Hitch talks Ultimates - schedules and art

MoS

In an interview over on SBC, Bryan Hitch talks about what goes in to making the Ultimates what they are and gives a little insight on schedule issues:

"All of these factors, the constant state of relative upheaval, meant I was never settled enough to make any progress, by which point everything's in such chronic decline on the book schedule-wise that it was impossible to recover, and we just limped through to the end." Fortunately, while there have been some minor stumbles, the outlook on Ultimates 2 promises to push this stigma into distant memory. "We took a couple of major hits. I moved offices just as I started issue five and for some reason it took far longer than it should have to finish. I caught up a little on six but then whilst pencilling seven, Paul's mother suffered a series of major strokes from which she wasn't expected to survive. He was constantly travelling back and forth to Wales, where she lives (kind of like Peru to Americans) and so I ended up inking issue six whilst he was away, which wasn't a speedy process. Paul's mother made a full and amazing recovery and he returned to ink the bulk of seven, thereby preventing total baldness setting in from tearing my own hair out; it's hard enough doing an issue of Ultimates once without doing each one twice!"

"I also got married in May, which took the best part of three weeks from the schedule, so I've been running a little to catch up and should do so by the time issue nine is finished. Ten through twelve absolutely have to come out four weeks or less apart, otherwise the whole set of issues will lose their impact; it's important we get them out in that fashion even if we have to ship the previous three a little late to accommodate those final few."

On his working relationship with Millar:
It's obvious that the same groove is there between Hitch and Mark Millar. "It's almost like knowing you've met a woman you're gonna shag and marry, except in Mark's case, I'm neither gonna marry him, nor shag him, ever, while I have strength enough to prevent it.

"Creatively, it's a perfect marriage. It's not like we don't argue at times and don't get pissed off at each other. It's just a perfect creative marriage with Mark."

There are also some interesting insights on his working relationships with Warren Ellis and Mark Waid, along with his views on his own art and style. It's a great interview, and you can actually come away with a pretty good sense of WHO Bryan Hitch really is.

Bryan Hitch sounds like a nice guy.

Bunch of ****ing excuses, the guy is supposed to be committed to us, he's our *****.

Edit: that's it, I formally request that the words ***** and *** be taken off the swear filter, neither are particularly offense to anyone. And if anyone here calls another a *****, they just need to be ridiculed for being the campest comic geek alive.

Last edited:
Can you actually imagine if we did though? The site would melt. Didn't you even notice how bad it was with just having Dick off?

Oh and if anyone starts another **** swinging contest about who can swear the most, I'll ban the word again.

Have a nice day.

I'm not surprised by this interview. Considering the quality of his work, it makes sense to me that Hitch would be such a craftsman and artist. To me, the best thing he said (paraphrasing): "Your 'style' is just your errors."

That's exactly correct.

Caduceus said:
Didn't you even notice how bad it was with just having Dick off?
Actually no, I must have been away. And if it was abused it was probably only because it was censored. I don't see any problems with the word now.

You know if Marvel would put out a "Ultimates 2 #7 has been delayed because Brian Hitch got married and took a little time off before finishing it" I don't think any reasonable person would be angry.

Baxter said:
You know if Marvel would put out a "Ultimates 2 #7 has been delayed because Brian Hitch got married and took a little time off before finishing it" I don't think any reasonable person would be angry.

I would've been pissed. But then again I'm totally unreasonable, so...screw getting married. He's got more than a 50% chance of it ending up in divorce anyway, whats he thinking?

DIrishB said:
I would've been pissed. But then again I'm totally unreasonable, so...screw getting married. He's got more than a 50% chance of it ending up in divorce anyway, whats he thinking?

Isnt that why most of volume 1 was late? Because he was getting divorced.

Thanks for posting, Rhyo.

And really, who does he think he's kidding? Ultimates 2 is better than marriage.

Please don't tell Mrs. E I said that.

René said:
Isnt that why most of volume 1 was late? Because he was getting divorced.

Damn that Bryan. He's always getting "hitched".

ProjectX2 said:
Damn that Bryan. He's always getting "hitched".

Ba-dum-dum.

Actually part of the delay was because his daughter had some sort of illness.

UltimateE said:
Ba-dum-dum.

Actually part of the delay was because his daughter had some sort of illness.

Pfft. Illnesses. :D

DIrishB said:
Right, I mean come on Hitchy, priorities. Screw marriage, man, get whats important done first, namely, The Ultimates.

;)

I mean really, what's more important pleasing your fans or the women who sexually pleasures you? Trust me, in ten years only one of them is going to be loyal to him. I think you know who it will be.

Baxter said:
Truth. Too bad not all of comics readers are reasonable people. :lol:

Latest posts

Back