I said it and I meant it...

I've thought about Ultimate Deadpool a bit and I think the reason cool 616 characters are getting ****ed in the UU is that in the effort to ensure they aren't zerox copies of the character they screw with them. All these writers think they can come up with a character that is really cool and original.

The problem is it's harder than it looks. The same thing happens in the 616 comics. Writers there have so much material in Marvel history that they can borrow something that had potential and try and make it a bit cooler. Some fail and some succeed at making the character cooler. After years of building on this process, writers have got a really cool character. Once you're writing a cool character, you can use the character's proven coolness to help your story be even better.

The problem with continuing this process in the UU is you can't rest on the coolness of a 616 character. You have to establish it the same way. Just instead of making a nothing character stupid, you're making a major character stupid, which offends a great many people.

Someone could take huge liberties with Deadpool, and make him stupid, but they already know what made him cool, so they can always retcon him back to being what people liked. They can't say bam Ultimate Deadpool is now we've got another 616 Deadpool. They've already commited to making him different, so he got to become cool in his own right.

My favorite Ultimization is still Nick Fury. It might sound racist, but he's just a better character black. He's a character who is cool in his own right.

Last edited:
MaxwellSmart said:
I've thought about Ultimate Deadpool a bit and I think the reason cool 616 characters are getting ****ed in the UU is that in the effort to ensure they aren't zerox copies of the character they screw with them. All these writers think they can come up with a character that is really cool and original.

The problem is it's harder than it looks. The same thing happens in the 616 comics. Writers there have so much material in Marvel history that they can borrow something that had potential and try and make it a bit cooler. Some fail and some succeed at making the character cooler. After years of building on this process, writers have got a really cool character. Once you're writing a cool character, you can use the character's proven coolness to help your story be even better.

The problem with continuing this process in the UU is you can't rest on the coolness of a 616 character. You have to establish it the same way. Just instead of making a nothing character stupid, you're making a major character stupid, which offends a great many people.

Someone could take huge liberties with Deadpool, and make him stupid, but they already know what made him cool, so they can always retcon him back to being what people liked. They can't say bam Ultimate Deadpool is now we've got another 616 Deadpool. They've already commited to making him different, so he got to become cool in his own right.

My favorite Ultimization is still Nick Fury. It might sound racist, but he's just a better character black. He's a character who is cool in his own right.

1, I have a problem with the word retcon and 2, I think both Furys' are just as cool as the next. It's like Sam Jackson as is or Stone Wall Jackson with kick and attitude.

Hibiki said:
1, I have a problem with the word retcon and 2, I think both Furys' are just as cool as the next. It's like Sam Jackson as is or Stone Wall Jackson with kick and attitude.
The word or the use of it? No one seems like it when someone takes it upon themselve to alter history, but sometimes it has to be done for the good of the universe.

Your Nick Fury comment has inspired me to create a poll. I'll probably do it tomorrow.

MaxwellSmart said:
The word or the use of it? No one seems like it when someone takes it upon themselve to alter history, but sometimes it has to be done for the good of the universe.

Your Nick Fury comment has inspired me to create a poll. I'll probably do it tomorrow.

Retcon: Xorn. The universe will cease to exist the next time these two meet.

MaxwellSmart said:
No one seems to like it when someone takes it upon themselve to alter history, but sometimes it has to be done for the good of the universe.

You know, out of context, this is a really weird thing to say.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
You know, out of context, this is a really weird thing to say.
When I wrote that, I was thinking, "man this sounds like something out of a crappy sci-fi movie."

Latest posts

Back