How will the Phoenix turn out in the UU?

Re: How will the Pheonix turn out in the UU?

E said:
Kirkman has been the only one with the balls (or courtesy) to post, but Millar has said he's been on and I *think* BKV has. I'm sure Bendis has. Warren Ellis is way too good for us, so I doubt he has. As for other Ultimate writers - no idea.

Can you blame Bendis for not speaking up, with all the Bendis bashing that goes on here?

the watcher said:
Can you blame Bendis for not speaking up, with all the Bendis bashing that goes on here?

C'mon!!! :sure: Whats a writer to do without a lil' criticism... If he's ever read anything off this forum he's bound to do better in the future. Dont get me wrong Bendis is god though. Who knows maybe one of you guys were the basis for one of his arcs in spiderman.

Last edited:

Ultimate Cap 4 President said:
C'mon!!! :sure: Whats a writer to do without a lil' criticism... If he's ever read anything off this forum he's bound to do better in the future. Dont get me wrong Bendis is god though. Who knows maybe one of you guys were the basis for one of his arcs in spiderman.
I was. I'm really a giant orange creture with a messed up face that sees a bald man telling me things about my father.

I wouldn't say Bendis is god. He's done some of my favorite comics of the past few years (Daredevil, the first arc to New Avengers) but he's had his share of problem runs too. He's deffinatly better tahn most when he's really behind his work.

Baxter said:
I was. I'm really a giant orange creture with a messed up face that sees a bald man telling me things about my father.

I wouldn't say Bendis is god. He's done some of my favorite comics of the past few years (Daredevil, the first arc to New Avengers) but he's had his share of problem runs too. He's deffinatly better tahn most when he's really behind his work.

Yea... God was probably taking it a lil' too far. But he is involved in like every marvel book known to man in some way. I even hear he wrote a section of the bible. Anyone hear any truth to that?

Ultimate Cap 4 President said:
Yea... God was probably taking it a lil' too far. But he is involved in like every marvel book known to man in some way. I even hear he wrote a section of the bible. Anyone hear any truth to that?
The irony of a jewish comic writer from Cleveland of all places writng a segment of the bible?

BRILLENT!

Cleveland sucks.

First off, Bendis is the kind of writer that will be with us for a LONG time. He'll write a great story every now and then, but most of his stories will be inbetween good a great, or simply bad.

Mark Millar on the other hand will leave us with great stories...but over a small amount of years (I think Millar will ultimately burn out, but I hope I'm wrong). Bendis will tell FAR MORE stories, but again they will be spread amongst good, bad, and ugly stories.

Now to the topic of the thread.

Thank God. 616 X-Men got redundent years ago, even before Xorn, a Phenoix Egg, or anything else. Pheonix started off simple and cool, but I'm tired of it. Ultimate Universe has been handling Pheonix very well.

And do not worry at all about Pheonix being the core of the Earth. The Church of the Shi'Ar Enlightenment was totally wrong about Pheonix once, is it unconseviable that they're fundmentally wrong on most of it?

That said, it's cool Robert Kirkman is hanging around this site for more than that one post in "Robert Kirkman Answers Questions" or whatever the exact title of the thread is. It is coolness.

Also, never EVER have I thought Robert was rushing anything in Ultimate X-Men. It's clear to me at least that Robert's building up to something down the line and we've just seen the tip of it. It's a slow build going on and Jean will be center in it. Maybe (since it seems Robert has confirmed he'll tackle the subject again) he'll be documenting the slow decline of Jean into becoming the monsterous Pheonix. Each arc getting closer and closer Pheonix and farther and farther from Jean Grey.

And since it's Robert we're talking about, the hints will be everywhere.

And as for the out come of the next Ultimate X-Men. For all my *****ing about Magician. I hope he lives through it now. A powerhouse reality wrapping villain that doesn't die or go insane? It's a powerful threat and a good story can be made around it.

Still on the other hand, I want to see him die. So I'm torn. lol

I think it's obvious what Kirkman is doing with Phoenix. I'm hoping the Brood story line is played out, a little more down to earth, though. Taking the Space Opera of the Clarmont/Byrne story and turning it into an earthly "horror" tale would be sweet. Ultimate Corsair and the Ultimate Starslammers as down to earth mercs? The Brood would no longer be Dan O'Bannon rip-offs but "demons." In fact, I already believe those little translucent demons hanging out with Jean are the Ultimized Brood.

And before I forget, welcome to our fold, Mr. Kirkman.

As far as people here and the Ultimate writers are concerned, I think this sums it up:

Bendis = Quantity

Millar = Quality

PEACE!

