Indiana Jones 4 discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Indiana Jones?

• Total voters
Anyone read any of the Indy novels? I tore through IJ & The Peril at Delphi and IJ & The Dance of the Giants and enjoyed them.

I couldn't get into the novels at all.

The Dark Horse comics are enjoyable, however. And the three games (Fate of Atlantis, Infernal Machine, and the Emperor's Tomb) were fun. But, outside of those, the other peripheral stuff I just couldn't get into.

I couldn't get into the novels at all.

The Dark Horse comics are enjoyable, however. And the three games (Fate of Atlantis, Infernal Machine, and the Emperor's Tomb) were fun. But, outside of those, the other peripheral stuff I just couldn't get into.

I prefer the novels (so far anyway) over the DH comics (I liked the stories, but the art in them was simplisic and dated--especially "IJ & Thunder in the Orient"). I actually haven't played Fate of Atlantis or Infernal Machine yet, but I'm about halfway through Emperor's Tomb for PS2. I even just picked up one of the old games for the Commodore 64 system from the mid-80's called "IJ in the Lost Kingdom". The game itself is old as hell and the graphics and gameplay almost as basic as it gets, but the copy I got was in mint condition...had the disk/cartridge, folder, manual, etc all in great conditon. Nice collector's item, I guess. Now I just have to track down a copy of "IJ in Revenge of the Ancients", the EXTREMELY rare DOS text adventure game that came out in 1987.

I've been on an all-things Indy marathon for the past several months in prepatation for IJ&KotCS. I caught up on the Young Indy DVDs and of course the original 3 films, most of the DH comics, and started the novels. Overall I'm enjoying it immensly, and the few let-downs aren't terrible, just mediocre compared to the rest.

I have to say I'm glad I got back into the license...I didn't realize it until I started watching/reading all the Indy stuff just how much I'd missed the character.

Last edited:
Saw it again tonight, this time with friends. Just as good as ever. It wasn't nearly as moving an experience tonight, just because of the situation, but since I wasn't worried about how good it would be and could follow and appreciate the plot better knowing where it all went, that made it just as enjoyable.

Also, it was surprising that at the 10:00 show on a Tuesday night in its third week out, the theatre was still a little more than half full.

Last edited:
Saw it again tonight, this time with friends. Just as good as ever. It wasn't nearly as moving an experience tonight, just because of the situation, but since I wasn't worried about how good it would be and could follow and appreciate the plot better knowing where it all went, that made it just as enjoyable.

I liked it a bit less on my second viewing (the surprises and references to the TV series and previous films weren't surprises anymore), but still enjoyed it. I can't wait to get this on DVD. I can honestly see myself watching it at least every couple of weeks.

Man, I really liked that film. I'm surprised at how much I liked it. I really am.

I saw it again and had to knock it down a few points... I think i've decided that I really don't like the set-up, but once it is set up, i start enjoying it.

I'm reading the Frank Darabont script for the movie, mentioned on that I grabbed before Paramount and Lucasfilms shut down the site that was hosting it. PM me if you want me to get you a copy.

The opening starts with a lizard on the road, instead of the groundhogs. Already an improvement.

I'm reading the Frank Darabont script for the movie, mentioned on that I grabbed before Paramount and Lucasfilms shut down the site that was hosting it. PM me if you want me to get you a copy.

The opening starts with a lizard on the road, instead of the groundhogs. Already an improvement.

Yes please. I've heard a bunch of the movie is based on the Darabont script (didn't his deal with UFOs as well?).

I'd appreciate a copy. Thanks.

Me too, although I probably won't read it for a while.

I think the main thing in the whole film that irritates me the most is Spalko's lackluster death. It wasn't really paced or scored or flaired well at all, it was just sort of "and here's where she diiiiiiiiiies....DEAD! Wow! Okay, now that that's dealt with let's get back to our heroes!", while it should've been a more dramatic moment where it keeps cutting back between Indy and the gang in jeopardy and Spalko being overwhelmed and then incinerating right as our guys escape, with one dramatic, led-up-to musical cue representing both sides of the scene.

They really, really should've. I'm surprised Spielberg didn't.

Also, this was the only film of the four that didn't have it's own signature piece of music in addition to the Indy theme. Raiders had the "ark music" (dun DUH Nuhhhhhh....nuh, dun DUH Nuhhhhhh....nuh, etc.) and Indy/Marion's theme, Temple had the Short Round music and what I call the "dramatic overthrow" theme(Dun nuh nuh NA NAH, dun nuh nuh NA nuh NA NUH NAHHHH!), and Crusade had the "awe of the Grail/fathers and sons" music(Duhhhh nuh NUH nuh nuhhhhh, NUHHHHH nuh nuh NUH nuh nuh nuhhhhhh). Kingdom used a lot of these throughout it, and quite well, but it didn't do it's own.

The main thing this sort of underscores is that, at least to me, this is really more of a "reunion show/what other adventures did Indiana Jones have after finding the Holy Grail, what became of his personal life" sort of thing, not another proper chapter in the saga. But you know what? That's just fine, and I'm so hoping they do another one.

The main thing this sort of underscores is that, at least to me, this is really more of a "reunion show/what other adventures did Indiana Jones have after finding the Holy Grail, what became of his personal life" sort of thing, not another proper chapter in the saga. But you know what? That's just fine, and I'm so hoping they do another one.

If they make another film, any and all of the mystique and magic in Indiana Jones will be gone forever. I think they should just leave it as is and let the fans decide what happens next.

If they make another film, any and all of the mystique and magic in Indiana Jones will be gone forever. I think they should just leave it as is and let the fans decide what happens next.

Thats what people said about the fourth film before it came out.

If its done well, Indy can maintain that mystique/magic through a fifth film, especially if the approach of having Mutt take over is done.

You remember hearing about the Clone Wars? You remember what you thought those were like.

Didn't quite live up to it did it?

The further adventures of Indiana Jones will always be better in your head than on camera. Another movie or two and Harrison will be far too old and those adventures will shrink because he'll be less and less able to do them.

I still think Crusade had the best ending. The adventures of Indy, Sallah, Dr. Jones Senior, and Brody were far better in my head than Crystal Skull. Not bashing it, it was good. But I agree we should be done with Indy movies now.

I want to see more Indy movies. There will always be more adventures you can imagine or whatever, if you want. That's no reason not to keep enjoying the ones they make.

And I, for one, never gave the Clone Wars a second thought until they started showing up in the EU and then the prequels. It was just a throwaway line in the first movie to me.

Latest posts

Back