How do they make a profit?

Ultimates said:
See, I was thinking of maybe setting up a stand in the mall for comics, graphic novels, and maybe some other comic related stuff. I figured its not too expensive to rent one of those in the mall, and there is literally like ONE other comic book place in this town, and out of the way to boot. I think it would be a good idea, I guess the only problem I was thinking was that if you only make like 3-5 bucks per TPB, how many people are gonna come buy them, thus making profit? I figured the way to counter this on a level would be to open WED for new comics, and then sat and sun, so i could keep my full time job and do that on the side. Any advice?
Problem is, you need to spend $300 a month on comics with a Diamond account. You won;t be able to make money if you don't get a Diamond account, as you won't have easy access to places like Marvel and Dc and Image and Dark Horse, i.e.: the top publishers. So you need to be prepared to shell out $300 a month, plus paying for delivery. I don't know about USA, but comics here ship late on the day they come in, so not a lot of people make more money on a wednesday than they would on a thursday.

ourchair said:
I was basically debunking Pandrio's belief that it was dependent on how much you ordered of a single item rather than of total stock.
I didn't have a "belief" I thought it was something like that, but i didn't believe it was exactly like that, so you helped me more than hurt me. :lol:

Pandrio said:
I didn't have a "belief" I thought it was something like that, but i didn't believe it was exactly like that, so you helped me more than hurt me. :lol:
If I actually wanted to hurt you, I'd ship you a crate full of Filipino cannibals. :p

DIrishB said:
Those are cheaper in bulk shipments right?
No, but ordering large quantities of Filipino cannibals from Diamond entitles you to a free bust of Ferdinand Marcos from Diamond Select.

GMaster said:
Problem is, you need to spend $300 a month on comics with a Diamond account. You won;t be able to make money if you don't get a Diamond account, as you won't have easy access to places like Marvel and Dc and Image and Dark Horse, i.e.: the top publishers. So you need to be prepared to shell out $300 a month, plus paying for delivery. I don't know about USA, but comics here ship late on the day they come in, so not a lot of people make more money on a wednesday than they would on a thursday.

They're not allowed sell on Wednesdays anyway, part of the Diamond UK contracts.

Ultimates said:
I was just in deep thought and thinking about something. How exactly does a comic book shop make a good profit? How much of a discount do they get? This has been really boggling my mind, and just wondering if someone knows the answer to this?

I can now answer this question, its sort of like what i said above. Except that the more you sell of a publisher, the more of a discount they give you, but they start you off at about 35% discount off of the cover price and the more that you sell ,the more of a discount that you get from that publisher. I don't have the exact numbers but….for DC if you sell $0-$500 you get 35% if you sell $501-$1000 you get I think 40% and the more you sell the higher amount you get off.

icemastertron said:
Why is that, anyways?

Diamond US ships to Diamond UK at the same time they ship to their US stores. US retailers usually get their books Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday morning whereas UK retailers get their books Wednesday afternoon, Thursday morning. Its to keep a uniform on-sale time, to prevent one store geting & selling their books before another can.

Latest posts

Back