Identity Crisis (Spoilers)

Bass said:
My problem is that it seemed to me, to be a very cynical work that touched on several issues but instead of progressing on those ideas, they simply repeat themselves, because the whole point of the series seems to be setting up DC's summer so that they can steal away Ultimate July and dominate the market.

Yeah thats why the Crisis book starts in October.And for some strange reason I think this has been planned a teensy bit longer than "Ultimate July"......besides that couldn't even be possible,the mini's were announced months ago whereas JoeyQ only announced the change of Ultimate starts month from December a few weeks back.

Patriot said:
Yeah thats why the Crisis book starts in October.And for some strange reason I think this has been planned a teensy bit longer than "Ultimate July"......besides that couldn't even be possible,the mini's were announced months ago whereas JoeyQ only announced the change of Ultimate starts month from December a few weeks back.

Ah, my mistake.

I didn't mean to say Infinite Crisis was necessarily in July, but rather the four mini-series leading up to it were all supposed to dominate the summer, for Infinite Crisis - which of course is the big competitor against Ultimate Secret and Ultimate Extinction - which I thought was supposed to be part of "Ultimate July" but then it seems I could be wrong.

In any case, there seems to be a big marketing strategy to launch Crisis and its spin-offs (which is fair enough) and IC seems to be designed as nothing more than a primer.

In fact, I just read Countdown to Infinite Crisis and I have to say - IC should've been this good. I really liked it. I skimmed through it and wasn't impressed in the store, but I take it back. Countdown is a very nice book and an example of a good story used to set up further developments. Very satisfying indeed. Unlike IC, this book has made me want to pick up Infinite Crisis - and I feel I may pick up the OMAC project (which scared the hell out of me) and Villains Unite (which looks like what, essentially, IC should've been).

Yeah, IC: mediocre book that sets up the next 6 months of DC. CtIC: damn fine book that sets up the next 6 months of DC. That's how I feel.

Identity crisis was a mixed bag for me. I loved Rags Moralis's work, and have been following him ever since Hourman (Yes, this series is my comic hub). I loved Meltzer's writing and takes on the characters. (He's got a few good novels out there too, try out The Millioniars) The plot was wonderful untill the reveal at the end, but that really didn't spoil the series for me.

What IC did was set up the next year of DC comics, and has actualy done what it said it would. It's changed the dynamics of the DC universe. It's set things in motion that should bring about a great year of comics for all DC readers, starting with Countdown, Johns JLA arc, and the 4 minis.

Did I like it? Yes. Was I dissapointed? Yes. Did it acoplish what it set out to do? Yes.

That's more than I expected.

They're not. Infinite Crisis, as much as anything else, is meant to prove that Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are the nexus around which the entire DC universe revolves.

Last edited:
Not really, Superman didnt do nothing, even in the tie-ins, the ones that got the upper were Green Arrow, Batman, Hawkman, GL, Flash (both), Blue Bettle and Booster and for the villains Deathstroke and Maxwell among the others from The Society.
They always say that Superman is the Big Guy, but IC could had happen with or withouth him, it wouldnt change a bit.

It's been said that Infinite Crisis is indeed going to showcase the importance of the big 3 in the DC U. All these small heroes stories are leading to the big 3.

iceman said:
It's been said that Infinite Crisis is indeed going to showcase the importance of the big 3 in the DC U. All these small heroes stories are leading to the big 3.

Not just the big 3, just the superpowers.

Superman, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, The Flash, Martian Manhunter.

And yes, this is going to show how the universe revolves around them, because the point of the series, as I see it, Is Humans vs. Superhumans. I mean... Batman does not support the idea of a hierarchy of superheroes running the world, and that is EXACTLY what Checkmate is making sure doesnt happen. Which is why I think Bruce Wayne is the White King. He's going to be the rallying point for the Humans, even the bad-guy humans, anyone who feels threatened by these metahumans who could literally kill hundreds of thousands of people in days if they wanted too.

If Identity Crisis is going to relate everything back to the Big Three, its going to be Batman as the Voice of the DC Heroes and Villians who are still human (including those, like booster gold, who only have powers due to technology). Superman is going to get the most trouble from this uprising of humans vs. superhumans, along with Wonderwoman. They seem to be more of a threat than a help now, and Humanity may no longer welcome them.

I'm really convinced that this is whats happening... OMAC Project is Batman taking the idea of the Metahuman and processing it into something he and his peers can manipulate, the One Man Army Corps, and make sure doesnt get out of Hand. Rann-Thanagar War I think is going to throw the Green Lantern Corps, and Hawkman/Hawkgirl out back into the Universe, distanced a bit from earth. Day of Vengeance is to cripple as many Magic Users as possible, particularly the Marvels. Villians United is to create the network of villians as to no longer allow Chaos to run the Supervillian population of the DC Universe, ran by HUMANS like Luthor and The Calculator, this is another perfect extension of Checkmate. The JLA story arc that ties is is probably going to End with Batman quitting the Justice League, after confronting them about his mindwiping, starting a lot of these events in motion.

And to comment on my Batman statement before.... I really honestly doubt that Bruce will quit, but I am absolutely sure his role in DC comics is about to change. Tim Drake/**** Grayson might just be taking the helm of detective-vigilante of Gotham, if Bruce's role gets shadier.

