John Woo's Stranglehold: The Game

the watcher

John Woo's Stranglehold continues the story of Inspector Tequila, Chow Yun Fat's character from the movie Hard Boiled. Tequila finds himself in a delicate situation whien he's approached by members of the Dragon Claw gang, Hong Kong's Dominant underworld power. The granddaughter of Dragon Claw ruler Mr. Wong has been kidnapped by the up-and-coming Golded Kane Gang, and they are trying to use her as leverage to upset the balance of power. It just so happens taht Mr. Wong's granddaughter is also Tequila's ex-wife. who had been sent to chicago for protection. Somehow, the Goldedn Kane found her, drawing Tequila into the conflict between the two Triad Gangs. Forced to walk the line between his duty as a cop and his obligation to protect a woman he loves. Inspector Tequila must Venture deep into the heart of China's underworld.

Not only is John Woo working on this. He is also developing a sequel to the movie. But he will not be Directing it. The game allows the player to become the director. They can create their own scenes and add their own dimension and action to the character. Each time they play it can be a little different.
Chow Yun Fat is lending both his likeness and voice to the project. Although his in-game character looks younger that the actor does today, to reflect the short period of time between Hard Boild and Stranglehold. they are thinking of making this a two player game. But it might not be ready for the release date. No word on when that will be Stranglehold will be released on X-Box 360 and Playstation 3.

JohnWoos2.jpg

JohnWoos3.jpg

JohnWoos4.jpg

JohnWoos5.jpg

JohnWoos6.jpg

JohnWoos7.jpg

See More pics. and Videos at: http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/748/748381.html

Last edited:
Looks really nice, too bad it's not coming out for the Revolution or else I'd be tempted to buy it.

My downloaded version of Mike Tyson's Punch Out will have to suffice.

It looks good....but action movies and video games have borrowed so much from Woo that I don't think anything in this game will be original or ground breaking.

I don't know we'll have to see.

Oh yeah---I'll still probably get it though.

Exactly what VVD said. So many games have used bullet time and dual pistols and all of that, that a John Woo game would basically be just another clone.

It IS interesting, but there really isn't much to say or discuss about it, really.

I'm not gonna complain if it turns out to be good, but on the whole I have reservations about it --- This is probably about as promising the Rise to Honor videogame featuring Jet Li and could easily be as overblown as Jean Reno's widely advertised performance in Onimusha 3.

ourchair said:
It IS interesting, but there really isn't much to say or discuss about it, really.

I'm not gonna complain if it turns out to be good, but on the whole I have reservations about it --- This is probably about as promising the Rise to Honor videogame featuring Jet Li and could easily be as overblown as Jean Reno's widely advertised performance in Onimusha 3.

Sadly...I own both.

It's pretty to look at, but it seems like every other time slowing down shooter out there. The plot is your basic badguys killing cops, so your super cop goes after them in a bloody revenge while destroying downtown Hong Kong

Did this ever come out? And was it any good?

it came out in September but you live in asia right? if So I remember someone on another site was also from there and was pissed off because it never came out there.

As for was it good , I played it and though not my type of game it was pretty damn cool.

If you want it I think your best bet is something like this http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dw-49-en-15-Stranglehold-70-1sm7.html for 360 as that is an official region free version

if you have ps3 you can buy it from ebay or something as the console is region free.

Hope this helps

It's pretty to look at, but it seems like every other time slowing down shooter out there. The plot is your basic badguys killing cops, so your super cop goes after them in a bloody revenge while destroying downtown Hong Kong
You mean it's a very unremarkable --- unremarkable = not patently bad just UNspecial --- Max Payne wannabe?

SSJmole said:
it came out in September but you live in asia right? if So I remember someone on another site was also from there and was pissed off because it never came out there.
I live in the Philippines, which has a very 'Western' market, so we tend to get games (and movies) very very close to when they come out in the U.S.

Last edited:
I live in the Philippines, which has a very 'Western' market, so we tend to get games (and movies) very very close to when they come out in the U.S.

Ah ok that's cool , Well if you find the game is not out near you follow the directions i posted above.

Ah ok that's cool , Well if you find the game is not out near you follow the directions i posted above.
Even if it WASN'T released here in stores, it'd probably be available in pirated form.

Piracy is so crazy here, that we actually say, "I bought an original copy" or a "legal retail place" as if it was necessary to make the distinction from the commonplace purchasing of pirated copies.

Even if it WASN'T released here in stores, it'd probably be available in pirated form.

Piracy is so crazy here, that we actually say, "I bought an original copy" or a "legal retail place" as if it was necessary to make the distinction from the commonplace purchasing of pirated copies.

Ahh so I assume your 360 is modded to play copied games.

Also on a related thing to this When did we the world change to the point where Pirates changed from cool high sea adventures who rescued the girl , had treasure maps and patches and parrots and hooks for a hand. To a guy living in mom's basement , in his undies , Mostly likely fat and unattractive. Downloading "Shrek" to dvd. ? :lol:

Latest posts

Back