Image Comics

Dirty Cash

Anyone reading Clone? Would love to hear what others think about Clone, Planetoid, Comback, Mice Templar. I love these stories but don't know a lot of ppl that follow them. Most are new except Mice Templar. Also a big fan of Elephantmen.. Slow start but really good if u give it a chance and stick with it.

Happy reading!

Sent from my iPhone using ComicBoard

I enjoyed Comeback, even if there was some holes in the logic.

also reading bedlam which is pretty good so far, But I do expect it to crap out on the Nick Spenser effect.

Ohh Bedlam is great so far. I love the artwork and the story is pretty kewl.

I hope it doesn't crap out like Happy did. Happy had me excited then it just wrapped up too fast. I'm enjoying another series called Snapshot. Pretty kewl artwork and story is great so far.

I still haven't gotten the last issue of happy.

I'm interested in snapshot but I haven't picked it up. I buy too many comics as is.

Tell me about it. I have so many on the go. I seriously need to remove some from my pull list. Probably remove 'the Massive'. Don't know if you've read any of that but man, is it boring.

Happy was extremely disappointing. I don't know if its problem was that it was too short but I was expecting a lot more from my favorite writer on a creator-owned book.

Happy was definitely too short. Started out good but never really took off.

The new Poyo one-shot was hilarious. I dropped the comic on the final page because I was laughing so hard. I hope all of Chew gets an omnibus when it is finished.

Yesterday I picked up Low #1.

I bought it because it was Rick Remender but also because the art (Greg Tocchini) was gorgeous. Figured I couldn't go wrong. I hadn't even heard of this series before I saw it on the shelf.

Basically the story is that in the far future the sun is about to die and engulf the solar system and humans are living at the bottom of the ocean while the probes that have been going out for thousands of years scan the universe for a new planet for humans to move to. The story starts out with a family of hunters/providers and it takes a dark turn toward the end of the book.

Anyway, it is really good. I liked it a lot.

The plot is a little muddled, I think because it is pretty complicated and most of the first issue is spent meeting this family instead of really getting into the concept. But it's not too hard to follow.

Trees #3 came out yesterday as did Black Science #7. Trees was a little slow but still good, and Black Science was good as usual.

I need to check out Deadly Class because I really dig Remender's creator-owned stuff right now. Fear Agent was OK but not great, but Black Science is really good and Low is very promising.

Here's an article on Low from USA Today that describes the book better than I could and has some interview snippets from Remender: Remender's 'Low' a deep dive into underwater sci-fi

Don't look up to the stars for the next great sci-fi adventure. It may just be down below in the deepest recesses of the ocean.

Writer Rick Remender and artist Greg Tocchini create a sea-faring universe far into the future for Low, which mines the "bubble-helmeted science-fiction fun stuff" Remender likes to dig into for visuals with a balance of European Heavy Metal style and Tocchini's expansive, alien-like aquatic landscapes.

"There's really something satisfying and aesthetically pleasing seeing characters in these crazy super future suits with 20-foot-long fins as they're swimming through the oceans surrounded by colorful fish and other life down there," says Remender, who also worked with Tocchini on The Last Days of American Crime.

"The ocean acts as space in that you still can't go out into it without a space suit. It's interesting the similarities between them."

Low puts the Caine family at the center of the drama in Salus, one of the last domed cities still around since being dumped into the drink some 30,000 years or so ago. Because the sun was rapidly expanding quicker than anyone anticipated different nations created municipalities that they would sink to the bottom of the ocean while probes scouted scope for a new, habitable world.

Lots of time has passed, radiation from the sun is getting closer and no one has any idea what's even up on the surface. What Stel Caine and her family know, however, is that they have to do something quick: The 2 million residents of Salus are facing their city falling apart and the air growing stagnant and full of sickness.

Not exactly lighthearted fare. But the story he begins in Low No. 1 (out now) will become "a metaphor for life," Remender admits. "What we face and what we're up against, all of our various problems and things we face as human beings can seen insurmountable and terrible to different degrees, but that optimism and that disposition we bring to it can really affect change."

The most positive of the characters in that vein is Stel. An eternal optimist in the face of crushing despair, she believes that people can inform the reality around them with their perspective, Remender says. "There is just no reason to have hope but she does."

There are a lot of people counting on her, he adds, and by the while the situation in Salus gets worse quickly, readers will start to get a better idea of what she's made of and "by issue 2 we get a look at her tenacity and bend against the currents of doom and gloom."

Another main character is her son Marik, who starts off similarly to his mother yet is ultimately a countermeasure and a physical representation of the thing she is trying to rally and fight against.

Their choices define not only who they are and how they see things but also what the world gives them back — "the universe's response to their attitude basically, if I can go deeply hippie and new age," says Remender, adding that Stel's daughters Della and Tajo also become focal points during the series.

