How would you rate the Ultimate Clone Saga?

How would you rate the Ultimate Clone Saga?

Votes: 13 21.3%

Votes: 6 9.8%

Votes: 10 16.4%

Votes: 17 27.9%

Votes: 12 19.7%

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
Umm...yeah. I'd been meaning to bring up most of TwiglightEl's complaints, because he's right. Well, not ALL of them, because I never analyzed the series closely enough to realize all of that, but seriously; The most logical course of action is more dead MJ and an arc where loose ends are tied up.

I'm going with * star.

Why?

Because despite the overall bollocksness of the arc. He did start out strong and had some solid issues. Those can't be overlooked. But they were mostly build-ups with questions. Then by #3, we got answers and it started spinning outta control. From there the whole thing turned into a Bagley/Bendis "yeabuhwhat?" Ball O ****.

And to be honest---just because a ball o **** is rolling downhil on target don't mean that it ain't a ball o ****. Spade is a spade people.

So one star for some effort.

So one star for some effort.

Thats funny, because (and I probably sound like a giant douche for saying this) but most of the last few arcs seem to me like there has been no effort whatsoever. Story OR art.

Thats funny, because (and I probably sound like a giant douche for saying this) but most of the last few arcs seem to me like there has been no effort whatsoever. Story OR art.

i agree on the art, it's like Bagley's completley checked out, not to mention the horrible colorist thats working on the book now

I'm tellin' ya, and I don't blame Bagley thinking about it, he just wants to get the hell outta USM!

I've mentioned this before, but when drawing the same character for 12 years straight, people tend to get a tendency to not want to anymore. It's why he turned this book down 4 times. Would I have wanted him to still do his best like before? Of course; without a doubt. He's just so excited that #110 is almost here, that he's all school girl giddy about doing any book that doesn't have Spider-Man in it.

No

I stopped reading USM once I read Watchmen and noticed how terrible it was. And the Clone Saga looked worse than average from covers and the occasional flip-through in Border's... so... I have nothing to add to this.

I'm going with * star.

Why?

Because despite the overall bollocksness of the arc. He did start out strong and had some solid issues. Those can't be overlooked. But they were mostly build-ups with questions. Then by #3, we got answers and it started spinning outta control. From there the whole thing turned into a Bagley/Bendis "yeabuhwhat?" Ball O ****.
That's my fundamental problem with Bendis. I actually forgive him SOLELY for the good will he earned from me with Sam & Twitch and his Image crime novels, before he got famous.

As such, I probably like some of his Marvel work a few notches more than they deserve, but all of that is completely eradicated by his consistent tendency to have his stories pose questions that are usually ten times better than his answers (at least, when he's not resorting to absolute cop-outs).

So yeah, I agree with your remarks, VVD. But my scoring system would make it a zero, even if our appraisal of this arc would be identical.

i'm back & it's been over a year since i was last on...man time flies.

i thought it was ok but could have been a lot better.
i thought it was pointless bringing his 'dad' in for such a short period of time during the CLONE SAGA! kinda obvious yeah?

i'm back & it's been over a year since i was last on...man time flies.

i thought it was ok but could have been a lot better.
i thought it was pointless bringing his 'dad' in for such a short period of time during the CLONE SAGA! kinda obvious yeah?
'Bout time you listened to me and got back on the site!

Let's flip this argument for a moment:

I would rather prefer the Ultimate Clone Saga to the 616 version!

A lot of you are complaining about plot holes in the Ultimate version, try deciphering what the h*ll was going on in the YEAR LONG 616 version of a few years back....

I'd rather chase a heroin addicted kangaroo jumping on a pogo stick in a rubber room then read THAT again.........

But that, I'm afraid isn't really applicable.

Bendis is under no pressure to redo the Clone Saga. He chose to ultimize it because he thought his version of it was good. Because it turned out to be an indecipherable mess, one can't say, "Ah, but it's better than the original!" because he was never under any pressure to 'beat' the Clone Saga, only to tell a good Spidey story. If he was forced to tell the story, like say, he has to do Spider-Man's origin, then the comparison would be very applicable and saying, "Well, at least it's better than the original" would be a saving grace, because it had to be done one way or another. This wasn't the case for the Clone Saga, and thus, it's comparative success to the original is, I believe, moot.

Gave it a three... The first half was really fun to read, but the ending kinda just happened. Didn't really thrill me that Gwen Stacy wasn't real and that Ock was behind it all. Wish Bendis would have planned it a bit better...

But that, I'm afraid isn't really applicable.

Bendis is under no pressure to redo the Clone Saga. He chose to ultimize it because he thought his version of it was good. Because it turned out to be an indecipherable mess, one can't say, "Ah, but it's better than the original!" because he was never under any pressure to 'beat' the Clone Saga, only to tell a good Spidey story. If he was forced to tell the story, like say, he has to do Spider-Man's origin, then the comparison would be very applicable and saying, "Well, at least it's better than the original" would be a saving grace, because it had to be done one way or another. This wasn't the case for the Clone Saga, and thus, it's comparative success to the original is, I believe, moot.

good point. what is moot?

A cow's foot. :p

I used it to as an adjective to mean, "of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic" (according to dictionary.com).

I really don't know how to rate this. The beginning was actually really good, and Spider-woman was great, but they really didn't go anywhere with this story.

First, MJ Goblin was just there to create drama and give her more psychological damage, as if she didn't have enough already.

Second, the reasons for creating the clones was interesting, but again, we never went anywhere with it. I mean, the government's never trusted Fury, but trying to create a second team of superhumans just seems like it should have been a bigger deal then they made it. Especially if the got Octavius' help... Speaking of which, why did they get Octavuis? Aren't there any sane people they could get to help them make clones? 0_o

Third, Doc Magnetopus doesn't even make any sense… At all. Read the Hollywood arc; the guy's talking to his arms, showing he has a connection with his arms, not metal. I know we melted them at the end of Hollywood, but hey, we've had people resurrected from worse :p

Fourth, Richard Parker. If nothing else, they could have at least had Sue Storm give some techno babble about why he was aging so fast.

Fifth, why did all the clones die? Okay, so Spider-woman's still somewhere, Scorpion and Gwenage are in SHIELD custody, but I felt like those were just excuses to get them out of the way for awhile. Yeah, yeah, Fury had the whole "get to work" line, but I got the feeling that's going to be anticlimactic.

Sixth, Gwenage. I mean, why can't Gwen be alive? I hated that they killed Gwen off, and if we're going to get some lame cloning story that doesn't make any sense at all, (when, how and why exactly did they clone Gwen?) Why can't we get a lame resurrection instead? Yeah, both stink, but I'm more open to a lame retcon of something lamer then lameness added to lameness. Yeah, even I don't really know what I just said.

Seventh, the cure. Okay, Peter Parker never really wanted to be Spider-man. Sure he has fun sometimes, but it's a responsibility to him, and many times he wishes he could just get out of it. Knowing that he can just cure himself anytime things get too bad, well, it just really takes away from this for me :(

This could have been a really good arc, but for some reason Bendis threw in a whole bunch half-explained "conveniences". *sigh*

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back