Justice League Line-Up

Ninja4peace

Old Question, New Approach. People keeps saying how the Justice League are like Gods, The JLA I'm familiar with have 7 permanent members, 4 rotating, 1 guest and the oracle...which makes 13. I want to pair them up in such a way as to get a Definative line-up to parallel the Greek/Roman Gods...more specifically the 12 gods of olympus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympian_gods .. Some of them are obvious:

Zeus, Poseidon, Hera - Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman

Demeter - Agriculture and fertile earth, environment - Hawkman/girl i think

Artemis - Goddess of the hunt - Martian manHUNTer

Apollo - Among other things Archery - Green Arrow

Athena - Wisdom - Oracle

Hephaestus - God of fire and smithing, creates things for the league - GL I figure with the light/lantern and the creating things with the ring (maybe Steel)

Ares - War - Batman??..there's no god of detectives

Aphrodite - Love - I don't know maybe Black Canary or Zatanna

Hermes - Messenger/Guide - Flash

Hestis - God of Family/Home - This could be almost anyone with a family, Elongated Man, Atom..I don't know

What do you guys think? I mean having a League that mirrors the Greek Gods adds a certain amount of Timeless ness to this. I also thought Red Tornado or
Firestorm might go into this somewhere...there are more than 12 JL members in the whole of DC history. Anyone any ideas/comments? I was wondering if there were some other obvious ones I've missed..or if Batman should be artemis and J'onn be Ares.

Zeus - Superman
Poseidon - Aquaman
Hera - Wonder Woman
Demeter - Swamp Thing (you never said they had to match the god's genders)
Artemis - Animal Man
Apollo - The Ray
Athena - Oracle
Hephaestus - Steel / Green Lantern
Ares - Orion
Aphrodite -
Hermes - The Flash
Hestia - Black Canary

Awhile ago Wizard noticed the parallels between the JLA and the Greek paetheon.

Zeus: Superman- an obvious choice

Hera: Wonder Woman- again obvious

Poseiden: Aquaman

Hades: Batman- Bats operates in the dark, criminal underworld

Eros: Zauriel- 'cause of the wings I guess

Apollo: Green Lantern- Evil fears Green Lantern's light.

Artemis: Huntress- obviously

Demeter: Big Barda- I forgot the reasoning behind this.

Ares: Orion- Son of Darkseid and a natural warrior

Hephaestus: Steel- Pretty obvious

Athena: Oracle

Hermes: Flash

I don't think they had an Aphrodite though.

So that's pretty much the line up for JLA 20ish onwards..I'm not up to date haven't read anything since infinite crisis. or Before JLA v3. I guess Martian Manhunter is Aphrodite..and Green Arrow will have to settle for Pan or something...hmmm maybe Green Arrow is Arphrodite...like Cupid. But good spot I always mean to read Wizard, I've only ever bought it once

Just realised you said a few months ago, when that was what the line-up probably was.

Last edited:
Good move putting Vertigo characters on there...but no batman...controversial...I suppose Hades would be Death from the Endless then

I'd give Hades to Batman. He's the lord of the Underworld. The Criminal Underworld. Makes sense.

The Wizard list doesn't have Hestis - Goddess of Home/Family too..Eros is one of the Daddier gods, and Hades isn't olympian so list missed Aphrodite and Hestia from pantheon. Matian Manhunter as hestia?

The Wizard list was from a few years ago actually ( I think that Supes was still blue), I don't think they listed Hestia but I really don't remember.

The Titans are the "villains" in Greek mythology, so Batman being Prometheus really wouldn't fit.

Also, I'm a fan of obscure characters, plus I think Swamp Thing, The Ray, and Animal Man fit perfectly with their respective gods. Apollo is the god of light and, to quote Kingdom Come, The Ray is the Lord of Light.

Apollo is god of light and music and archery and various things...I think black canary, green arrow, green lantern or ray...after looking at the wikipedia for Ray I think he's a good choice

The Titans are the "villains" in Greek mythology, so Batman being Prometheus really wouldn't fit.

Also, I'm a fan of obscure characters, plus I think Swamp Thing, The Ray, and Animal Man fit perfectly with their respective gods. Apollo is the god of light and, to quote Kingdom Come, The Ray is the Lord of Light.

not really, he lightened the world so to speak and that's something batman would do, plus I don't see any restrictions on here saying prometheus couldn't be batman. i think it fits him perfectly. Doesn't promethean me intellectual and bold. that batman, no? Every story it seems, tha batman is always against superman and if supermanis zeus then it makes more sense that batman is prometheus.

Prometheus is a Titan who stole fire from the Olympians. Putting that into context, it would be about a person who stole precious artifacts from the Justice League. Doesn't really sound like Batman, does it?

Prometheus is a Titan who stole fire from the Olympians. Putting that into context, it would be about a person who stole precious artifacts from the Justice League. Doesn't really sound like Batman, does it?

yeah, but you make it seem like he was winona ryder. he did it for the purpose to enlighten the greater good. so i think it does sound like batman.

To the Gods, Prometheus committed the ultimate crime. He stole from them. Prometheus would be more like Lex, who would steal Justice League technology and distribute it to the people through LexCorp.

To the Gods, Prometheus committed the ultimate crime. He stole from them. Prometheus would be more like Lex, who would steal Justice League technology and distribute it to the people through LexCorp.

How does luthor benefit though. if anything, he would be a powerful aristocrator something to that affect. prometheus did good in the eyes of the people. when does luthor do anything good, without personal gain or without the earth in peril?

How does luthor benefit though. if anything, he would be a powerful aristocrator something to that affect. prometheus did good in the eyes of the people. when does luthor do anything good, without personal gain or without the earth in peril?

He thinks he's doing it for the good of the people (depending on the version you read) but really its for himself

He thinks he's doing it for the good of the people (depending on the version you read) but really its for himself

ok well my main question is, why go through all of it and then be exiled? There is no benefit to wait 30,000 years to be freed. I see no gain or selfishness from doing a deed such as this. Exactly why i see someone like batman doing this becasue he is selfless.

EDIT: also, I never got the tone that he was in it for himself to steal the fire.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back