In-grown Toe Nail. What am I gonna do?

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
Man up.

Wearing boots, weekly 10 mile long ruck sack hikings, jumping outta planes, and countless other activities for the last decade have caused me many a foot problems.

At one point I got tired of going to the doctor for every little problem. So when I got my last 3 ingrown toenails, here's what I did:

  • Soak my foot for about 40 minutes in hot water/iodine/epsom salt mix
  • Get a "sharp" pair of toenail and fingernail clippers (sewing scissors help too)
  • Clip the ingrown out and down to the root so it won't grow back
  • Be prepared for blood....have some gauze and band-aids handy
  • Wrap the clipped toe up ovenight---try to take it easy the next day due to tenderness
  • Soak your foot in the mix above everynight for a month
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Victor Von Doom said:
Man up.

Wearing boots, weekly 10 mile long ruck sack hikings, jumping outta planes, and countless other activities for the last decade have caused me many a foot problems.

At one point I got tired of going to the doctor for every little problem. So when I got my last 3 ingrown toenails, here's what I did:

  • Soak my foot for about 40 minutes in hot water/iodine/epsom salt mix
  • Get a "sharp" pair of toenail and fingernail clippers (sewing scissors help too)
  • Clip the ingrown out and down to the root so it won't grow back
  • Be prepared for blood....have some gauze and band-aids handy
  • Wrap the clipped toe up ovenight---try to take it easy the next day due to tenderness
  • Soak your foot in the mix above everynight for a month

You're so cool. Jack Bauer's got nothing on you.
 

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
TheManWithoutFear said:
You're so cool. Jack Bauer's got nothing on you.

hatin6dl.jpg
 

moonmaster

Without him, all of you would be lost souls roamin
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
13,670
Victor Von Doom said:
Man up.

Wearing boots, weekly 10 mile long ruck sack hikings, jumping outta planes, and countless other activities for the last decade have caused me many a foot problems.

At one point I got tired of going to the doctor for every little problem. So when I got my last 3 ingrown toenails, here's what I did:

  • Soak my foot for about 40 minutes in hot water/iodine/epsom salt mix
  • Get a "sharp" pair of toenail and fingernail clippers (sewing scissors help too)
  • Clip the ingrown out and down to the root so it won't grow back
  • Be prepared for blood....have some gauze and band-aids handy
  • Wrap the clipped toe up ovenight---try to take it easy the next day due to tenderness
  • Soak your foot in the mix above everynight for a month
Your extreme-ness overwhelms me. Seriously. I've got some sort of phobia about toenails. I have this crazy, irrational fear that my big toenail is going to get caught on something and be torn off. Honestly, its one of those "I'd rather die" phobias. Just reading your comments above make me want to pass out.
 

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
TheManWithoutFear said:
There wasn't sarcasm.

In that case---thank you. :D


moonmaster said:
Your extreme-ness overwhelms me. Seriously. I've got some sort of phobia about toenails. I have this crazy, irrational fear that my big toenail is going to get caught on something and be torn off. Honestly, its one of those "I'd rather die" phobias. Just reading your comments above make me want to pass out.

It's not that big a deal. If your toenail does come off.....it WILL grow back. I speak from experience. I've had 95% of my right foot's big toe torn off. It only left a little piece of the base. The old nail never grew back. It just lay there. A new toenail grew back OVER the old piece so I have an uneven dent in my toenail.

After you do some in-field surgery everything else is just so whatever. I think the worst injury I've ever seen in person was a guy jumping out of a plane and his chute cables got entangled around his neck without him knowing it. The chute wouldn't open properly so he decided to cut it loose and release the emergency chute.

That's what would've happen...........in theory.

Instead the cables wrapped around his neck and when he cut them.....he decapitated himself. The paramedics/forensic team found his head about 3/4 mile away from his body.










Way to kill the thread Vic. Way to kill the thread.... :?
 

moonmaster

Without him, all of you would be lost souls roamin
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
13,670
Victor Von Doom said:
It's not that big a deal. If your toenail does come off.....it WILL grow back. I speak from experience. I've had 95% of my right foot's big toe torn off. It only left a little piece of the base. The old nail never grew back. It just lay there. A new toenail grew back OVER the old piece so I have an uneven dent in my toenail.
I know that it'll grow back, the pain is what scares me.
After you do some in-field surgery everything else is just so whatever. I think the worst injury I've ever seen in person was a guy jumping out of a plane and his chute cables got entangled around his neck without him knowing it. The chute wouldn't open properly so he decided to cut it loose and release the emergency chute.

