How will George W. Bush be remembered in history?

How will Geoge W. Bush be remembered in history?

• Fondy (he was a wartime president, and they all recieve critisism)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Badly (he was universally hated outside of America)

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • A little bit of A, a little bit of B (meh)

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • He won't be remembered at all, they'll just skim over that chapter

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Grocer Man

Well, he liked to talk about this.

(I admit I stole this thread idea. Also, I thought it was too broad a topic for the Politics thread.)

Last edited:
I voted badly. Not saying he was horrible but I think people will remember him as a war hungry idiot who said stuff like "They misunderestimated me"

At best, the man will be remembered as one of the most incompetent president's ever. For the sake of argument, I'm going to say he was a man of integrity and a good, well-intentioned man. So he was met with terrible circumstances: 9/11 and the war on terror.

However, he was so incredibly poor at it. The war ruined the economy but America into a huge deficit, failed to stop Al-Qaeda or even get Osama Bin Laden, entered a bizarrely irrelevant war to the war on terror, and destabilised the Middle East.

At best.

But more likely, he will be remembered as one of the most incompetent and most corrupt Presidents in history. He treated the US economy as an ATM for his Wall Street friends - and left New Orleans in ruins after a hurricane. Cheney, Rumsfeld, and the rest will be remembered, even by the right wing given time, as a terrible president who was so awful, the country became hated abroad and became so desperate for change from his failure as president, that the first black man got elected as president. And that little shining light (unless Obama turns out to be even worse) will be the only nice thing anyone can say about the administration.

And if we're lucky, they'll get impeached for some of the **** they pulled and end up in prison.

I think it largely depends on how important the current chapter of our history turns out to be. I think if America starts losing hegemonic power to our economic troubles and a bad reputation, his reign will be regarded as a turning point in our history--a terrible one. Otherwise, I think he might end up being briefly mentioned in the textbooks with a note about his more unpopular decisions, like illegally wiretapping civilians and creating a failed system that resulted in foreign torture camps.

The guy who treated his presidency like going to school

he started his first term all gung-ho, but then started thinking with his Dick

Last edited:
I think he'll be viewed as a tragic figure. A man who simply could not deal with what he faced, and therefore things got bad for a while.

Honestly, it all depends on the next four to eight years... If things take a long time to get better, he'll be seen as a man who didn't know how to prepare for the future, but not a man who really ****ed everything up. If Obama succeeds and things get better quickly, then it'll just go to show how truly bad he was at being the president.

He will be this generation's Nixon.

I mean that in more senses than just corrupt: As a man who was caught with his pants down in doing reprehensible things. As a leader who implemented wrong-headed policies with the presumption that he was always doing the right thing, and as a person who took advice with the best of intentions from people with the worst of intentions.

I can't see him becoming Nixon, because there was nothing secretive about this administration's wrongdoings... Nixon was incredibly intelligent, and aside from being a liar who reached a criminal level in his paranoia, people tend to forget that he was generally a pretty good president. Good things came out of the Nixon White House. We can't forget that he's the guy who ended Vietnam.

And on Nixon's more evil supervillain side, everything he did was covered a hundred times over in secrecy and his failure as a president comes more from the fact that he was actively deceiving the American people, and not that he was responsible for reprehensible or flat-out idiotic governing tactics.

George W. Bush's Presidency was an exercise in stupidity. He proves that while any idiot with his heart set on the White House can become the President, not everybody deserves it. Honestly, I think he's directly responsible for the death of the "Hyuck, hell now, I want to have a beer with the guy! he should run my country!" mindset while voting. He proved that Mediocrity can reign supreme, and showed us all the consequences of living under those conditions.

He'll be a sore spot for generations to come, but I doubt anyone will place him next to Nixon in the history books.

A little of column A, a little of column B. I mean the Iraq war has been a fiasco, but it did take a dictator out of power (though it was our fault he was there in the first place). The national debt is his administration's fault, but the the economic crisis not so much.

A little of column A, a little of column B. I mean the Iraq war has been a fiasco, but it did take a dictator out of power (though it was our fault he was there in the first place). The national debt is his administration's fault, but the the economic crisis not so much.

A dictator they created. and yeah there's hope that our troops will be pulled out of iraq, but they'll be sent right off to pakistan for even more war. yay war! I guess. Guns and Butter Economy FTW!

Little A, little B. History is ultimately written, unfortunately, by those in power, and he has both supporters and detractors in power.

I like that him being a wartime president is potentially used as an excuse for his poor numbers since he is generally blamed for starting it.

I like that him being a wartime president is potentially used as an excuse for his poor numbers since he is generally blamed for starting it.

I need the poll to be fair, and that was all I could think of.

And while he did start the War in Iraq, the War in Afghanistan was reactionary.

Oh, he'll be remembered, mostly for one of the most classic blunders; "Never get involved in a land war in Asia".

I do recall that he was the best president to Africa, with sending aid and helping. They actually really like him there.

So... there's that...

I think his administration with just be seen as a cluster **** of incompetent and bad choices. Even if in 100 year the Iraq War turns out to have been a great step for the middle east Bush would still be heavily criticize for ****ing so much of it.

He is the one we all misunderestimated - he knew how hard it was to put food on our family and he was the only one who asked if our children is learning.

While I do hate being deployed because of this war....I did enjoy the huge pay raises he gave the military.

And trust me...he IS hated just about everywhere outside of the continental United States.

Latest posts

Back