Low panel
"Low" takes sci-fi action and alien landscapes and puts them underwater.(Photo: Greg Tocchini/Image Comics)
The Caines' Helm Suit, a tricked-out, armored piece of old technology, plays an integral role as well. These weapons were created thousands of years ago when mankind still had the scientific and production means before the world went really south. The protective suits can only be activated by those with a specific DNA to insure a family's bloodline, but the Caines have used theirs to hunt and provide for Salus.

Most of the Helm Suits and their pilots were taken out, however, by large bands of pirates. Mainly comprised of refugees not allowed in the few cities that are left, these pirates travel the ocean in submarines and ships pillaging what they can and are even rumored to have a mythical city of their own.

Two civilizations definitely exist, however, and in addition to Salus, Remender teases that readers will be introduced to a second city created by another nation that has very different politics, design and aesthetic.

Both underwater domains come alive when a race to the surface arises when one of the space probes returns. While most of the people on Salus see no reason to waste the rest of their lives to hunt down the probe in a scorched and irradiated landscape that used to be humans' home, Stel and a number of other characters make the journey to locate a potential solution to saving mankind.

While series such as Fear Agent was more of "me leaning into my depressive nature," Remender says, Stel has forced the writer to focus on his optimistic side.

"People probably need more to read about a hopeful character who endeavors to struggle against incredible odds. That uplifting story always seemed kind of trite to me, but as I get older, I see that it's not."

Yesterday I picked up Low #1.

I bought it because it was Rick Remender but also because the art (Greg Tocchini) was gorgeous. Figured I couldn't go wrong. I hadn't even heard of this series before I saw it on the shelf.

Basically the story is that in the far future the sun is about to die and engulf the solar system and humans are living at the bottom of the ocean while the probes that have been going out for thousands of years scan the universe for a new planet for humans to move to. The story starts out with a family of hunters/providers and it takes a dark turn toward the end of the book.

Anyway, it is really good. I liked it a lot.

The plot is a little muddled, I think because it is pretty complicated and most of the first issue is spent meeting this family instead of really getting into the concept. But it's not too hard to follow.

Trees #3 came out yesterday as did Black Science #7. Trees was a little slow but still good, and Black Science was good as usual.

I need to check out Deadly Class because I really dig Remender's creator-owned stuff right now. Fear Agent was OK but not great, but Black Science is really good and Low is very promising.

I think you'd really like Deadly Class E. Its the series Remender does that's most focused on music.

Right now my favorite Image books are the Josh Williamson duo of Nailbiter and Ghosted. Ghosted is a fantastic b-horror meets oceans 11 style book and it makes me insanely jealous each issue. Nailbiter is played straight and its about a town that just keeps churning out Serial Killers. I think they've produced 6? One still lives there after he got acquitted.

Also, Fuse. It just finished its first arc and will have a trade very soon. Its about criminal investigations on a satellite orbiting the earth. Its by Antony Johnson (Wasteland, Daredevil) and plays like something out of an LA based noir.

Last edited:
I remember when there were only one or two Image comics coming out that were worth reading. Now I can't keep up with the amount of new stuff that keeps coming out. This is a good thing.

The number of books of Image I'm reading, going to read, and new ones coming this year and next are quite a lot. If that keeps going, it'll be stacking up and getting close to rival what I read from Marvel!

Chew, Sex Criminals, Pretty Deadly, and Southern Bastards. I'm trade waiting Morning Glories and Saga until they're finished so I can read it in one go since it reads better that way. I'm much more interested in existing franchises and IDW.

When is Pretty Deadly supposed to return?

Somebody? Anybody?

Chew, Sex Criminals, Pretty Deadly, and Southern Bastards. I'm trade waiting Morning Glories and Saga until they're finished so I can read it in one go since it reads better that way. I'm much more interested in existing franchises and IDW.

Somebody? Anybody?
No clue.

How far are you in morning glories? Because after a really strong opening it didn't go anywhere for twenty issues.

No clue.

How far are you in morning glories? Because after a really strong opening it didn't go anywhere for twenty issues.

I remember there being a magic cave. That's where I was; volume like three or four I think.

Image comics I'm reading with some I still need to catch up on:

Southern Bastards
The Walking Dead
The Manhattan Projects
Rise of the Magi
Saga
Trees
The Wicked + The Divine
Shutter
Rocket Girl

Image series I still need to get to, though I might have checked out an issue or so (bolded start later this year and next):

Rat Queens
Clone
Black Science
Low
Sex Criminals
Tokyo Ghost
From Under Mountains
Valhalla Mad
Rumble
Intersect
Invisible Republic
Southern Cross
Descender
Drifter
Tooth & Claw
Injection

Alex + Ada
Think Thank
East of West

I'm pretty sure I got everything...

Last edited:
Image comics I'm reading with some I still need to catch up on:

Southern Bastards
The Walking Dead
The Manhattan Projects
Rise of the Magi
Saga
Trees
The Wicked + The Divine
Shutter

Image series I still need to get to, though I might have checked out an issue or so (bolded start later this year and next:

Rat Queens
Clone
Black Science
Low
Sex Criminals
Tokyo Ghost
From Under Mountains
Valhalla Mad
Rumble
Intersect
Invisible Republic
Southern Cross