Action Comics
Green Lantern
Captain America

Link to main article for commentaries:
http://bestof.ign.com/2008/comics/

Re: IGN Comics: Best of 2009 Awards

ign predicts the future?! :shock:

damn!

I thought this was a good year for awards, for the most part there isn't really any I'd argue with, I do wish they'd spread a bit more love around to the independants, but what can you do.

Last edited:

BEST VILLAIN
It's definitely The Joker. RIP was crazy and Morrison's Joker is terrifying. Red Skull is okay, but kind of boring. Johns's new Brainiac was scary but didn't really do that much. And Osborn is just lame.

BEST HERO
Easily Batman. Not only has he had a brilliant movie of him this year, but he's been kicking *** with his own memories in Morrison's run. Batman is great and is as consistent as ever as you can always find something neat in a Batman comic.

BEST COLLECTION
I can't really judge this because I haven't bought any collections in a long time and the ones I do buy aren't anything flash. The colouring in the Absolute Sandman does look superb though. I'm not sure if the James Jean HC deserves to win though. While his covers are brilliant, this thing doesn't collect all of them and there's only a few afterwards anyway! Fail!

BEST ORIGINAL GRAPHIC NOVEL
Yeah, I agree with JOKER. It's the only one I've read this year.

BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE
THE DARK KNIGHT. Of course it is. What can compare? IRON MAN, sure, it's the best Marvel movie, but THE DARK KNIGHT is so powerful and so chaotic. WANTED isn't even a comic book movie anymore. And INCREDIBLE HULK was just disappointing. PUNISHER: WAR ZONE sounds terrible. HELLBOY 2 was alright but seemed too fantastical. I can't think of anything else.

BEST COLLECTIBLE
I don't get any toys but those Joker bank robber ones look good.

BEST INDY BOOK
Yuck, Indy books. Kidding. What I did read of PAX ROMANA was unique though.

BEST NEW BOOK
I don't read any of these.

BEST MINI-SERIES
I didn't read any of these either. I thought 1985 was great though.

BEST COVER
Hmm... I will have to think about this. I do like the FINAL CRISIS covers...

BEST SINGLE ISSUE
ALL STAR SUPERMAN is brilliant and would probably win most categories. Y THE LAST MAN #60 was also great but I thought it was last year. My favourite issue this year has been EX MACHINA #40 just because it's so ****ing funny and reminds me of Morrison's ANIMAL MAN.

BEST ARC
I don't know, I found the CAPTAIN AMERICA arcs too long and got bored halfway through. I think my favourite would probably be RIP in Morrison's Batman. It isn't perfect, but it was so damn unique and original, I loved it. I also liked Dini's HEART OF HUSH arc in DETECTIVE COMICS and OLD MAN LOGAN in Millar's Wolverine so far has been fantastic.

BEST MOMENT
Thor's tribute was great. Pa Kent's death was also great. But I think my favourite moment would have to be the final page of ALL STAR SUPERMAN #12.

BEST PUBLISHER
Marvel Comics are of course more successful than DC Comics at the moment but they bore me. Skrulls everywhere. Tie ins to stupid events. Event after event after ****ing event. You can't get away with them. While FINAL CRISIS has flaws, I am loving it so far. It is the most original event in a long time. Combine that with the fallout from SINESTRO CORPS WAR and the lead ins to IN BLACKEST NIGHT, the NEW KRYPTON stuff, MAGOG and everything else that Morrison and Johns are doing... it's great. I love it. I am excited to read DC Comics while I have to force myself to read Marvel.

BEST WRITER
Geoff Johns. Yes. He deserves it. While some of his stuff has gone on for far too long this year, it's all been very good. I can't believe he manages to write so much and keep it all consistent. I love Geoff Johns and I want him to write comics FOREVER.

BEST ARTIST
Sure, I'll go with Olivier Coipel. His art has been great and has brought a grand mythological quality to THOR.

BEST ONGOING SERIES
I have no idea. FABLES is always deserving. So are the Johns and Brubaker titles. Maybe THOR, but I don't think it's that great. I have no idea. I'm just glad there have been so many comics I've enjoyed reading this year.

BEST VILLAIN
The Joker far and away, couldn't agree more, and I don't even read DC, I don't think there is another character more deserving. If this was June I would have said Osborn because of Ellis' T-Bolts, but in recent developements I'd have to slide him down a few pegs.

