Life on Mars series discussion *spoilers*

Bass

Nexus of the World
So, I just saw the last episode of this show.

It's one of the best shows I've ever seen.

The show is only 2 seasons of 8 episodes a piece (quite a bit for a British show) but there isn't a single bad episode.

The premise is this - a Manchester City detective, Sam Tyler, is in an accident - he's run down by a car.

And wakes up in 1973.

He hears voices and sounds that make it seem he's in a coma, but the world he's in is insanely detailed. Is he really back in 1973? Or in a coma? Or is he mad?

The show is a proper cop show. It's extremely well done, and works just as that, but the time travel element allows the show to generate even more levels of meaning into it.

The show is extremely capable of continually being surreal and bizarre enough, yet down-to-earth and realistic enough that you sincerely marriage each act in 1973 as a metaphor for Sam's condition in 2006 in a coma, but at no point go, "It's not real". You feel it's both. These characters are real, and they're figments of his imagination. This is a masterstroke because the show then becomes this; you get to a point where it doesn't matter if you think Sam is in a coma, but it's important what Sam thinks. Everything becomes symbolic without losing any palpability.

I'm not sure how the hell they did it, but did it they did.

As for the 'truth' of what's going on - it is revealed in the final episode of the second season, and the finale is so good that I have a proper lump in my throat and am listening to David Bowie's "Life on Mars" as I'm typing this. But not because of whether or not it's real, but because of what happens to Sam and the choices he makes. It's bittersweet - a painful joy.

The show is amazing. As a cop show, it works. As a surreal, symbolic "Twin Peaks" mystery show, it works. As a metaphor for death, it works. And as all three, it doesn't miss a beat.

One of the best shows I've ever seen.

yeah it realy is a great show that i need to pick up watching again because i missed so many episodes so i need to run through them all again

Yeah, it's really, really good. I can't find any flaws in it.

Life on Mars is also a really neat song.

I hope they show series 2 here soon.

EDIT: Whenever I get around to doing Law and Order: UC Season 2, I wanted to do an episode like this.

Last edited:
There is, to my mind, only one episode they should've done but didn't.

The episode where Gene Hunt (the "Guv", the guy in charge of the Manchester police in 1973) has an accident and wakes up in 2006 and Sam Tyler is his boss. :D

Sounds like a cool show. Hopefully a station here in the States picks it up. Like A&E did with MI-5 (I think it's called Spooks over there in the UK, though). I absolutely love that show.

There is, to my mind, only one episode they should've done but didn't.

The episode where Gene Hunt (the "Guv", the guy in charge of the Manchester police in 1973) has an accident and wakes up in 2006 and Sam Tyler is his boss. :D

That would be great if they did it as a special or something.

Have you heard about the spin off show with Guv? Sounds pretty neat.

And Baxter, I agree with you. I normally download an episode, see if it's any good, then download the whole series. Then I burn it to DVD to watch on my TV.

Apparently the US is getting their very own remake, just like The Office. The pilot episode is supposedly the same. Why do you Americans have to remake everything? Just show the British version and be done with it.

Apparently the US is getting their very own remake, just like The Office. The pilot episode is supposedly the same. Why do you Americans have to remake everything? Just show the British version and be done with it.

Because Americans hate British actors and humor, duh.

Because the British show is two seasons, eight episodes a piece.

That is not a season in the US.

Dr Who is being done in thirteen 42-minute episode seasons, which works fine since The Sopranos is thirteen episodes a season. Thirteen is apparently fine as a number. But 8 is far too little. So they need more episodes. So they remake the whole thing, and the charm of the show is gone.

I hate the US version of the Office. It's just ****ty.

If the US Life on Mars is HBO then it might be really good. But I doubt it.

Not only that, but I think if this show is going to get a 24-episode season, how long are they going to draw out the mystery of how he's in 1973?

I'd hope this show would be better than the UK one, simply because I'd be happier with more good shows than bad. But I doubt it. Life on Mars is a gem.

Because the British show is two seasons, eight episodes a piece.

That is not a season in the US.

Dr Who is being done in thirteen 42-minute episode seasons, which works fine since The Sopranos is thirteen episodes a season. Thirteen is apparently fine as a number. But 8 is far too little. So they need more episodes. So they remake the whole thing, and the charm of the show is gone.

I hate the US version of the Office. It's just ****ty.

If the US Life on Mars is HBO then it might be really good. But I doubt it.

Not only that, but I think if this show is going to get a 24-episode season, how long are they going to draw out the mystery of how he's in 1973?

I'd hope this show would be better than the UK one, simply because I'd be happier with more good shows than bad. But I doubt it. Life on Mars is a gem.

It'll be like when they remade Fawlty Towers with John Laroquette. Or as I like to call it The Horror.

Back