How to read New52

theCount

So I'm finaly there. Starting the NEW52. The question is how do I read it?

Let's just say that I wan't to read all the Justice League and it's members titles and some aditional. In what order di i read them? In order of their release? Titile by title? How did you read it?

Thanks.

I haven't read any of it, but as far as I understand, it's very confusing to figure out how it fits together. You can probably find a reading order online though.

The best way to do it is by order of its release. Even if they happen to have stories that crossover within other titles, it's still easier to do it by release date.

I'm still amazed at just how bungled this quasi-reboot that was the New 52 ended up being. Instead of just outright rebooting it, they choose to keep some stories in continuity, ignore others, and generally confuse the heck out of their fans. Not to mention the still unexplained inconsistencies or outright lack of logic regarding the Batman timeline. Apparently he only started about 5 or 6 years ago, yet in that time trained and partnered with 5 different Robins (a new one each year! Seriously, Bruce, if that's your track record, just stop), has a kid that's at least ten years old with a woman he didn't meet until after he became Batman (unless there was some accelerated growth thing used I'm unaware of), etc.

It's such a cluster-bleep of epic proportions. Maybe it just bothers me more than most since I'm such a stickler for continuity and timelines.

I'm still amazed at just how bungled this quasi-reboot that was the New 52 ended up being. Instead of just outright rebooting it, they choose to keep some stories in continuity, ignore others, and generally confuse the heck out of their fans. Not to mention the still unexplained inconsistencies or outright lack of logic regarding the Batman timeline. Apparently he only started about 5 or 6 years ago, yet in that time trained and partnered with 5 different Robins (a new one each year! Seriously, Bruce, if that's your track record, just stop), has a kid that's at least ten years old with a woman he didn't meet until after he became Batman (unless there was some accelerated growth thing used I'm unaware of), etc.

It's such a cluster-bleep of epic proportions. Maybe it just bothers me more than most since I'm such a stickler for continuity and timelines.

In an early issue of New 52 Teen Titans you see a picture of Tim Drake as Robin with Batman and in Batman it says former Robin when labeling Tim Drake. Then, in a later issue of Teen Titans, Tim Drake says he's never been Robin. They can't even keep the New 52 continuity straight.

Last edited:
In an early issue of New 52 Teen Titans you see a picture of Tim Drake as Robin with Batman and in Batman it says former Robin when labeling Tim Drake. Then, in a later issue of Teen Titans, Tim Drake says he's never been Robin. They can't even keep the New 52 continuity straight.

Facepalm.

What the hell were DC's editorial teams smoking before, during, and after the New 52 launch. And can I has some pleeze?

Facepalm.

What the hell were DC's editorial teams smoking before, during, and after the New 52 launch. And can I has some pleeze?

I think what really ticks me off is in Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics he created the perfect amalgam Superman that had traits from every version of Superman from his creation to pre-New 52 and then DC promptly ignored it for the "edgy" and "cool" Superman that is in the comics now.

I think what really ticks me off is in Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics he created the perfect amalgam Superman that had traits from every version of Superman from his creation to pre-New 52 and then DC promptly ignored it for the "edgy" and "cool" Superman that is in the comics now.

But I thought you loved 90's era comic tropes? ;)

From Tony Daniel's run on Detective Comics

vr7gpy_zps286a4a68.png

I don't think I've posted this before. I'm not really a big fan of these Hitler reacts videos, but this one is well worth the watch.

[video=youtube;hBKxaqTH2w8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBKxaqTH2w8[/video]

It seems they are ending All Star Westerns. That was the last of the 52 I held on to. This whole mess was a disappointment.

I'm gonna bump this, because I just grabbed a bunch of New 52 Bat-family comics after Arkham Asylum made me wistful for Batman comics. I dropped Detective Comics pretty fast, but I remember really enjoying most of Snyder's Batman stuff (basically the first two-thirds of both the Court/Night of Owls and Death of the Family), right up until Zero Year, which I've been hearing ends on a high note.

SO, I guess, what else is worth checking out? I grabbed all of Batman and Batgirl, and the various tie-in issues for Night of Owls and Zero Year (except for Batwing and All-Star Western; did I make a mistake by skipping those?), but I'm interested in reading whatever else was quality too, regardless of hero.

Wait wait wait. The question was "how do I read it?" and no one said "use your eyes" and "sound out the tricky words" What happened to this site that was no obvious and sarcastic comments? I'm not mad I'm disappointed.

I'm gonna bump this, because I just grabbed a bunch of New 52 Bat-family comics after Arkham Asylum made me wistful for Batman comics. I dropped Detective Comics pretty fast, but I remember really enjoying most of Snyder's Batman stuff (basically the first two-thirds of both the Court/Night of Owls and Death of the Family), right up until Zero Year, which I've been hearing ends on a high note.

SO, I guess, what else is worth checking out? I grabbed all of Batman and Batgirl, and the various tie-in issues for Night of Owls and Zero Year (except for Batwing and All-Star Western; did I make a mistake by skipping those?), but I'm interested in reading whatever else was quality too, regardless of hero.

Honestly I didn't find much beyond the Court of Owls and earlier Batwoman stuff to be worthwhile. Swamp Thing was OK and Animal Man was pretty good. All-Star Western was decent.

It seemed like they were relying on the gimmick of a new streamlined universe and new #1s without getting good writers to tell good stories. It seemed like there were a ton of bad 90s writers thrown on these books and the quality of the stories reflected that. I made it a point to read at least the first 5 issues of all 52 books and nothing stood out as exceptional even though there were a handful of decent books. It was my first large-scale exposure to the DCU and it was disappointing, and that's putting it mildly.

This. I'm getting upset at the attitudes of people lately.

It's one thing to make a dumb joke, but sometimes it just comes across as jerky. Know the difference.

We're going to start infracting stuff like that from this point on. Last warning.

Unless i read that wrong I was not trying to be a jerk to the original poster. I just just thought it was a funny joke. I'm sorry if took wrong.

Unless i read that wrong I was not trying to be a jerk to the original poster. I just just thought it was a funny joke. I'm sorry if took wrong.

Chalk it up to lack of sleep and touchiness over some recent interpersonal issues on this site, but I COMPLETELY misread your post.

I am so dumb.

I get what you are saying now.

I'm so embarrassed.

Carry on.

Latest posts

Back