Jack Kirby

Ninja4peace

I wanted to ask some questions about Jack Kirby, and thought why not start a thread? After reading an excerpt from his biography in Wizard I've been reading up...so...

What is the Fourth World...for that matter what were the first 3 worlds? How should I approach this? I'm tempted to get the first omnibus, but I want someone to explain what I should be watching out for when I read it.

How does he get away with turning a demon from Hell into a hero with his own comic?

How come I never heard of Kamandi before? He sounds awsome?

Out of the Lee / Kirby stuff what is the most Kirby? I'm thinking of probably the Fantastic Four and Thor, anything else that's got Kirby's trippy God-awsome characters in? Or any particular issues that are cool. Are these all covered in the Jack Kirby visionarry hardcovers?

I also didn't really get Seven soldiers, but I heard Grant Morrison was trying to copy the 4th world style of "a domino in each issue". If someone explains to me what that was all about and why E thinks it's better than Watchmen I'd be grateful.

I also didn't really get Seven soldiers, but I heard Grant Morrison was trying to copy the 4th world style of "a domino in each issue". If someone explains to me what that was all about and why E thinks it's better than Watchmen I'd be grateful.

I definitely like 7 Soldiers more, but that is not to say I didn't like Watchmen. Quite the contrary; I loved it and it's one of the best things I've ever read, and certainly is more significant.

I haven't read any of the Fourth World stories but the description of a domino in each issue certainly fits 7 Soldiers, and if that is the way the Fourth World books are done I might have to look into them. The depth of the plots in 7 Soldiers is astounding and everything ties together very nicely in the end.

I liked what Neil Gaiman did, so I'm looking out for Kirby's originals. I haven't seen it produced as a TPB though. Marvel are missing a trick there.

I thought they made an Eternal's omnibus

they did a Devil Dinosaur one too, which is also an all Kirby affair

What should I be looking out for? I really didn't get it the first time I tried to read it.

Hoooooo boy. There is a lot. Check out the 7 Soldiers thread here - I pointed a lot of it out in that thread.

There is an Eternals Omnibus which is out of print. I believe they are reprinting it as a series of softcover trades.

I have the Eternals Omnibus and while it's not bad per se, it is very hard for me to get through. In fact, I think it's currently still sitting in my "to read" pile because I hadn't gotten through it all the way. It's a chore to read.

Still, I suppose it's good by 70s standards.

I have the Eternals Omnibus and while it's not bad per se, it is very hard for me to get through. In fact, I think it's currently still sitting in my "to read" pile because I hadn't gotten through it all the way. It's a chore to read.

:roll:

It's a well known fact that any great comic from the 60s/70s can only truly be enjoyed on drugs, at which point reading The Eternals, or The Silver Surfer, or Dr. Strange, or ANYTHING Steranko was working on blows your mind more than Wittgenstein. You're biased to modern comics because people like Morrisson have spoiled us by transposing the drug effects directly to the page.

Latest posts

Back