Leather

Last edited:
The Brood already exist. They appeared as creatures that the X-Men fought in the danger room. Though they were not specifically named, the resemblance was obvious. At least to me.

I would love to see a non-danger room Brood. I would!

But not as Jean's Goblin/Demon/Servents. That's lame in my opinion.

God it's...not even funny joking about. They're the goblins kinda like what Madelyne Pryor could summon and control in 616.

Thus me calling them Goblins...since her name was The Goblin Queen.

Hrm. Interesting... Drastically different from 616, and I certainly hope that Kirkman's take on Pheonix... Personally I am very glad he's not rushing into it, as its definitely an issue that needs to resolve over time, and I think he's still getting into the swing of the book (honestly, each issue gets better and better)...

But I need to ask whether it will also be drastically different from the Movieverse... I mean, I have no doubts that it WILL be different from the movies, but I'm a little nervous about any writer approaching Jean as a person with multiple personality disorder... I just feel like there are much better ways to work up to that.

Most importantly, that story needs to be Epic. Pheonix can't be a Sub-Plot, and the elements for an Ultimate Dark Pheonix Saga have already begun to fall into place... If Ultimate Bishop is coming back from the future as a member of the XSE to stop Cable from Killing the X-Men (like I suspect), and he is also the same teenaged street thug mentioned in the Bendis UXM arc, then the future Cable is coming from isn't that long away... Perhaps he comes to stop Jean from ever turning evil... We also have the Shi'ar, who I am still thinking might be Aliens but regardless are essentially the same people who were once the Hellfire Club, who worship this highly destructive omnipotent being. One of the highest ranking Hellfire members during the original Pheonix Saga was Emma Frost, and she needs to be getting her funding from somewhere... At the same time, we have Apocalypse using his horsemen to ready his entrance into our world... And, somewhere, Magneto has to be planning something. The Ultimate Universe from the X-Men's perspective is, to use the cliche, a powderkeg. One spark and everything falls apart...

There needs to be a Saga, and not like a six part arc at the end of Kirkman's run... There needs to be an epic story told here and that should take a good twelve issues at least.

I'm interested to see what happens, to say the least.

Agreed. Pheonix should be big. Involve the Ultimates as well...too big for Spider-Man, and maybe have Fan Four come in.

And it should not be a mini. I'm tired of minis, of cross overs, and all the other tactics to get more readers. Tell a good arc in the title.

Besides I think the TPB will kill the crossover. It's cheaper to wait until they collect the whole thing over all the different titles into one book for 15 bucks instead of buying all the tie ins.

Sorry...went on a little non-related Ultimate X-Men rant about my dislikings of certain business tactics in comics in general....

You're not sorry at all, are you?

But yeah. Ultimates definitely. Ultimate Fantastic Four definitely... Ultimate Spidey, only as far as his connection to Kitty takes him, because he has no major connection with the government, and I'd like to see the Government try to kill Jean, while the X-Men try to stop them.

So SHEILD in the place of the Shi'ar?

That works, they tried to put down Hulk and Jean could out power Hulk...Jean could destroy PLANETS and STARS!

Well...at least she can 616...I expect the power range to be about the same.

And of course I'm sorry...why would I say it if I wasn't? I cheap laugh? Nah...

Foolsfolly said:
Agreed. Pheonix should be big. Involve the Ultimates as well...too big for Spider-Man, and maybe have Fan Four come in.

And it should not be a mini. I'm tired of minis, of cross overs, and all the other tactics to get more readers. Tell a good arc in the title.

Besides I think the TPB will kill the crossover. It's cheaper to wait until they collect the whole thing over all the different titles into one book for 15 bucks instead of buying all the tie ins.

Sorry...went on a little non-related Ultimate X-Men rant about my dislikings of certain business tactics in comics in general....
Perfect. A Non Mini huge UXM story guest starring The Ultimates or SHIELD is what should the pheonix should involve.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Perfect. A Non Mini huge UXM story guest starring The Ultimates or SHIELD is what should the pheonix should involve.
If the Phoenix has mystic origins Dr Strange should join in, they made a really interesting idea with him and they should definitely explore further

Agreed. I like the young Dr. Strange that's trying to live up to his father more than 616. But I don't think it's going mystic. But reguardless when the crap hits the fan someone with the potental power of Dr. Strange would make a fine addition to saving the world.

Would he fit in the story? That's a completely different statment. But I wouldn't mind seeing him in a non-Bendis Ultimate story.

Latest posts

Back