How many members here are Christians?

It might be worthwhile to track down a church that is part of a denominational conference where the ministers are paid by a district conference, not by the individual church. That way, any money raised through tithes and offering WON'T go towards the minister's salary, it goes towards the maintenance of the church and, more imporrtantly, whichever charitable and outreach programs the church sponsors.

I know the United Methodist church works this way, and I'd be surprised if there were not other churches out there that also work that way. That said, you still get the occasional money sermon--but always in the framework that people don't really have a claim on anything that they have--it's all God's anyway--and that to be good stewards of what he's letting us hold on to for now, we should be sure that we are spending it in good ways he would approve of. That includes the Biblical tithe, but also personal expenditures that God would approve of.

Anyway, that's my two cents about money sermons.

You make a good point, but I'm starting to let go of the concepts of religion and focusing more on spirituality. Although where the money went, although important, was my biggest peeve. I've always been a pretty good organizer since I was a kid ranging from baseball games to local club events. When the pastor told the younger kids like myself to start bringing more friends and attract a younger demographic, I brought in alot of my old friends I hung out with in lesser developed parts of the city. I figured if they couldn't get away from their troubles at home, maybe the church could help. In the end, it did more worse than good. My pastor tried disciplining me for bringing in hoodlums who were potentially looking for guidance and were quickly shunned. After he tried to contact my dad to get me trouble I just went ahead and cut all ties.

I didn't understand how someone who claims to be in touch with the Lord could be so cold. Even now I find it hard to believe how someone held in such high regard can just shun others for not fitting into a certain appeal and wake up the next morning about helping the needy.

I have a couple of other books people might find interesting. (Yes, I know, these should probably be posted in the Book Forum, but they're on-topic here. Besides, I'm the Site Mom, and should be allowed to get away with something like this once in a while. :wink: )

The first is Finding God in Unexpected Places, by Philip Yancey. Yancey is a Christian writer who's published several books. This one doesn't get into religion so much as it just relates some of Yancey's stories about people dealing with concepts of God, the causes of suffering, and the messages of Jesus and the Bible. The book has several sections, and the chapters are related to the theme, but for the most part you can read them in any order.

A Spiritual Field Guide, by Bernard Brady and Mark Neuzil. If you have any interest in the natural world (or, if you're like me and really love the wilderness and the Great Outdoors), there's something here for you. Each entry talks about finding God in or having a spiritual connection with nature. The selections range in length from a few sentences to two or three pages. Again, you can read them in any order. They draw from different belief systems, too; although many are from the Bible, there are quotes from Native Americans, religions of the East, and even statements published by the United Nations.

You make a good point, but I'm starting to let go of the concepts of religion and focusing more on spirituality. Although where the money went, although important, was my biggest peeve. I've always been a pretty good organizer since I was a kid ranging from baseball games to local club events. When the pastor told the younger kids like myself to start bringing more friends and attract a younger demographic, I brought in alot of my old friends I hung out with in lesser developed parts of the city. I figured if they couldn't get away from their troubles at home, maybe the church could help. In the end, it did more worse than good. My pastor tried disciplining me for bringing in hoodlums who were potentially looking for guidance and were quickly shunned. After he tried to contact my dad to get me trouble I just went ahead and cut all ties.

I didn't understand how someone who claims to be in touch with the Lord could be so cold. Even now I find it hard to believe how someone held in such high regard can just shun others for not fitting into a certain appeal and wake up the next morning about helping the needy.

See, my pastor has given sermons about throwing birthday parties for hookers as a good example of bringing God's love to people who feel cut off from God. He loves saying that the Church is the only organization that exists entirely for its non-members.

I'm sorry your minister is such a hypocritical Christian...that's the type that does more harm than good!

One of the blogs I follow regularly is Clerical Whispers, which offers news of the Roman Catholic and the Anglican/Episcopal Churches. The person who runs that site just posted this YouTube music video of Simon and Garfunkel's The Sound of Silence, and it's a pretty good piece. It's like watching the nuns in the Sister Act movies performing pop tunes -- it gives the song a whole new meaning.

[youtube]dySZpw4JJC4[/youtube]

The same YouTube site also has some of this group's other videos.

Latest posts

Back