Kirkman to unveil Ultimate Shi'ar?

Re: Shi'ar being ultimitized?! Say it ain't so!

Personally i want her to be pretty mentally unstable, but since Charlie can really see her "inner intellect" and stuff, he lets it slide cuz she's a hottie.

Seriously, a really hot girl comes up to you and says "I am the Empress of an ALIEN EMPIRE!!! Let's make out!"

What would YOU do?

(and before you tell me that's not happening... This is the guy who wrote Battle Pope, Isn't it?)

Dr.Strangefate said:
Personally i want her to be pretty mentally unstable, but since Charlie can really see her "inner intellect" and stuff, he lets it slide cuz she's a hottie.
...is this really DSF talking here?

Lynx said:
They're not hoping around in time yet, but I'm just pointing out that it's one of two things I wish would never happen in X-men.

Gotcha.

As for why the Shi'ar are involved with the X-men, it's because they basically contacted Xavier because of both his peacful deamenor and his intellegence.
They also had quite a bit to do with Dark Pheonix. To me, I always thought of this as weak, especially since the X-men should be focusing on mutant problems, not alien problems. As for why the Ultimates would be involved with aliens is because the Ultimates are meant as a defense force. If an alien race is a threat, they fight them. And the Fantastic Four deal with aliens because they're explorers. The Shi'ar simply don't fit with the X-men theme.

I was speaking of the Ultimate universe as a whole in pointing out those titles/instances. And you're right on those points, but aren't the X-Men also a defensive force, and also (at least until recently) funded by the government/SHIELD? Again, don't assume the 616 versions will just be brought over into the Ultimate universe...like I said, give it a chance, see how its going to be approached, presented, and handled before jumping the gun.

Here; let me quote the article.

"Best breakout talent Wizard Fan Award-winner Robert Kirkman (Walking Dead) and artist Tom Raney (Outsiders) continue their nine-issue arc, introducing and Ultimitizing Shi'ar staple and new love intrest for Xavier, Lilandra, as well as premiering a new character called the Magician. Lilandra claims to be from space. . .but is she for real and can she be trusted?"

See? Its not even saying she is from space or an alien, just saying its possible. And its not even saying he's going to Ultimize the Shi'ar, the article just said that Lilandra, a "Shi'ar staple" from 616, will show up in the Ultimate universe. You're basically putting words into the article's figurative mouth. Stop assuming, relax, and see how it turns out.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I bet nothing of the Shi'ar deals with Scott.

I agree and hope it holds true. I'd rather see Ultimate Scott and Alex's dad just be some drunk trucker who ran out on his family.

So this means the message Xavier got wasn't just Mad Thinker screwin' around? I don't want her carried into Kirkman's run. She's being abused enough... I'm willing to give Kirkman credit. I think it will deal with Lilandra more than the Shi'ar so we won't get so much "alien" but more of this new member (?) So she's the new member?

No, it was just Mad Thinker. This is confirmed by her reaction to the X-Men leaving the mansion, and them being out on time...unless she's in some uber-conspiracy with an alien race, which I seriously doubt. Trust me, the events in Ultimate X-Men/FF and Kirkman's UXM run won't have anything to do with one another other than the characters and maybe a mention of the events. That'll be it.

Dr.Strangefate said:

Seriously, a really hot girl comes up to you and says "I am the Empress of an ALIEN EMPIRE!!! Let's make out!"

What would YOU do?

(and before you tell me that's not happening... This is the guy who wrote Battle Pope, Isn't it?)

You're not as gay as you make yourself out to be. ;)

As for Lilandra supposedly being an alien, I see the same technique Millar used for Thor being used here, but in a slightly different way. I think Xavier will read her mind, and find certain blocks or things he can't understand, which lead him to believe she's not lying, thereby validating her story without going over-the-top and bringing the Shi'ar into it other than her.

The whole point of the Ultimate Universe was to avert confusion that was built up over the years in 616. I think, if done correctly, the Shi'ar could be good additions to the universe. You can't take away X-Men history from a book that is repeating it in new light... That would just be wrong. I'm definitely in favor of Lilandra showing up. Without a doubt.

However...

If Lilandra is the new member, I will cry... I'd like it to be a younger person to add to the hysteria being produced by the cast already. If Lily's going to be dating Xavier, she can't be that young. It's great that we'll get to see more characterization of Xavier, but I'm not open to her becoming a team member.

If she is really an alien... I think it might be interesting to use her as more of an Ambassador character... That would allow for a new spin on Lillandra, and also allow the book to keep it's political feel (and give Xavier back his position of influence over the American Government)

There are alot of comic book elitists at this site. Seriously, you would burn your comics if X was dating an alien. Why? It's a comic book, and you totally ate up Cap being trapped in Ice for decades and Thor and Storm being able to control the weather, and you guys are so ready to eat up anything that has to do with galactus. If lilandra is an alien princess it's not a big deal, because that's what she was in 616 just like cap is a super soldier, thor is a norse god, iron man is a guy in a suit, x and the x men are mutants, and nick runs sheild. So if she is an alien princess i don't care, I know they are gonna flip it like they did with every other character. And I want to watch them flip.

