Avengers Jessica "Jewel" Jones

Goodwill

I would like to know everything about Jones... Since Bendis' 'Alias' she's become quite the character in the Avengers lore and I want to know who actually came up with her and when, you know?

Goodwill said:
I would like to know everything about Jones... Since Bendis' 'Alias' she's become quite the character in the Avengers lore and I want to know who actually came up with her and when, you know?

Completely original character created by Bendis for Alias.He wanted to use Jessica Drew but Marvel management wasn't comfortable using an established character in that series for various reasons :wink:

Last edited:
Johnny Bravo said:
Completely original character created by Bendis for Alias.He wanted to use Jessica Jones but Marvel management wasn't comfortable using an established character in that series for various reasons :wink:
I believe you meant Jessica Drew, yes? And obviously, they've changed their mind since then about letting Bendis use Drew in a "controversial" way. It just isn't half as interesting as anything in Alias.

compound said:
I believe you meant Jessica Drew, yes? And obviously, they've changed their mind since then about letting Bendis use Drew in a "controversial" way. It just isn't half as interesting as anything in Alias.
I read the Rick Mays-illustrated Spider-Woman story recently. She was in no way ****ed, married or killed there, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

ourchair said:
I read the Rick Mays-illustrated Spider-Woman story recently. She was in no way ****ed, married or killed there, so I have no idea what you're talking about.
New Avengers spoiler:
she's a double agent. Still not clear who she's working for. But she's definitely undermining the NA's mission. Frankly, it feels like she was shoehorned into the book because Quesada didn't allow Bendis to use Natasha Romanov for that role. My personal guess.

Last edited:
compound said:
New Avengers spoiler:
she's a double agent. Still not clear who she's working for. But she's definitely undermining the NA's mission. Frankly, it feels like she was shoehorned into the book because Quesada didn't allow Bendis to use Natasha Romanov for that role. My personal guess.
Hm. I remember you mentioning something about how people responded with accusations of counterfeminist/borderline misogyny because Jessica was calling herself a slut. That was my interpretationt of 'controversial'.

Okay, first of all, this discussion is now more or less about Jessica Drew than it is about Jessica Jones. Might as well re-title it, or break it off into a separate thread.

Having said that...

ourchair said:
Hm. I remember you mentioning something about how people responded with accusations of counterfeminist/borderline misogyny because Jessica was calling herself a slut. That was my interpretationt of 'controversial'.

I was referring specifically to a comment by Don MacPherson of TheFourthRail, regarding Bendis overall writing of the character, as exemplified in the Mays story from Giant-Size Spider-Woman:
"I'm a cheap slut." That's the first line in Bendis's script for the short story that opens this issue, and it doesn't sit well. Spider-Woman's sexuality has been played a part in her role in New Avengers. Artists (such as cover artist Andrea DiVito) seem to place her in poses that emphasize her sexuality, and other characters are always commenting on how hot she is (which is a little more disconcerting considering she's the only female member on the team). So in that context, the character's self-denigrating "cheap slut" comment is a bit unsettling. (full review)
It has since been revealed that Drew unconsciously emits a pheromone that stimulates the male sex drive, as an extension of her spider-powers. However, she can also manipulate the levels of pheromone being released, as a 'soft' kind of mind control. And yes, it's as daft as it sounds.
Honestly, I do believe that it's also Bendis' misguided way of acknowledging the historical dynamic within the Avengers where the sole female member -- in the earliest line-up, The Wasp -- was constantly being singled out as attractive, as if that needed to be a defining quality of the character, by virtue of her gender.

Last edited:
compound said:
It has since been revealed that Drew unconsciously emits a pheromone that stimulates the male sex drive, as an extension of her spider-powers. However, she can also manipulate the levels of pheromone being released, as a 'soft' kind of mind control. And yes, it's as daft as it sounds.

Hmmm....I didn't think it was daft at all. I think it's a clever take on the powers that gives her a kind of weakness.

I've always liked powers which can't totally be controlled by the person who has them.

UltimateE said:
Hmmm....I didn't think it was daft at all. I think it's a clever take on the powers that gives her a kind of weakness.

I've always liked powers which can't totally be controlled by the person who has them.
Oh, that's not my problem with them. If anything, I do believe that not enough stories have fully explored the effects of uncontrollable powers, in terms of storytelling, beyond characters just angsting and brooding about the lack of not "owning" their bodies or abilities.

I just don't appreciate how stereotypically sexualized Drew's new powers are, given that she's the only woman on the team.

compound said:
Oh, that's not my problem with them. If anything, I do believe that not enough stories have fully explored the effects of uncontrollable powers, in terms of storytelling, beyond characters just angsting and brooding about the lack of not "owning" their bodies or abilities.

I just don't appreciate how stereotypically sexualized Drew's new powers are, given that she's the only woman on the team.

They're not new...

Latest posts

Back