Hitch finishes Ultimates 2 #13 (No really!)

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Set now to be 40 pages, Bryan Hitch, penciler (and sometimes inker) of the infamous series that is Ultimates 2 (Written by Mark Millar) has announced that he's done with penciling the issue. This is not a joke, not a hoax, but honest truth. The issue, of course, is still scheduled to land on a comic shop near you on January 31st, 2007.

As Newsarama reports:

In a thread entitled "End of an ERA" over at the MillarWorld boards, super-star artist Bryan Hitch informed board regulars and er, lurkers that he's completed all 40 pages of the much-anticipated Ultimates 2 #13, the last chapter before the creative baton is passed on to the incoming teams of Jeph Loeb & Joe Madureira (Ultimates 3), and Loeb & Ed McGuinness (Ultimates 4).

"It's been years coming but today I feel both sad and abso-frakking-lutely overjoyed.

"The bane of my life for the last five years is gone from my day to day routine. Apart from a little tidying up, the penciling on the final issue of Ultimates 2 (13), all forty four pages of it, is done. Inking is going. Colouring will follow and within living memory the book will come out. That may sound a little harsh but no job in my 20 pro career has been like this; so hard, so creatively rewarding, so time-consuming and so fulfilling. It will be nice not to struggle, if only for a few weeks!

"I've lived with little else by way of work for so long and although a little sad to be done with it, the new stuff ahead (which I've already started) is so exciting I haven't time to mourn.

"It's been such a good working relationship with MM all these years that we have each other booked up forever. Our next book for Marvel, already underway is as different from Ultimates as I could hope without straying too far from what we do best. TV and movie news to come as well but next year is shaping up to be my most fun and most productive in a long time.

"So, goodbye Ultimates. It's been swell.

"Hello to the new crew. See you all Summer 2007. In print that is."

Read the rest by clicking on the link above.

Oh well...just over two years for thirteen issues...that sounds about right for the Ultimates. I'll be very sad to see this creative team go, but also really looking forward to this issue (its been a long time coming, no matter how much I'll miss Hitch and Millar).

Too bad Hitch likes his tidying up and make take another month... :D

I'd be willing to bet this will be out by end of January. Even with fixing stuff up, he's got over a month and a half between now and ship date. I'm sure that would allow him at least another few weeks to finish it before completing inking, coloring, and printing. For once I actually believe this one will come out on its (new, late) ship date of January 31.

...not to rain on anyone's parade, but...
He just did his job, I understand that it's really unusual to see it, but what he did shouldn't be treated as it is.
Anyway, I think I will miss his art, not his delays. I don't think I'm going to miss Millar that much.

Well that's ****ing fantastic. Probably won't see this till February, but that's still great that it's done.

Love Hitch's art, but it'd be nice to see this book actually start coming out on time.

Fantastic news, although for all I know "a little tidying up" could mean he still has to draw the last 39 pages. By the way, is the 40-page count inclusive or exclusive of the cover? Just curious.

:roll: so we'll get this mid 2007 and I'll get my subscription 3 weeks after that. Awesome.

Yeah, from what I've been able to tell the "tidying up" part was what caused the delays a lot of times.

Awww...damn...I was so hopeful this would actually be out on 1/31...but you're all slowing whittling away my faith. I'm like an 11 year old altar boy who's just been molested by his priest...damn you, non-believers (aka realists)!!!!!

Awww...damn...I was so hopeful this would actually be out on 1/31...but you're all slowing whittling away my faith. I'm like an 11 year old altar boy who's just been molested by his priest...damn you, non-believers (aka realists)!!!!!

Hey, you never know.

...even though you have a pretty good idea.

I have about as much faith in this issue coming out in the next two months as I have in Bush solving the worlds problems in the next two months.

Latest posts

Back