Lasik/laser eye surgery

E

Excelsior Club
I'm looking into getting laser eye surgery done sometime soon. It makes no sense to keep dumping money into contacts that I am slowly becoming unable to wear.

Has anyone here had it done? What was it like? Do you have any problems?

I'm looking into getting laser eye surgery done sometime soon. It makes no sense to keep dumping money into contacts that I am slowly becoming unable to wear.

Had a girl in my training class that had it done .

I have. It's worked out great for me.

You might've noticed that many of the older pictures that have been posted of me across the web have me in glasses, and new avatars I post never have them anymore.

I had my surgery done shortly before the summer of 2007, before I took a trip to Europe. I had a grade of 500/500 making it difficult for me to read even large print or street signs. It made no sense for me to go on an extended trip and risk losing my glasses... and while I could easily get a new pair made anywhere, I had a budget of 30 euros a day... meaning getting it made in a foreign country with a higher standard of living would put me into dumpster diving.

As for the experience, it's a painless affair and what you 'see' as its all being done is like watching a few special effects sequences from Sunshine or Blindness.

I still kick it old school with glasses.

Me too.

My sister chose to have contacts instead and complains about them everyday. They are too fiddly for me and I don't like the idea of putting things on my eyeballs.

I might get laser eye surgery one day if I get sick of glasses.

My mom had it done several years ago, no problems except now her eyes are slowly reverting back. However, the procedure is probably more permanent nowadays.

One of my uncles had it done and as far as I know it turned out great. I think I remember him saying it hurt, though, but it probably depends on the specific type of alteration. Just pretend you're going through some sort of Captain America-like procedure!

Y'know, if you want to save some money, I'll shoot your eyes with some lasers.

One of my friends had it done about ten years ago, and now his vision is slowly going again. It's not a permanent solution, but there's not a huge failure rate either.

Oh, and it can make you go blind if the procedure ****s up, so do some research on the doctor you choose.

I still kick it old school with glasses.

I would do it more, but my vision is absolutely terrible and I can't see a thing, so my glasses are kind of thick, even though I got the treatment that thins them out a little.

I have. It's worked out great for me.

You might've noticed that many of the older pictures that have been posted of me across the web have me in glasses, and new avatars I post never have them anymore.

I had my surgery done shortly before the summer of 2007, before I took a trip to Europe. I had a grade of 500/500 making it difficult for me to read even large print or street signs. It made no sense for me to go on an extended trip and risk losing my glasses... and while I could easily get a new pair made anywhere, I had a budget of 30 euros a day... meaning getting it made in a foreign country with a higher standard of living would put me into dumpster diving.

As for the experience, it's a painless affair and what you 'see' as its all being done is like watching a few special effects sequences from Sunshine or Blindness.

Awesome. Do you have any problems at night? My sister had it done a few years ago and she had a problem with extreme dryness in her eyes for about 6 mos. She said she has a really hard time driving at night because of the starburst effect with lights, and it's worse when it's raining.

My wife worked at an eyeglass company for a couple years and said there have been major improvements even in the last couple of years that lesen these types of problems (apparently it's with scarring; newer techniques reduce the scarring).

I'm a big baby when it comes to my eyes...I forced myself to adapt to contacts because my glasses were so bad, but I'm still sensitive to them and I never get the full use out of disposable contacts. I think I can muster up the willpower to have my eyelids clamped open but it will be hard.

Awesome. Do you have any problems at night?
Actually, no. I've had a pretty good history of being able to see very well in the dark for my entire life, but that's probably just because I'm a) a darkness loving geek who would read and play games in the dark and b) The Philippines used to have major power outage problems in the late 80s to early 90s.

That aside, I had to wear these thick goggles to keep dust or any other foreign particles from entering my eyes for a handful of weeks, but that's typical procedure at this point in LASIK, as you're not supposed to scratch your eyes or get stuff in them while they heal.

Sometimes, I feel like supermarket lights are a little glaring and hard to put up with, but I think that's just the way I roll with lightness and darkness, and has little to do with the after effects o the LASIK itself.

Your wife is also correct. The doctor told me a lot about the changes in technology, so I think your experience will depend on which particular machine they are using to surgerify it into awesometitude.

E said:
I think I can muster up the willpower to have my eyelids clamped open but it will be hard.
Yeah, that was my big anxiety prior to the whole ordeal. I was all like, "What if a loud sound happens and like I turn and the whole thing's ruined?" but it turned out okay and i didn't suddenly jerk my pupils and ruin the whole thing.

Yeah, that was my big anxiety prior to the whole ordeal. I was all like, "What if a loud sound happens and like I turn and the whole thing's ruined?" but it turned out okay and i didn't suddenly jerk my pupils and ruin the whole thing.

Houde mentioned something to that effect...I'm not too worried about that part of it, because the way they set the laser up it will not fire if you move your eye. It's locked in.

Actually having a clamp holding my eye open will be enough to put my in a mental institution though.

I spent about 65,000 pesos in 2007, which is about 1500 dollars in today's exchange rates. It most likely costs more in the United States.

I've been seriously considering getting Lasik done myself. I was wondering what's an average price?

I spent about 65,000 pesos in 2007, which is about 1500 dollars in today's exchange rates. It most likely costs more in the United States.

The prices I'm seeing range from about $750-$1000 per eye.

Some people around here go to Canada because it's cheaper. But I've seen those people drive and they can't even do that right; you think I'm going to trust my eyes to them? Uh-uh, no way.

Houde is close to correct. The left eye would become British and the right eye would become French and they would never get along.

Latest posts

Back