Hellboy

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
I've just been watching the movie and I was wondering if anyone had got the trades? Are they any good? What are they about?

It was okay... But I'm talkign about Dark Horses comic book Hellboy.

ProjectX2 said:
I've just been watching the movie and I was wondering if anyone had got the trades? Are they any good? What are they about?

I didn't see the movie but I read the first trade. Just didn't do it for me. It wasn't a bad read, really, just not my kind of thing. I ended up returning it and buying something else.

There was a 25 cent issue that came out around the time of the movie that was pretty good though.

So what was the first trade about? If it was good I might get it but I don't want to be disappointed like in the Authority. Ellis's run was excellent but Millar's run was poor. Is it all done by Mike Mignola? Because his art is okay but I don't know about his story telling...

Also just wondering if any of you have got the DVD. I bought it today and I found out theirs lots of interesting stuff in it. Like 18 page bios...

I really dug that movie man. Made me go out and get some of the trades. I've got V1, 2, and 4. 1 is really just an introduction, and set-up for the other things. V2 is pretty cool, with Vampires and Nazis and whatnot. v4 is mainly short story style tales and one shots, wich are all really entertainint.

And I love, absolutly love Mignolia's artwork. I think it's beautiful.

Mignola's art is growing on me. I guess I will have to pick up the first trade sometime.

I had borrowed Chained Coffin and Other Stories from my library around a month ago. I didn't like it, mainly because I didn't understand much of it.

I borrowed Conqueror Worm today, and it was much better.

My interest in Hellboy has increased.

I'm a big fan of Hellboy but I'm even more into B.P.R.D., the "spinoff" title. Abe Sapien, Roger the Homunculus and Johan Krauss, the spirit in the containment suit, are all really cool characters.

vintsukka said:
I'm a big fan of Hellboy but I'm even more into B.P.R.D., the "spinoff" title. Abe Sapien, Roger the Homunculus and Johan Krauss, the spirit in the containment suit, are all really cool characters.

True that.

I found that, up until recently, the books never had any character. They were good, very good in places, if you like done-in-one supernatural tales with zero character development, just a cool idea and a mean looking protagonist. I love the shorter tales, barely any exposition, they just throw HB right into the mess, and the second he's solved it, The End.

Recently, Mignola is starting to really buff up the mythology and character behind HB himself.

I like them, I like the way they're a fairly easy read, not demanding too much attention, but always pretty to look at, and pretty creepy too. But I can see why some people hate them.

I thought the film was superb... except for the last 20 minutes. Because it was Blade. And Blade wasn't good enough in the first place.

Anyhoo, the film, I enjoyed so much that I went out and bought the first trade. Which I enjoyed. So I bought the next. And the next. (In fact, just today I tried to get the Hellboy DVD on a sale, but they didn't have it.)

I have all the Hellboy and BPRD stories to date. I think that they're really good comics.

I mean, the one I just read, The Third Wish, a villain Hellboy kills comes back... As. His. Chains.

A witch hates Hellboy and wants to dismember him, and has to imprison him. This witch is the witch of the sea. In an earlier Hellboy, Hellboy killed a werewolf and dropped his body into the sea. The werewolf's hatred for Hellboy lived beyond his life, and his bones are filled with hatred for Hellboy.

So, this witch, fashions chains out of this dead werewolf's bones. And the chains speak to Hellboy, and curse him and actively try to crush him when his name is said.

I found that to be particularly original.

Also, I think the Hellboy film changed a lot of what's in the comic (for example, Hellboy is a public image in the comic) but I think, the Hellboy film is almost just as good as the comics. It's a good film in its own right, and the new stuff added in is good on its own merit.

It's nice to have two versions of Hellboy in two different mediums.

But yeah, I recommend Hellboy.

The first trade of Hellboy, "Seed of Destruction", is the worst of the lot. It's just mediocre.

But the other five Hellboy trades, the Weird Tale anthologies, and the BPRD trades are all really good.

The latest BPRD storyline "The Eternal Machine" is shaping up to be really interesting, and the latest 2-issue Hellboy story "Makoma" was superb. I adored Makoma.

So... yeah, I love the Hellboy 'verse.

Last edited:
Bass said:
I mean, the one I just read, The Third Wish, a villain Hellboy kills comes back... As. His. Chains.

A witch hates Hellboy and wants to dismember him, and has to imprison him. This witch is the witch of the sea. In an earlier Hellboy, Hellboy killed a werewolf and dropped his body into the sea. The werewolf's hatred for Hellboy lived beyond his life, and his bones are filled with hatred for Hellboy.

So, this witch, fashions chains out of this dead werewolf's bones. And the chains speak to Hellboy, and curse him and actively try to crush him when his name is said.

I found that to be particularly original.

i think that one is called strange islands?, i just got that one in, the ending is very strange...

nigma said:
i think that one is called strange islands?, i just got that one in, the ending is very strange...

Hellboy: The Island?

No, the trade is called Strange Places. It reprints The Third Wish (which is the one I was talking about) and The Island.

Bass said:
I thought the film was superb... except for the last 20 minutes. Because it was Blade. And Blade wasn't good enough in the first place.

:shock:

Hellboy was kinda boring. Blade was so much better.

thee great one said:
:shock:

Hellboy was kinda boring. Blade was so much better.

The Blade movies were lackluster. At least Hellboy had an understandable plot.

But the ending of Hellboy is the exact same ending as in Blade.

Big temple. The villain metamorphoses into a god. The hero defeats said god-villain by putting something inside him that makes the god-villain explode.

I always thought the ending to Hellboy would've been better if he had actually done what he said he would've done and that's go into Hell and kick everyone's asses to save Liz. I think that would've been better.

As it is, Hellboy had a ****ty ending and, like Troy before it, got completely panned, even though the other 2 hours were great fun.

"She took his picture!" :lol:

Latest posts

Back