Live-Action Wonder Woman TV Series

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
Didn't see this posted but :

After years of trying to get DC's Amazonian Princess, Wonder Woman, to the big screen, there's now some serious movement to get her on the small one.

According to THR's The Live Feed, freakin' David E. Kelley (Ally McBeal, Boston Legal, The Practice) is developing the modern day reboot of the super-strong, scantily-clad comic book heroine for Warner Bros. Television! For years, the likes of Joss Whedon and Joel Silver have attempted to get a Wonder Woman movie off the ground, but it never worked out. So now it looks like the character is returning to the medium that brought her great fame in the 1970s, via the classic (albiet very cheesy) Lynda Carter series.

More here : http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/112/1124948p1.html

This could be pretty damn cool. And with his series been stuff like Boston Legal, I can see this been like Lois & Clark, By that I mean more focus on Diana than Wonder Woman.

Huh. If they used Rucka's run on the series (where she served as the Themyscyrian ambassador at the Washington DC embassy) as inspiration, I could see it working.

I just hope it's not like Lois & Clark.

Last edited:
How many good live action TV shows based on comic books have there been? Because I can think of a lot bad ones.

I agree that the Greg Rucka approach is probably the most sensible... And seeing as this is the guy who's written a lot of courtroom type drama, doing a series set in a fantastical embassy with superhero action elements is very plausible.

All in all I think this makes sense. Wonder Woman became a cultural icon because of her television series, and they can play on that legacy to really make it work. TV is often kinder to female-centered action series. If it's smart, and if it handles Diana with respect and really makes her an icon again, I can't see a problem.

Now hopefully they'll be aiming for the network tv crowd and not the CW crowd.

But generally, I am intrigued by this turn of events.

I think i would rather see this done as a girl-fronted action show. Dark Angel, Nikkita, Sarah Conner Chronicles, Wonder Woman.

I just hope it's not like Lois & Clark.

I hope it's like Lois & Clark in so far as they do show more emphasis on the human side of her character (like the recent animated movie did) and there's a lot of romantic comedy potential with Wonder Woman. I just hope they don't needlessly force Steve Trevor into having a huge role in it.

I think i would rather see this done as a girl-fronted action show. Dark Angel, Nikkita, Sarah Conner Chronicles, Wonder Woman.

Ech.... See, I don't think that plays to the character's strengths. If you make that kind of series, she's just another ass kicking female. And that's the problem she's been suffering through the DCU for decades. There's nothing to really distinguish her.

I hope it's like Lois & Clark in so far as they do show more emphasis on the human side of her character (like the recent animated movie did) and there's a lot of romantic comedy potential with Wonder Woman. I just hope they don't needlessly force Steve Trevor into having a huge role in it.

Men Are From America, Women Are From A Secret Island of Virginal Warriors? ;) I agree there's some great potential there, but I'd most like to see it used in moderation. That kind of thing could easily wear out its welcome.

But yeah. I think everyone can agree that it should be more character-driven, absolutely. I'd just prefer to leave out most of the mid-nineties hokiness of L&C. I honestly would love to see something that looks more towards Aaron Sorkin's programs for inspiration.

I'd pitch it something like this. Two years ago, a mysterious island appeared off the coast of the Eastern United States, mere miles from the nation's capital. Visible to the human eye but shielded from technology, the US government saw it as a clear and present threat. Sent to investigate, Steve Trevor and a team of marines returned with a small retinue of anachronistic warrior women and their dignitary "Princess Diana". The first few months were tense but now, a couple of years in, the US seems to be coming to terms with their new neighbors. Diana serves as the ambassador for the island nation of Themyscira at its very first embassy in the heart of Washington DC. But relationships are still tense. The United States is aggressively interested in the technology the Amazons possess, and have still not discounted the possibility that they might be a threat, but the Amazons insist on remaining neutral and are unwilling to give up technology that could tip the power balance in the outside world. Further complicating things is the US desire to prevent other nations from attaining that technology, as well as the danger raised by the fact that any attack on Themyscirian soil could just as well threaten US lives, mere miles away. Questions of sovereignty are raised by the island's proximity to US borders. Immigration issues are raised on both ends as the Amazons announce their island as a sanctuary for any women in need. Amazons are spilling off of the island from the desire to see "Man's World" while refugees from the US and farther afield are glutting their once idyllic island home. This new Wonder Woman is suddenly the world's biggest celebrity, adored in some circles and seen as a danger to traditional values in other sectors. And, of course, due to Paradise's Island's new location in the modern world, the odd and the mythical are now seeping their way into the present. I'd say throw in 60% political/intrigue ensemble, 20% character driven rom-dram-com, 20% action, and you have a pretty strong set-up for a series. Of course, the nature of the mythology means you can play to the appeal of the whole mysteries sub-genre popularized by Lost and Heroes and the Event, etc. while avoiding the pitfalls from that kind of series.

