How the Music Business Spent the Summer Killing Itself

E

Excelsior Club
Fascinating article from AdvertisingAge : How the Music Business Spent the Summer Killing Itself

I am amazed at the inability of the RIAA to "get it" and make adjustments in a staggeringly fast-changing market. This particularly stood out:

Meanwhile, we're seeing artists and labels pulling music from iTunes in hopes of juicing album sales. Warner, for instance, just pulled Estelle's entire album "Shine" from iTunes because it didn't want fans to be able to buy just its ubiquitous hit single, "American Boy" (featuring Kanye West). It's kind of sweetly principled that Estelle -- and/or the suits at Warner -- think that "Shine" is a complete work of art that must be purchased in its entirety and then presumably listened to from start to finish. Principled but idiotic -- and the proof is that "Shine" and "American Boy" are both now in freefall on the Billboard charts.

How the record companies can continue to employ these retards is incomprehensible.

Interesting.

This is kind of what me and ourchair talked about briefly a while ago - the idea that the traditional music industry is losing its relevancy in the age of music downloading - and its coincidentally the subject I'm strongly considering for a 20 page English paper I have to write this semester. (I was just going to start typing up the sort of proposal thing for it.)

I need to find more articles like this.

Interesting.

This is kind of what me and ourchair talked about briefly a while ago - the idea that the traditional music industry is losing its relevancy in the age of music downloading - and its coincidentally the subject I'm strongly considering for a 20 page English paper I have to write this semester. (I was just going to start typing up the sort of proposal thing for it.)

I need to find more articles like this.
I've been writing quite a few papers about it as well, actually.

I'll point you to some articles tonight... as soon as I finish an order about the music industry and disintermediation.

This is kind of what me and ourchair talked about briefly a while ago - the idea that the traditional music industry is losing its relevancy in the age of music downloading

The hilarious thing is that it's not like music is less popular or anything - quite the opposite. And in spite of that, they are managing to sell fewer albums.

i remember when Estelle first started out she was a female MC and she sucked.
that would explain why she sings now but she still sucks imo

The hilarious thing is that it's not like music is less popular or anything - quite the opposite. And in spite of that, they are managing to sell fewer albums.

What's an album? :sure:

Latest posts

Back