Last.fm

The TOG group wouldn't have any members!!

Why would you go on tirades against Facebook and Social Networking and then make such a big with Last.fm?:?
Not that I care enough to quibble over the differences between Last.fm and Facebook (or Comicspace and Myspace for that matter), but at least on Last.fm no one is superpoking you to death and trying to get you to join Top Friends, Best Friends and buy you drinks you can't really drink all the ****ing time.

Also, Last.fm recommends you music and stuff. And it's neat.

Last.fm isn't really a social networking site. The reason why I joined is to find new music.

If Last.fm was just making a webpage about yourself and then competing obsessively to make "friends", then it would be social networking.

I was already a member thanks to ourchair's suggestion, but I haven't been on for awhile. I'll join your group, I'm like 10 TOGs.

Last.fm isn't really a social networking site. The reason why I joined is to find new music.

If Last.fm was just making a webpage about yourself and then competing obsessively to make "friends", then it would be social networking.
The way I look at it is this: it's a music site, that has a social networking component rather than being a social networking site with a music-themed orientation.

Which is why the developers have done a good job of not adding any functions unrelated to the enjoyment of music. The social networking exists to enhance your engagement with music enjoyment, rather than to find someone new to date or swap cool links with.

I remade my account. Hopefully it won't be invaded by the Jonas Brothers this time.

Not that I care enough to quibble over the differences between Last.fm and Facebook (or Comicspace and Myspace for that matter), but at least on Last.fm no one is superpoking you to death and trying to get you to join Top Friends, Best Friends and buy you drinks you can't really drink all the ****ing time.

That's not Facebook, that's ******* Contacts.

Soooo not what facebook is. The "competing obsessively to fill your friends list" thing sounds like something Fox News would say about sites like that.

The way I look at it is this: it's a music site, that has a social networking component rather than being a social networking site with a music-themed orientation.

Which is why the developers have done a good job of not adding any functions unrelated to the enjoyment of music. The social networking exists to enhance your engagement with music enjoyment, rather than to find someone new to date or swap cool links with.

That's fair too, but the bottom line is that nobody forces you to add any application you don't want to on Facebook, and in terms of the music stuff on Last.fm I've yet to see any real features that Facebook or MySpace don't already have.

By all means use it, but when I see a thread about it from the same guy who boycotts facebook and says social networking is some kind of insane contest to add the most contacts I've got to say its more than a little hypocritcial.

Facebook is probably less of a competition than Last.fm is in terms of "obsessiviely adding the most music to your profile".

That's not Facebook, that's ******* Contacts.

Soooo not what facebook is. The "competing obsessively to fill your friends list" thing sounds like something Fox News would say about sites like that.

That's fair too, but the bottom line is that nobody forces you to add any application you don't want to on Facebook, and in terms of the music stuff on Last.fm I've yet to see any real features that Facebook or MySpace don't already have.

By all means use it, but when I see a thread about it from the same guy who boycotts facebook and says social networking is some kind of insane contest to add the most contacts I've got to say its more than a little hypocritcial.

Facebook is probably less of a competition than Last.fm is in terms of "obsessiviely adding the most music to your profile".
Tetchy.

I don't even hate Facebook.

Or use Last.fm all that heavily either.

I'm merely pointing out the mistaken perception of superfluitiousness of Last.fm to other 'social networking' sites.

The biggest irony of this statement is that Rupert Murdoch has owned MySpace for several years now. So I doubt whether Fox News would say anything that might seriously hurt the business interests of a service that shares its parent company. :p

In Last.FM's defense, I would say that it's not *primarily* about gathering playlists, and showing off what you listen to (which can be done using just about any other social networking sites).

What makes it distinct, for me, is the feature that measures your own music consumption, versus others' (both strangers' AND contacts'), to come up with lists of potential music recommendations (based on one's recent listening habits, AND overall patterns, from the time they sign up).

Plus, there's the prospect of observing the listening habits of people whose music tastes are similar to my own. (Which is part of the reason my own contact list has swelled so much, in the 2 1/2 years i've been a member.)

The fact that 80% of these folks with similar music tastes happen to be cute bespectacled indie rock girls with awesome hair is *totally* a fringe benefit :twisted:

But seriously now, I've "discovered" loads of bands and performers through Last.FM whom I might not have stumbled upon otherwise, because of the sheer breadth of possibilities alone (compared to relying on, say, music blogs or forums/message boards dedicated to particular type/genre of music to find out about new bands).

Last edited:
More of you taft-blasting folks should join.

Especially E, so he can imbalance the group stats by scrobbling Avril Lavigne over and over again and free us from the tyranny which Radiohead has upon the focused totality of Last.fm.

Latest posts

Back