BEST HERO
I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say Iron Man, Between the end of the Knauf's phenomanal run on D.o.S., Fraction's great work on IIM, and being the central character of the entirety of the MU this year, plus the movie, I don't think there is another character who had such a break-out year even despite his massacering in SI. I probably would have said Batman like IGN did, but Iron Man just felt right.

BEST COLLECTION
I'm going to disagree with ALL of the winners and runners up and say the 10th anniversary Marvel Knights Marvel Boy oversized Hard-Cover was the best collection of the year, forget Final Crisis, this is Morrison and Jones at their best.

BEST ORIGINAL GRAPHIC NOVEL
Yeah, I'm going to say Joker aswell, I haven't read it, but I really want to it sounds brilliant, Azzarello? yes please, Beremejo? yes please! more companies should release OGN's I imagine the bulk of mini-series could go this route especially the Marvel Knight's line

BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE
I don't think it's even up for debate, The Dark Knight all the way, forget best of the year, I'm saying best EVER, Iron Man was the only movie that even came close, but TDK is #1, how did IGN overlook Hellboy though? Hellboy > Wanted, PERIOD

BEST COLLECTIBLE
uhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sure.

BEST INDY BOOK
Proof by Alex Grecian and Riley Rossmo from Image comics, Think Fables meets Hellboy meets Harry and the Henderson's, I only picked this up to support the artist who works at my LCS, but it's just brilliant, very under-rated.

BEST NEW BOOK
for me, out of what I have read, Guardians all the way, it's phenominal, criminally overlooked by fandom at large, great writing, great art, great cast, it's become even better than it's sister-title and my "Best New Book of 2007" Nova. Captain Britain is a very close second, for virtually all the same reason's, the only thing that it lacks would be the attachment I have to the characters ing GotG.

BEST MINI-SERIES
Magneto Testament is great and very deserving, I haven't read the last couple issue's but if they were as good as the first two I'd have no problem's with this

BEST COVER
Best cover.... that is hard, there are so many, but I'm going to go with a different cover by one of the runner-ups and say Annihilation: Conquest #6, that group shot by Aleksi Briclot is off the chain awesome. As a general cover artist I'd have to say Marko Djurdjevic.

BEST SINGLE ISSUE
Thunderbolts #120, A.K.A the issue where Ellis's Thunderbolts go absolutley ape-**** insane, not just Norman all of them, Venom eat's people, Swordsman becomes a Nazi, Penance put's Moonstone through like 7 walls. All that combined with Ellis's flair for the mental, and Deodato's brilliant and twisted art, just a fantastic, fantastic issue. Any Issue of Thor this year would be a great runner-up.

BEST ARC
The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven from The Immortal Iron Fist, I know it started in mid 2007, but that arc in it's entirety, is great. Out of everything I read this year, nothing quite measured up, Caged Angels in T-Bolts, and Thor were very close, but not quite as awesome. He punched a moving bullet train and won.

BEST MOMENT
Yeah, Norman Osborn loosing his mind was hilarious, that scene of him dictating to himself naked, was the most brilliant thing I've ever read, it was hysterical. It smelled like death, blonds, and victory.

BEST PUBLISHER
Marvel, mainly because of my lack of experience with the other publishing houses, I wouldn't put Image or Dark Horse in the top spot, because they are held together by completley independant creators. I went with Marvel over DC because when I look at both companies independantly and don't even consider the big event's I find Marvel alot more interesting, DC is being propped up by Morrison and Johns. Marvel seems to have alot more stuff going with there smaller titles their Nova's their Guardians, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Thor, etc. I find Marvel alot more interesting.

BEST WRITER
4-way tie between, Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker, Joe Straczynski, and Warren Ellis, and with Jason Aaron a runner-up, and a surprise runner-up with Duane Sweirczynski. All of these writers have been doing gangbuster's this year.

BEST ARTIST
Olivier Coipel, his work on Thor, has been, gorgeous, it brings you into the story unlike anything else this year, he deserve's the highest honor the comic industry can bestow. Deodato, Yu, Aja, Craine, also get nods from me.

BEST ONGOING SERIES
Thor, to me this is like TDK in the movie section, not even a competition, Thor does what any other series does, and make's it look easy

Latest posts

Back