Kirkman shows off sketches from Ultimate X-Men #73

I think the conversation that Scott and Storm are having is about Jean. Magician is listening in because, somehow, he's got something to do with her being the Phoenix. That's just a guess, though.

Just thought i would respectfully point out that that isn't Storm. Looks like Rogue to me, red eyes and all. And Magician has nothing to do with the Phoenix storyline at all. These are not connected. What we have here are multiple stories going on at once, a la the good old days when the stories were more serial rather than arc (TPB) based...

I am only suggesting that the Magician is tied to the transformation that Jean is going through because he showed up about the same time the Phoenix was reintroduced. With that and the fact that Kirkman is writing what seems to be one of those Millar-esque 12 issue arcs, I thought the Magician may have something to do with the Hellfire Club, Lilandra, or the ancient Phoenix. It's not that much of a stretch considering we hardly know anything about the Magician... Goodness, you guys need to stop cracking on my speculation all the time.

Goodness, you guys need to stop cracking on my speculation all the time.

Fair enough. I was a little sharp in my reply. Not really intended.

I have been getting the feeling from the way Kirkman answers interview questions that he's spinning a more complex tale. I don't know how the magician fits into it all but I suspect that he's really just a side story running in parallel with the Pheonix story. Given that the pheonix was introduced long ago, i'm not sure how the magician fits into that story...

Course, you could be absolutely right also... :)

Goodwill said:
I am only suggesting that the Magician is tied to the transformation that Jean is going through because he showed up about the same time the Phoenix was reintroduced. With that and the fact that Kirkman is writing what seems to be one of those Millar-esque 12 issue arcs, I thought the Magician may have something to do with the Hellfire Club, Lilandra, or the ancient Phoenix. It's not that much of a stretch considering we hardly know anything about the Magician...
Just because Kirkman's having retcon fun with Jean's family doesn't mean he's going to go rape Millar's existing Phoenix arc to fit Magician in...
Goodwill said:
But it's fun?

Goodwill said:
No one is "cracking" on your speculation, but when you say things that come out of left field and without explanation, don't blame anyone but yourself. And you do this ALL the time.

Ultimate Houde said:
Yes

But you see, this relates back to the Spiderman/Lesbian thing

Everything is related
Ahhhhh. Gotcha. It all makes sense now...
Ice said:
Goodwill said:
No one is "cracking" on your speculation, but when you say things that come out of left field and without explanation, don't blame anyone but yourself. And you do this ALL the time.
PWN3D!

Last edited:
I think everyone is being too harsh on Goodwill! His theory makes a degree of sense to me. Kirkman is pretty good about having plot threads interweave (MTU, Walking Dead, Invincible....etc), and I wouldn't be surprised if the magician does have something to do with this.

I mean, he IS Kirkmans pet character, and we already know he was behind the Brotherhood attack (or its at least strongly implied). Maybe he did spark this latest Pheonix episode, it would explain why he is there. Kirkman has a larger story he wants to tell about the Magician, and Jean could be a part of it.

After all, there is no way that Marvel has a comprehensive plan or explanation for Ultimate Pheonix, they are just letting the writers tell their stories. I really don't see how it "rapes" what Millar did to have the latest Phoenix episode somehow instigated or influenced by this mystery character with seemingly endless powers. He DID already unintentionally kill his family and cause a terrorist attack.

First post BTW, hi everyone!

Ultimate MJ said:
I mean, he IS Kirkmans pet character, and we already know he was behind the Brotherhood attack (or its at least strongly implied). Maybe he did spark this latest Pheonix episode, it would explain why he is there. Kirkman has a larger story he wants to tell about the Magician, and Jean could be a part of it.
I doubt he's the cause notetably since he was focusing on something else.

Ultimate MJ said:
First post BTW, hi everyone!
Welcome!