That's what would've happen...........in theory.

Instead the cables wrapped around his neck and when he cut them.....he decapitated himself. The paramedics/forensic team found his head about 3/4 mile away from his body.










Way to kill the thread Vic. Way to kill the thread.... :?
Ummm...



Awesome?
 

Friday

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Messages
8,903
Location
Washington, PA
Its not that bad. Worse case senario (and I know this one first hand) the nail will grow through the tip of your toe and at that point it'll slide out the divit it bore into your toe. Pretty easy at that point, but the layers of skin flaking off can be a bit gross.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Baxter said:
Its not that bad. Worse case senario (and I know this one first hand) the nail will grow through the tip of your toe and at that point it'll slide out the divit it bore into your toe. Pretty easy at that point, but the layers of skin flaking off can be a bit gross.

So you're saying I should let it grow?
 

Friday

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Messages
8,903
Location
Washington, PA
TheManWithoutFear said:
So you're saying I should let it grow?
Aw hell no, man up and rip that ****er out. I'm just letting you know what'll happen if you don't. What I did took about 8 months to happen, and every time you hit your toe the ingrown nail digs in a little more. Hurts like hell.
 
Last edited:

Iceshadow

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2005
Messages
12,124
Location
Houston,Texas
TheManWithoutFear said:
So you're saying I should let it grow?

Unless it hurts, if that the case either go to the doctor or cut it off yourself.

A couple months ago a vacuum fell on my toe, and there was a black bruise (or dired blood) under the nail for a few months, then recently the nail fell off, and a new one was about half grown underneath it.

So you can always try a blunt object.
 

Bass

Nexus of the World
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
14,167
Location
Folkestone, UK
moonmaster said:
Ummm...
Awesome?

:lol:

MWOF, seriously, I don't think performing surgery on yourself is a good thing unless you know exactly what you're doing.

I mean, Doom here is DOOM. He's evil. He probably wants your toe for his own nefarious purposes.

Also, Doom isn't a 'man'. You performing surgery on yourself isn't 'manning up'. Doom is a being of pure fist. :D

But seriously, Doom has done field surgery and stuff. If you know what you're doing, do it yourself. But if you have no idea what you're doing and you're just going on Doom's DIY course - no matter how adept Doom is, it's still operating on yourself and it's just not wise.

But then, you are a man without fear. :wink:
 

moonmaster

Without him, all of you would be lost souls roamin
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
13,670
Baxter said:
Its not that bad. Worse case senario (and I know this one first hand) the nail will grow through the tip of your toe and at that point it'll slide out the divit it bore into your toe. Pretty easy at that point, but the layers of skin flaking off can be a bit gross.
Aw hell no, man up and rip that ****er out. I'm just letting you know what'll happen if you don't. What I did took about 8 months to happen, and every time you hit your toe the ingrown nail digs in a little more. Hurts like hell.
Iceshadow said:
A couple months ago a vacuum fell on my toe, and there was a black bruise (or dired blood) under the nail for a few months, then recently the nail fell off, and a new one was about half grown underneath it.

So you can always try a blunt object.
I think I'm going to throw up...
 

MaxwellSmart

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
3,335
Location
SoCal
Victor Von Doom said:
At one point I got tired of going to the doctor for every little problem. So when I got my last 3 ingrown toenails, here's what I did:

  • Soak my foot for about 40 minutes in hot water/iodine/epsom salt mix
  • Get a "sharp" pair of toenail and fingernail clippers (sewing scissors help too)
  • Clip the ingrown out and down to the root so it won't grow back
  • Be prepared for blood....have some gauze and band-aids handy
  • Wrap the clipped toe up ovenight---try to take it easy the next day due to tenderness
  • Soak your foot in the mix above everynight for a month
After you do some in-field surgery everything else is just so whatever. I think the worst injury I've ever seen in person was a guy jumping out of a plane and his chute cables got entangled around his neck without him knowing it. The chute wouldn't open properly so he decided to cut it loose and release the emergency chute.

That's what would've happen...........in theory.

Instead the cables wrapped around his neck and when he cut them.....he decapitated himself. The paramedics/forensic team found his head about 3/4 mile away from his body.
The awesomest stories line starts behind you! I guess that's what happens when you're a soldier though. I've also heard some great stories from parametics I've known.
 

Latest posts

Top