Iceman

K

Korinthian

So, who here thinks Ice Man can melt? Is the "biological" ice he consists of different from the one he creates?
Is his powers inexhaustable (if there's enough humidity in the air)?
Is the ice he creates more porous and fragile than normal ice (considering he does not create it out of liquid water)?
How big is his control over ice (to what extent can he transform it once it's created)?
Can he control ice he did not make?

I want answers!

Korinthian said:
So, who here thinks Ice Man can melt?
It's possible for him to melt, but it would have to be under extreme heat.

Korinthian said:
Is the "biological" ice he consists of different from the one he creates?
Most likely.

Korinthian said:
Is his powers inexhaustable (if there's enough humidity in the air)?
His powers work as long as there's enough humidity in the air for him to use.

Korinthian said:
Is the ice he creates more porous and fragile than normal ice (considering he does not create it out of liquid water)?
I believe it should more stronger.

Korinthian said:
How big is his control over ice (to what extent can he transform it once it's created)?
Right now, his control is limited. But his control can go very high. He can make anything he can with his powers, and can freeze liquid water.

Korinthian said:
Can he control ice he did not make?
No, he has no manipulation over any ice like the way Pyro can control fire, if that's what you mean.

icemastertron said:
No, he has no manipulation over any ice like the way Pyro can control fire, if that's what you mean.

That is what I mean, and he did display this ability when he and some others met with Spiral (trapped her in ice, then he removed it).

Korinthian said:
That is what I mean, and he did display this ability when he and some others met with Spiral (trapped her in ice, then he removed it).
Just checked, and he actually did not. He was never removing it, he was adding more, which than Jean told him to stop and let her go.

Before: Ice up to Spiral's neck.

After: Jean says "Let her go", considerably less ice (up to Spiral's waist) and Ice Man is connected to the chunk of ice, possibly absorbing the ice.

Next frame: Spiral is free of the ice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Korinthian said:
Before: Ice up to Spiral's neck.

After: Jean says "Let her go", considerably less ice (up to Spiral's waist) and Ice Man is connected to the chunk of ice, possibly absorbing the ice.

Next frame: Spiral is free of the ice.
Spiral is not free of ice, Iceman was trying to keep her in ice.

She is indeed free of the ice after the frame Jean said "let her go".

And if he was adding ice in the "let her go" frame, why was there less of it?

Yeah, I think it was Iceman reabsorbing the ice. In the last issue of X-men, the end, Sage freezes her hand on Iceman by touching him, then he unfreezes it by reabsorbing the ice, so I'm pretty sure he can either reaborb it into himself, or disperse it among the air.

If we're talking about 616 Iceman:

a. he can melt, but the fact that he emmanates extreme cold makes it difficult. if melting him would be as easy as melting normal ice, he wouldn't be able to exist a good majority of the year. presumably, around extreme heat (check Iceman of the Icons mini), he can still exist, as well as neutralize the heat with his cold blasts.

b. at times, it's seemed as if they are inexhaustable. after all, he did create a new body out of another person's life-water. that's pretty nuts. it depends on who is writing him, if he is in one of his powerful moves, and upon the prescense of moisture.

c. i believe reading that his ice is stronger and harder than normal ice. in all practicality, it would be as strong as any ice we've ever seen, as there are rarely chunks of ice as large and dense as iceman or his slides anywhere besides the poles.

d. he can transform it by simply unfreezing and freezing molecules. thus, the form isn't really moving, because its not the same molecules moving, but it looks like it is. he made a little statue-fight show for kurt once.

e. he doesn't just control ice, he controls temperature, so yes. it's really just a matter of what he chooses to freeze or thaw.

Ultimate Iceman has showed extreme signs of power, such as the Ultimate War Ice-wave (which I believe has been one of the biggest shows of power in the Ultimate Universe, which I'm gonna make a thread about), and flash-freezing an entire Sentinel.

Of course, at other times he can't even Ice-up. So his power level varies. He has definitely started stronger than 616 though.

Korinthian said:
She is indeed free of the ice after the frame Jean said "let her go".

And if he was adding ice in the "let her go" frame, why was there less of it?
That wasn't Iceman. He doesn't have that kind of power. And there's less because I'm guessing of Jean, maybe? But definetly not Iceman. That would require a type of telekenises, you could say, for that kind of manipulation.

It would be cool to see him freeze Namor's big watery monster-thing :)

icemastertron said:
That wasn't Iceman. He doesn't have that kind of power. And there's less because I'm guessing of Jean, maybe?.

Then why is Jean asking Ice Man to let Spiral go?

i don't see why he can't transfer ice. i mean, all his power is is taking thermal energy away from water molecules (or giving energy to), and thus freezing (or thawing). why can't he unfreeze her?

icemastertron: That still doens't explain why there were less ice, Jean wouldn't start melting it (that's not real fire, I seem to remember from somewhere) before he stopped "keeping her frozen".

Last edited by a moderator:
iceman said:
i don't see why he can't transfer ice. i mean, all his power is is taking thermal energy away from water molecules (or giving energy to), and thus freezing (or thawing). why can't he unfreeze her?
It's possible, since I just remembered he did it once in 616, from an old comic someone gave me, but not sure if he can do it yet. There could be less ice because of how the artist drew it.

Last edited:
iceman said:
Of course, at other times he can't even Ice-up. So his power level varies. He has definitely started stronger than 616 though.

i'm pretty sure that the 616 version has been listed as an omega level mutant...which is a pretty freaking high power-level

the power level is the same for both. it's always been the same. it's how each uses it.

616 iceman has done some ABSURD things.

ultimate iceman has done some great things, but not quite ridiculous yet. he's made ice-waves, flash-frozen big stuff, apparently remade his flesh (his chest kinda blew up via gambit), extended his body, yadda yadda. only the body reforming is ABSURD, and that could have been him just remaking his ice-armour, because i'm not sure if it's been stated if he turns to ice or covers himself with it yet.

anyway, back to the point: while ultimate iceman hasn't done as insane stuff as 616 iceman, he is moving much faster. the potential is probably the same, but ultimate iceman is realizing it quicker. as are most of the x-men, now that i think of it:

cyclops bouncing beams off stuff

storm making ball lightning and little tiny storms

wolverine growing half his body back

rogue absorbing powers permanently

jean phoenix-izing

colossus stopping a train

most of these is just potential, though the colossus one might have just been a power-up.

Latest posts

Back