Last edited:
Ultimate MJ said:
After all, there is no way that Marvel has a comprehensive plan or explanation for Ultimate Pheonix, they are just letting the writers tell their stories. I really don't see how it "rapes" what Millar did to have the latest Phoenix episode somehow instigated or influenced by this mystery character with seemingly endless powers. He DID already unintentionally kill his family and cause a terrorist attack.
Yes, he did kill his family... when his powers activated. At which point Nick Fury showed up, captured him, and shipped him off to the mansion for Xavier to play with. All of which was months or a year after Jean became the Phoenix, and is still after Jean has already been shown to be growing more powerful and the Phoenix manifesting itself stronger (like on Genosha). Jean's Phoenix problems have been brewing for longer than the Magician has been an active mutant, even if you're only considering the latest episodes.

From what we've seen of the Magician in the lastest arc, it is obvious there is more to him than what we learned from his first appearance. How could a character go from being a scared individual who did not know he was a mutant to a mutant who could, without trouble, control his powers and deal with mutant terrorists without trouble. You've gotta wonder if there's something going on with him, right? Now, based on what I have read in the rest of the past issues, there's reason to believe there is something more to Lilandra, the Shi'ar, and the Hellfire Club than what we have seen. I was only speculating that these two pieces may fit together. I don't see how this suggestion is out of left field at all... It could definitely be reading into the preview pages a bit much, however, I don't think it's any further from any of the guesses everyone else has had.

Honestly, there are a lot of times where I think the members on this board are a bit unfair. I don't bring anything on myself - my speculation is with purpose and it is as purely innocent as everyone elses. Yes, I may have off the wall ideas, but they are only met with off the wall reactions... Which is just as bad. So, I would really stop this clique-y bull**** that has come up and let the good times roll.

Goodwill said:
From what we've seen of the Magician in the lastest arc, it is obvious there is more to him than what we learned from his first appearance. How could a character go from being a scared individual who did not know he was a mutant to a mutant who could, without trouble, control his powers and deal with mutant terrorists without trouble. You've gotta wonder if there's something going on with him, right? Now, based on what I have read in the rest of the past issues, there's reason to believe there is something more to Lilandra, the Shi'ar, and the Hellfire Club than what we have seen. I was only speculating that these two pieces may fit together. I don't see how this suggestion is out of left field at all... It could definitely be reading into the preview pages a bit much, however, I don't think it's any further from any of the guesses everyone else has had. .
As JTG said, Phoenix hints have been planted throughout the series since after the HFC arc by Millar. Now the thing was is the way you're saying things, the context you put it in is how it gets misinterpreteted. Don't just say something and leave it at that. Explain yourself with your speculation rather than just say something, have people go "WTF?!" and then try to explain something.

Goodwill said:
So, I would really stop this clique-y bull**** that has come up and let the good times roll.
Yes, becuase we're all in it to get you. :roll:

Goodwill said:
So, I would really stop this clique-y bull**** that has come up and let the good times roll.
Ice and I are a clique?

Hey Ice, wanna come over for a slumber party? We can eat icecream and braid each others' hair!

Goodz, I rarely "bash your speculations" but this is just stupid. Is this the new running theme for Ultimate Central? Everything is connected? That's terrible storytelling if you ask me.

Living Large said:
Just thought i would respectfully point out that that isn't Storm. Looks like Rogue to me, red eyes and all.
I think you're wrong on that one. Rogue's sittin' in the back getting yelled at by Kitty. And how do you know that they're red eyes? That's clearly Storm talking to Scott.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I think you're wrong on that one. Rogue's sittin' in the back getting yelled at by Kitty. And how do you know that they're red eyes? That's clearly Storm talking to Scott.
Yes, it is Storm for 2 reasons:

Rogue has longer hair than Storm. And Storm's eyes go completely white, so at times you won't see her pupils. Rogue still has her pupils showing, don't forget.

I agree that it would be silly if it turned out that Magician was behind ALL of the pheonix stuff, especially the earlier arcs.

But why is it so outrageous to think that the new mysterious character might be PROVOKING or influencing Jeans latest meltdown?

Goodwills theory isn't that far out there to think that Magician is either conciously or subconciously provoking problems at the institute right now.

Ultimate MJ said:
But why is it so outrageous to think that the new mysterious character might be PROVOKING or influencing Jeans latest meltdown?
Cuz Phoenix has already been "leaking" through here and there, and Lilandra is the one who pushed Jean.

Latest posts

Back