I want to start reading Batman...

I don't remember the other two you're talking about
The Ellison/Ha story was where Batman is going after the counterfeiters.

The Paul Pope story is called "Broken Nose" if I remember correctly. It was very simple but was great because of how realistically it portrayed Batman. Not "gritty/badass" realistic, but "regular guy" realistic.
but Dini/Ross' "Case Study" might be my favourite Joker origin. I consider it to be the cannon origin of the B:TAS version of him. It synchs right up with Mask of the Phantasm and everything.
Yeah, but who knows how much of the actual case study is true?

Remember who wrote it...:D

The Ellison/Ha story was where Batman is going after the counterfeiters.

The Paul Pope story is called "Broken Nose" if I remember correctly. It was very simple but was great because of how realistically it portrayed Batman. Not "gritty/badass" realistic, but "regular guy" realistic.

Hmm... I remember the title of the first one, but not the actual story. The only ones I remember other than Case Study are the one where Bruce is babysitting and one of the kids is running around and being a brat so Bruce snaps and Dragon Kicks him across the room(Those of you who haven't read this: Think I'm kidding? Pick it up.), and the one where the whole story consists of Batman working out, getting captured at a carnival by the Joker, breaking the chain mirroring how he did when he worked out and saving everyone.... that one was kind of dumb.

I need to pick this up again.

Oh! And the joke one where he's on the Gargoyle.... didn't Matt Groening or one of the MAD artists do that one? It was great.

Yeah, but who knows how much of the actual case study is true?

Remember who wrote it...:D

Hey, it's at least as valid as Killing Joke, or maybe more so because it has some real research and even photo evidence. Personally, I think it makes the most sense out of any origin he's ever been given.

I like to think of Alex Ross's things as Ultimate DC

Nah, I prefer to think of them as just a streamlined version, with a beginning, a middle and an end (whereas the normal continuity is just one long continuing soap opera with no real direction).

I think DC are missing out on a proper Ultimate-esque universe. With All-Star they just made everything streamlined again and those books aren't even neccessarily taking place in the same continuity. I think for an Ultimate universe, DC really need to shake things up a lot (like what Marvel did) I want to see Perry White 'played' by Morgan Freeman, I want to see Superman wearing a different costume, etc, etc.

The First and Second issues of DKSA are actually quite good, it ALL falls apart in the Third issue, which compresses what should be another three issue.

I liked DK2, DKR is better. I think DK2 has that wonderful scene where bats and elongated man go to release plastic man, and it's built up so well saying how he's so powerful and yet utterly insane. Then Em and PM get into a big old knot

I like neither Dark Knight Returns or Dark Knight Strikes Again. I am the only one.

I haven't read DKSA, but what don't you like about DKR?

It's an alright story, don't get me wrong. It's just when you first get into comics, and people recommend only two stories: Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns. I think Watchmen is fantastic and deserving of all the hype. I don't think DKR is the same thing. It's just Batman as a giant, beating people when he's old. It's good and shows that Bruce won't ever quit, but I don't think it's as epic or as powerful as Watchmen.

And I hate Frank Miller's art.

I think there's a much deeper allegory to it all... and that's what makes it powerful... That's why so much of it relies on the newscasters.

And I hate Frank Miller's art.

I like Frank Miller's art. When he's not doing company work. On Batman and the like... ehhh. Not so much. His cover to the one Daredevil collection was just plain bad. Lemmie see if I can find it.

9624-85508-1-daredevil-visionarie_150.jpg

I like Frank Miller's art. When he's not doing company work. On Batman and the like... ehhh. Not so much. His cover to the one Daredevil collection was just plain bad. Lemmie see if I can find it.

9624-85508-1-daredevil-visionarie_150.jpg

he looks like a crackhead. DKR was awesome and the art fit perfect to the whole dark scheme of things imo.

Latest posts

Back