Well stated Stangefate. THe DC Universe is becoming an amazing political arena right now, and it's facinating to watch it all unfold.

My only question is where does Swamp Thing fit in. He and Constintine need to be in Day of Vengence somewhere.

thee great one said:
Aren't they in a different universe than the rest of the DC?

Nah, The Vertigo comics universe is for the most part (excluding some comics, like Y:the Last Man, Lucifer [although it started in the Vertigo corner of the universe], and Fables) just the dark and very magical corner of the DC Universe.

John Constantine, The Endless, Timothy Hunter, The Faerie Folk, Swamp Thing, Zatanna, and Animal Man all are DC canon. Tim Hunter does seem to be moving away from the regular universe.... but thats so they can do they epic stories they want to without involving the already busy superhero population.

If Constantine has a role in Day of Vengeance, it will likely be minimal, but I would definately like to see Swamp Thing getting involved. I mean, he's the Guardian of the Green (the interconnected intelligence of the worlds plantlife)... he should be involved. with Tim Hunter it all depends on how Canon they want to keep his series. DC doesn't like continuity problems, so they're going to make sure that The Books of Magick (the new Tim Hunter series) doesn't get involved with the Crisis if the books are getting more epic and global.

thee great one said:
Aren't they in a different universe than the rest of the DC?
Yeah, all of the initial Vertigo books started out as plain old DC titles. Heck, Dr. Destiny and the current Dr. Fate have shown up in Sandman. One of the Swamp Thing trades was set almost exclusivly in Gotham City, with Batman playing a fairly prominent role. And Constantine. Well, he's a bastard, but a brittish one, who hits on zatanna whenever he gets a chance.

But yeah, I'd really like to see atleast a nod to the darker side in DoV, especialy since we had Brute and Glob in JSA not too long ago.

Baxter said:
Yeah, all of the initial Vertigo books started out as plain old DC titles. Heck, Dr. Destiny and the current Dr. Fate have shown up in Sandman. One of the Swamp Thing trades was set almost exclusivly in Gotham City, with Batman playing a fairly prominent role. And Constantine. Well, he's a bastard, but a brittish one, who hits on zatanna whenever he gets a chance.

But yeah, I'd really like to see atleast a nod to the darker side in DoV, especialy since we had Brute and Glob in JSA not too long ago.

Not to mention Sandman appearing in JLA

So I read all of this tonight, all 7 issues, the Flash tie-ins, the Teen Titans one. My first DC book and all.

I found it to be one of the best pieces comic writing I've read in a long time, if not ever.

Yes, the flaws Bass outlined are there. Yes, some points are driven home more than necessary, yes some points are flawed.

But this sure as hell beat the snot out of most Marvel books. I'd hold it on the same level as House of M, Ultimates and maybe another title or two. The story is evocative and powerful even though I've only got vague notions of who the characters are and while some references are lost on me, its not absurdly complicated by idiotic backstory. This is quite literally the first DC book I've read and I understood abouot 80 or 90% of it.

I am officially very, very impressed. Very.

Caduceus said:
So I read all of this tonight, all 7 issues, the Flash tie-ins, the Teen Titans one. My first DC book and all.

I found it to be one of the best pieces comic writing I've read in a long time, if not ever.

Yes, the flaws Bass outlined are there. Yes, some points are driven home more than necessary, yes some points are flawed.

But this sure as hell beat the snot out of most Marvel books. I'd hold it on the same level as House of M, Ultimates and maybe another title or two. The story is evocative and powerful even though I've only got vague notions of who the characters are and while some references are lost on me, its not absurdly complicated by idiotic backstory. This is quite literally the first DC book I've read and I understood abouot 80 or 90% of it.

I am officially very, very impressed. Very.

I was the same. While when this came out I just started getting Superman and Batman. It was pretty much an new universe for me also. I loved it. I haven't read the Teen Titans or Flash tieins yet. I'm getting the Rogue War trade and the TT one if they do one. This was the thing that started the whole Infinite Crisis thing going down. I suggest you get that also. Their are some major tie-ins you need.

- Countdown To Infinite Crisis
- The Omac Project (1-6)
- "Sacrifice" (3 issues in all the Superman books and one on Wonder Woman)
- Villains United (1-6)
- Rahn-Thanger War (1-6)
- Day Of Vengeance (1-6)
- The Return of Donna Troy (1-5)
- JLA "Crisis Of Confindence" (115-119) (A major Identity Crisis tie-in. Which is Batman's reaction to the league that mindwiped him)

Trust me it's worth it.

For a bonus I suggest picking up The Crisis on Infinite Earths novel like I did.

I finally read it. And I liked it. I knew I wanted to enjoy it when I downloaded it, and I actually did. The writing seemed kind of boring in some stages, along with the art seeming kind of off, but it was a well told story. The ending was kind of lackluster, but I knew about it already so I didn't really care.

I might have to try the Crisis tie-ins now. :)

ProjectX2 said:
I finally read it. And I liked it. I knew I wanted to enjoy it when I downloaded it, and I actually did. The writing seemed kind of boring in some stages, along with the art seeming kind of off, but it was a well told story. The ending was kind of lackluster, but I knew about it already so I didn't really care.

I might have to try the Crisis tie-ins now. :)

YAY.

The Deathstroke fight was nice and I loved how they turned around Light.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back