Lady in the Water **SPOILERS!**

How would you rate "Lady in the Water"

• Total voters

Planet-man

Toronto, Ontario(by way of the Kepler Verge)
Saw it tonight. I quite enjoyed it, but it wasn't nearly as good as M. Night Shyamalan's first three films.

Sadly, I haven't seen The Villiage yet(but I still know everything that happened in it, long story).

- Giamatti was excellent. He was definitely the right man for the part.
- Bryce Dallas Howard...same verdict as Giamatti. She's just got this...quality.
- M. Night Shyamalan, in his surprisingly substantial acting role, was awesome. I was really surprised. He did a superb job.

LITW bombed yesterday, making only 6.9 million at the box office.

The Village had an opening day of 20 million, and its overall Box Office gross was considered a failure.

M. Night must be having a pretty cruddy day.

I saw it today and I loved it (I like just about everything Shyamalan does). It was very magical and a lot funnier than I thought it would be. Giamatti is officially the most likable actor on the planet (**** Tom Hanks). He could be playing a serial rapist who kills babies and I'd still like him. The whole cast was great. I definitely enjoyed it.

moonmaster said:
I saw it today and I loved it (I like just about everything Shyamalan does). It was very magical and a lot funnier than I thought it would be. Giamatti is officially the most likable actor on the planet (**** Tom Hanks). He could be playing a serial rapist who kills babies and I'd still like him. The whole cast was great. I definitely enjoyed it.

Then on that note, I'll definitely rent it. :)

moonmaster said:
Giamatti is officially the most likable actor on the planet (**** Tom Hanks). He could be playing a serial rapist who kills babies and I'd still like him. The whole cast was great. I definitely enjoyed it.

Hah! I was saying exactly that to my dad this morning(only afterwards I said "just like Tom Hanks")!! For the record, Hanks is actually my favourite actor.

By the way, Shyamalan trademark checklist!:

*Spoilers!*

- Prominent use of the colour red? Check! - the monster's eyes
- Water? Check! - Rain, the pool, the title, etc.
- Marital troubles? Check! - Cleveland's tragedy
- Constant use of reflections? Check! - All over the place, but specificly the Scrunt-eye thing.
- Car accident? Nope. The first of his 5 films not to feature one.
- Shyamalan cameo? Check(and then some)!
- Takes place in Philidelphia? Check!
- Star connected to previous Shyamalan film? Check! - Bryce Dallas Howard

Last edited:
Planet-man said:
Hah! I was saying exactly that to my dad this morning(only afterwards I said "just like Tom Hanks")!! For the record, Hanks is actually my favourite actor.

By the way, Shyamalan trademark checklist!:

*Spoilers!*

- Prominent use of the colour red? Check! - the monster's eyes
- Water? Check! - Rain, the pool, the title, etc.
- Marital troubles? Check! - Cleveland's tragedy
- Constant use of reflections? Check! - All over the place, but specificly the Scrunt-eye thing.
- Car accident? Nope. The first of his 5 films not to feature one.
- Shyamalan cameo? Check(and then some)!
- Takes place in Philidelphia? Check!
- Star connected to previous Shyamalan film? Check! - Bryce Dallas Howard
I bet you he's going to bring back Giamatti for his next film. I know it.
Goodwill said:
I've heard this movie was very confusing or subject to having a very weak plot... This true?
The plot can be congusing. The plot revolves around an old fairy tale with a ton of characters and rules. There are also a lot of little twists, like the characters constantly misinterpreting the story and having to go back and do things over again.

moonmaster said:
I bet you he's going to bring back Giamatti for his next film. I know it.

God, I hope so. I'm actually seeing Cinderella Man tonight, so the Giamatti bender I'm on continues.

Goodwill said:
I've heard this movie was very confusing or subject to having a very weak plot... This true?

It is if you go in expecting everything to be laid out for you a la Sixth Sense or Unbreakable.

It's not if you involve yourself in the movie and really think about it, and what it means on different levels. That's the key to really liking the film.

Great film. Very different from his other films. The commercials always try to market this as a scary movie........but in fact--it's not.

So anyone expecting to be scared or shocked like "Village" or "Sixth Sense"....you will be disappointed. At no time during the film was I or anyone else scared.

Still......very great. M.Night said that it was a "bedtime" story and it was. There were suspenseful moments yeah....but in commercials they try to push this as "is she someone to help---or something to be feared?" But it is very obvious who is the good guy and who's the bad guy.

Victor Von Doom said:
Great film. Very different from his other films. The commercials always try to market this as a scary movie........but in fact--it's not.

So anyone expecting to be scared or shocked like "Village" or "Sixth Sense"....you will be disappointed. At no time during the film was I or anyone else scared.

Still......very great. M.Night said that it was a "bedtime" story and it was. There were suspenseful moments yeah....but in commercials they try to push this as "is she someone to help---or something to be feared?" But it is very obvious who is the good guy and who's the bad guy.

I always thought this was why Shymalan met so much criticism... His movies are marketed wrong and people are put off by how different a movie it is to what they were expecting. His movies are meaningful, unlike most of what we get now.

Goodwill said:
I always thought this was why Shymalan met so much criticism... His movies are marketed wrong and people are put off by how different a movie it is to what they were expecting. His movies are meaningful, unlike most of what we get now.

Well in the critics' defense....he kinda pigeoned-hole himself into it. When you make 4 films in a row that are centered around a big suprise at then end....and then you make something different, you have to know that people are gonna feel slightly let down.

I don't think they've ever been marketed wrong. He write suspenseful-thrillers. That's how they've been presented....and to great success.

I agree that most of his films are thought provoking....but they're not as deep as some might hope.

moonmaster said:
He could be playing a serial rapist...
tshirt2.gif

goodwill is entirely right about his films being marketed wrong.

wrong in the sense that people are expecting something it is not. but they market them right in the sense that they make crap loads of money.

trailers ruin movies. don't watch them.

Latest posts

Back