I think Daredevil might be Marvel's best character

E

Excelsior Club
I was reading the most recent Daredevil arc and I really enjoyed it. I really think that Daredevil might be Marvel's best and most well thought out character, and the writing on it over the last few years has been phenomenal. Besides Captain America, I really do think this is the best book Marvel is putting out and has been for a long time.

One of the things I really like about the book is that they aren't afraid to mess with characters. Karen Page was killed, Matt's identity was revealed, Matt becomes the new Kingpin, he gets thrown in jail...what other character have they had the guts to put through the ringer like that? And when they do have to put the cat back in the bag, so to speak, they do it right - not with magic like Spider-Man and his secret identity.

And a blind hero with other enhanced senses is a great gimmick. It works well and it demands that the writer be creative with how he uses his abilities.

I dunno...I'm just really impressed with this book and how they handle the characters.

Definitely. He also feels more human than most characters - he's more real. He doesn't solve his problems with some strange machine or some kind of weird magic... he solves it with his brain and his fists.

Definitely. He also feels more human than most characters - he's more real. He doesn't solve his problems with some strange machine or some kind of weird magic... he solves it with his brain and his fists.

Exactly. More human - that's good.

I also like the contrast between the strict Catholic dressing up like a devil - very clever.

Well the thing is with dD's secret ID, wouldn't his entire rogues gallery still know that this point?

All DD did was throw doubt as to whether he was Murdock or not, psychopaths like Purple Man, Bushwacker and Mr. Hyde shouldn't care that Murdock might not be DD, if there is even 1% chance he was, they wold kill him on principal.

Like a brubaker has taken a c-lister like Mr. Fear and made him a threat. I hope he does the same with many other b-list villians (Mr. Hyde, Typhoid Mary, Bushwacker, etc.)

Like I said there are no bad characters, only bad writers.

Well the thing is with dD's secret ID, wouldn't his entire rogues gallery still know that this point?

All DD did was throw doubt as to whether he was Murdock or not, psychopaths like Purple Man, Bushwacker and Mr. Hyde shouldn't care that Murdock might not be DD, if there is even 1% chance he was, they wold kill him on principal.

Like a brubaker has taken a c-lister like Mr. Fear and made him a threat. I hope he does the same with many other b-list villians (Mr. Hyde, Typhoid Mary, Bushwacker, etc.)

Like I said there are no bad characters, only bad writers.

No bad character, sure, maybe - but Daredevil is exceptionally well thought out. Even down to his supporting characters and villains. Mr Fear - perfect villain for the man without fear.

And yes, everybody KNOWS he is Matt Murdock, but he did exactly what you said - created reasonable doubt. Pretty handy to be a lawyer, eh?

he IS pretty awesome for a relatable, street level character.

because my girlfriends have been killed too. and i fight drug/gang lords in a costume, and sometimes people with crazy abilities/gimmicks

also i'm blind

but in all seriousness, he's just an interesting, dark character with depth and good history/continuity. and this makes him fun to read.

No bad character, sure, maybe - but Daredevil is exceptionally well thought out. Even down to his supporting characters and villains. Mr Fear - perfect villain for the man without fear.

And yes, everybody KNOWS he is Matt Murdock, but he did exactly what you said - created reasonable doubt. Pretty handy to be a lawyer, eh?

When I said bad character I meant in terms of villains, DD is already a good character and has been for the last 20 years. I'm saying that people could have said Mr. fear was lame before this arc, but won't say that now.

Yes, reasonable doubt doesn't work with choatic or neutral evil characters. half of DD's villains are jokes, the other half are dangerous psychos. Bushwacker is already a multi Murderer, one more dead civilian who might be DD will not bother him.

I'm also glad Kingpin and Bullseye have been given a vacation, I like those villains, but they were over exposed. Focusing on lesser DD villains like Mr. Fear is a better way to go.

Mr. Fear is now like DD's Gobby, very intelligent, but so completely petty that that he can be blinded to all other things. He ultimately takes the worst aspects of bullseye and Kingpin together.

Last edited:
Weird, I just read some of the old stuff. The act where Karen Page is killed. It just has a dark, religious aspect to it. He is a really cool character.

Another thing that makes him cool is he willing to play way rougher than your averge hero.

Because he fights assassins and drug dealers and people who are willing to strike at this life he has been willing to: torture enemies for info, criple some of his villain and he has even killed two guys before.

He is not the Punisher, but making him angry is not a good idea.

Last edited:
What I like most about him is he lives an absolutely contradictory lifestyle; a catholic (I think) lawyer by day who dresses as a devil and acts as a vigilante at night. He's almost two different people (more so than simply a superhero and his alter-ego), who each entertain one side of an extreme when it comes to the idea of justice. Very interesting character, and certainly one of my favourites in the Marvel Universe.

The title of this thread is nothing but 100%, pure, uncut truth.

I finally got a chance to read all of Bendis' run on Daredevil. Well not just his run....but the entire Vol.2 run (Kevin Smith to David Mack to Bendis to Brubaker).

Honestly, Bendis' run was amazing!!!! I could NOT rip thru the story fast enough. I don't remember the last time I just sat there reading issue after issue after issue. It was insane. And Maleev's art? Good God it was so perfect. It actually makes you appreciate the transition to Lark. Lark's style was too much of a departure from Maleev's so the switch wasn't jarring and offputting.

And to see all the crap that Matt has gone thru and the way it was handled? Magnificent. One of my favorite scenes in the entire run was at the end of "Decalogue Part 4 of 5". When that guy outted Matt in the supprt group....I literally went back thru every single issue of that arc and tried to pick him out from earlier....and sure enough...there he was...face always covered. Another thing I loved was the side/backstory inclusion of Jessica Jones/Luke Cage's relationship. It wasn't a major thing, but it was a nice easter egg that even further cemented Jessica Jones into the core Marvel universe like she's been there all along.

There are a few comics from Marvel that we all love, but there are even less comics that we all MUST read. This is one of them.

Although this statement about basis of the book still makes me laugh hysterically...

Chris Sims said:
In the Core Marvel Universe, a "gritty crime story" is one where a blind lawyer ninja dressed as the Devil fights a massive Sumo wrestler with a cane that shoots lasers, who employs both a Major League Baseball pitcher who killed a batter with a fastball and the blind lawyer ninja's girlfriend, the daughter of a diplomat who herself became a ninja, died and came back to life, and was once replaced by an alien shape-shifter.

Latest posts

Back