Goodwill said:
The whole point of the Ultimate Universe was to avert confusion that was built up over the years in 616. I think, if done correctly, the Shi'ar could be good additions to the universe. You can't take away X-Men history from a book that is repeating it in new light... That would just be wrong. I'm definitely in favor of Lilandra showing up. Without a doubt.
Thank you, Goodwill. I hate - yes - hate all the whining about aliens being involved with the X-Men and how it's wrong and all that crap. I mean, does that even make sense considering that the X-Men are in Ultimate Extinction, an event centered around aliens!? Or, for that matter, that we're discussing a comic book universe in which aliens exist on planet (12 races confirmed with the Kree, right?) earth? Obviously these aliens are heavy on security, but seeing as how the X-Men are always looking for trouble, would it be so hard to believe they could run into at least one (possibly rogue) alien throughout their existence?
Hell, the aliens are probably shaking in their boots after the destruction of the Chitauri! Who knows if they aren't all scrambling to get off-world now. It's even easier for the X-Men to meet an alien! Let's all burn our comic books, shave our heads (no offense, Irish) and leave this site so we can become better people!!

Also, don't judge until you've seen. Even I had to clear this up over in my post on the cover to UFF#28. I'm not judging till I've actually seen, but based on the (in the case of UFF#28: Mark Millar's) track record I can at least theorize. Here we have a new writer (Kirkman) and a pretty clean track record when it comes to aliens (Chitauri; Kree) or supposed unearthly beings (Thor; Loki) and yet you're complaining already?

Goodwill said:
However...

If Lilandra is the new member, I will cry... I'd like it to be a younger person to add to the hysteria being produced by the cast already. If Lily's going to be dating Xavier, she can't be that young. It's great that we'll get to see more characterization of Xavier, but I'm not open to her becoming a team member.
Well, considering Xavier's track record in regards to the ladies, Lilandra could be really young!

And I'm all for Lilandra, D'Ken and even Gladiator...just don't ultimitize Deathbird! Please! I beg of you!
Also, I doubt Kirkman's gonna pull the proverbial alien invasion or Phoenix saga out of his hat with only nine issues of fun-fun-fun!

The End

Goodwill said:
The whole point... was... I will cry. I'd like it to be... dating Xavier. It's great that we'll get to see... coming... member.

Wow, somebody turn the hose on this guy.

Here's why I am pissed: The X-men are about MUTANTS, not aliens or hardcore sci-fi/fantasy. 616 had Nightcrawler as half a demon, 616 X-men had the X-men jumping across the space/time continium, and 616 X-men has more alternate reality characters then freaking Infinite Crisis.

Why am I fine with them fighting Galactus? Because he's a WORLD THREAT. Every super hero should be fighting him.

I don't want him to start appearing in the X-men book. Just like I don't want the Shi'ar or alternate future version of Scott and Jean Grey's clone's son to appear either. It's not the tone of the book.

Lynx said:
Here's why I am pissed: The X-men are about MUTANTS, not aliens or hardcore sci-fi/fantasy. 616 had Nightcrawler as half a demon, 616 X-men had the X-men jumping across the space/time continium, and 616 X-men has more alternate reality characters then freaking Infinite Crisis.

Why am I fine with them fighting Galactus? Because he's a WORLD THREAT. Every super hero should be fighting him.

I don't want him to start appearing in the X-men book. Just like I don't want the Shi'ar or alternate future version of Scott and Jean Grey's clone's son to appear either. It's not the tone of the book.
While I agree about certain aspects: Cable, alternate futures, half-demon Nightcrawler (which is actually just pure-mutant Nightcrawler with an immortal mutant father who is the basis for legends of satan, not an actual demon/satan)...the Shiar don't fall into that fold for me.
To me, bad ideas should not be recycled, or if they are they should be so different that they're good. An example of this could be stuff like Operation Zero Tolerance or Onslaught. The Shi'ar have, by and large, been part of important X-related stories and haven't really been misused (except for Deathbird).
If they are ultimitized and kept quiet and in the shadows for a long while, that's perfect.

As for the title being about mutants. Were you against Sinister then? He was human. How about Mojo? He was even more human than Sinister! Deathstrike? Another human! Holy Moses! Humans everywhere! Let's burn our books!

Nas-T! said:
While I agree about certain aspects: Cable, alternate futures, half-demon Nightcrawler (which is actually just pure-mutant Nightcrawler with an immortal mutant father who is the basis for legends of satan, not an actual demon/satan)...the Shiar don't fall into that fold for me.
To me, bad ideas should not be recycled, or if they are they should be so different that they're good. An example of this could be stuff like Operation Zero Tolerance or Onslaught. The Shi'ar have, by and large, been part of important X-related stories and haven't really been misused (except for Deathbird).
If they are ultimitized and kept quiet and in the shadows for a long while, that's perfect.

As for the title being about mutants. Were you against Sinister then? He was human. How about Mojo? He was even more human than Sinister! Deathstrike? Another human! Holy Moses! Humans everywhere! Let's burn our books!