Last edited:
Do you guys think that they'll want to use the classic costume or the more recent one in JMS's series?

Oh, and I forgot to mention what I was going to post in the first place.

On Access Hollywood, the "anchors" briefly mentioned that Wonder Woman would be getting a series. Dude who was clearly in his thirties but with the haircut of a thirteen year old boy and wearing a vest with short sleeves sort of rolled his eyes and said how stupid it would be. Unless, of course, they made it "dark" like The Dark Knight. Chick agreed. "She needs to be gray".

They then brought up the poll concerning who should play Wonder Woman. Megan Fox leads at 31%.

:roll:

The one line summary for this show should be "Xena: Warrior Princess" meets "The West Wing". Seriously.

Oh, and I forgot to mention what I was going to post in the first place.

On Access Hollywood, the "anchors" briefly mentioned that Wonder Woman would be getting a series. Dude who was clearly in his thirties but with the haircut of a thirteen year old boy and wearing a vest with short sleeves sort of rolled his eyes and said how stupid it would be. Unless, of course, they made it "dark" like The Dark Knight. Chick agreed. "She needs to be gray".

They then brought up the poll concerning who should play Wonder Woman. Megan Fox leads at 31%.

:roll:

Why on EARTH would you watch Access Hollywood?

Last edited:
The one line summary for this show should be "Xena: Warrior Princess" meets "The West Wing". Seriously.

AGREE! Except replace Xena with something not quite so camp.

Dr. Strangefate said:
Why on EARTH would you watch Access Hollywood?

It was on, I was stopping in front of the TV for a smoke. I didn't want to surf.

Incidentally, the Situation's brother is going to be on Dancing with the Stars, along with, I believe, Sarah Palin's daughter.

But yeah. I think everyone can agree that it should be more character-driven, absolutely. I'd just prefer to leave out most of the mid-nineties hokiness of L&C.

I'm pretty sure Mole wasn't suggesting mid-nineties hokiness and I know I certainly wasn't. There's an awful lot of good in L&C in spite of the limitations of when it was made. And it is still pretty much the best superhero show ever when it comes to believable characters, especially in the first season.

But yeah...everything else.

AGREE! Except replace Xena with something not quite so camp.

Again though, there's an awful lot in the concept of Xena if not necessarily always the execution. I'm fairly certain they're not planning on doing a high-camp show, here.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Mole wasn't suggesting mid-nineties hokiness and I know I certainly wasn't. There's an awful lot of good in L&C in spite of the limitations of when it was made. And it is still pretty much the best superhero show ever when it comes to believable characters, especially in the first season.

But yeah...everything else.

Yeah. I even said
By that I mean more focus on Diana than Wonder Woman.

I just meant the focus on the identity not the hero. As that leads to more human and characters you can relate too. At least in my opinion. I'm not excepting a cheesy 90's show nor am I expecting it to be like the crap of modern like Smallville. I'm just hoping for a good show but a Wonder woman who is humanised enough that you care if she is hurt. You care about the surrounding cast.

Like I mentioned Lois & Clark. Ignoring the cheesy bits. I cared more for Clark and is surrounding cast like Perry and Lois than I have in any other superman show or movie. That's what I want from this. That level of making her more 3 dimensional (Not saying in comics she's not but animated she's too flat in my opinion but still fun. But a series needs more.)

Latest posts

Back