Well, they do for me.

Sinister: He was a MUTANT Serial Killer. He was employed BY A MUTANT.

Mojo: He was hosting a reality TV show where they were killing MUTANTS. And Mojo WAS a mutant, an albino is a mutant according to Xavier, jsut a different kind.

Deathstrike: Tied to both Storm (Former friend and mentor) and Wolverine (Through Weapon X). Also, both Sinister and Deathstrike ARE mutants. Artificial mutants.

Aliens are best left in to the Ultimates and Fantastic Four.

Lynx said:
Well, they do for me.

Sinister: He was a MUTANT Serial Killer. He was employed BY A MUTANT.

Mojo: He was hosting a reality TV show where they were killing MUTANTS. And Mojo WAS a mutant, an albino is a mutant according to Xavier, jsut a different kind.

Deathstrike: Tied to both Storm (Former friend and mentor) and Wolverine (Through Weapon X). Also, both Sinister and Deathstrike ARE mutants. Artificial mutants.

Aliens are best left in to the Ultimates and Fantastic Four.

Actually, I think Sinister was a genetically-enhanced human. Or do you mean that he kills mutants?

EDIT: Nevermind, just read the artificial mutant thing. The technical term is Homo sapiens novus.

Last edited:
Lynx said:

Right. For the same reason I don't want to see Ultimate Cosmic Spider-Man. It doesn't belong. It doesn't fit the tone of the book. Ultimate X-Men is about people who are different living in a world and trying to deal with people who can't deal with them. Aliens do not belong in this book.

UltimateE said:
Right. For the same reason I don't want to see Ultimate Cosmic Spider-Man. It doesn't belong. It doesn't fit the tone of the book. Ultimate X-Men is about people who are different living in a world and trying to deal with people who can't deal with them. Aliens do not belong in this book.
Agreed.

Well, since they have history with them in 616, we're going to get them wether we want them or not, wether it's by Kirkman or not.

As long as they're done well, I don't mind. But Kirkman will do them justice. And I say this because as he said in a previous Newsarama interview, he said he feels that stories here should (of course) be done different than how they're done in 616. That what would be the point in ending something like the Phoenix Saga the same way that it was done in 616? His answer was none; there is no point in doing it that way. So he's not going to just "copy and paste" and let the characters be the exact same as their 616 counterparts. If he does ultimize the Shi'ar, I think he'll treat it the same as he his example above.

icemastertron said:
Well, since they have history with them in 616, we're going to get them wether we want them or not, wether it's by Kirkman or not.

As long as they're done well, I don't mind. But Kirkman will do them justice. And I say this because as he said in a previous Newsarama interview, he said he feels that stories here should (of course) be done different than how they're done in 616. That what would be the point in ending something like the Phoenix Saga the same way that it was done in 616? His answer was none; there is no point in doing it that way. So he's not going to just "copy and paste" and let the characters be the exact same as their 616 counterparts. If he does ultimize the Shi'ar, I think he'll treat it the same as he his example above.
Once again, agreed.

icemastertron said:

Just because the Shi'ar had history with the 616 X-men does not mean they need to be brought over to the Ultimate Universe. Especially not as aliens. Hey, we may be overreacting, but it seriously sounds like Kirkman is introducing the Shi'ar as aliens from outer space. If they had a cameo (Like The Brood as Danger Room holograms), or if Kirkman had some revoulionary way to Ultimaitize them, like a mutant sub-breed, fine.

But aliens? Come on, now. We can't simply accept it because it is. Otherwise we'll wind up with Ultimate Age of Apocalypse a few years down the road.

Lynx said:
Just because the Shi'ar had history with the 616 X-men does not mean they need to be brought over to the Ultimate Universe.
That doesn't mean that it was NEVER going to happen.

Lynx said:
Especially not as aliens.
Yeah, you have one big problem with aliens. They're not that bad in these stories. Like I said, as long as they're written good, there's nothing that's that bad.

Lynx said:
Hey, we may be overreacting
We? Maybe just you...

Lynx said:
but it seriously sounds like Kirkman is introducing the Shi'ar as aliens from outer space.
So what? See bolded part of quote 2.

Lynx said:
If they had a cameo (Like The Brood as Danger Room holograms), or if Kirkman had some revoulionary way to Ultimaitize them, like a mutant sub-breed, fine.
Mutant sub-breed? From space? Not sure about that. But The Brood, yes, it was a reference by Vaughan, BUT! they were never named (least not that I remember), so they can actually be still ultimized. But that's a different talk.

Lynx said:
But aliens? Come on, now. We can't simply accept it because it is. Otherwise we'll wind up with Ultimate Age of Apocalypse a few years down the road.
You don't want to accept it? That's on you. You don't have to like it. No one does. But the Shi'ar have a big history with the X-Men. The Brood? Not so much. They're not going to be ignored. And just because the Shi'ar are coming, and saying that "you have to accept it" (again, not exactly what I was saying), doesn't mean we'll get Ultimate Age of Apocalypse. That's something that's different.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back