Live-Action Wonder Woman TV Series

Entertainment Weekly:
NBC has picked up the Wonder Woman pilot from David E. Kelley. Ironically, NBC was the final network to pass on bringing back the superhero over a week ago, but that was before the new regime was officially in place in light of the impending Comcast takeover. Robert Greenblatt is now spearheading primetime as chairman.

Kelley's take incorporated the superhero's signature lasso, cuffs, and plane in the script, and insiders said it was a serious, non-campy take on the DC Comics character.

I'm glad that Diana's finally getting some mainstream exposure but I don't know how she can sustain herself without being in the JLA.

Every story I've read involving Wonder Woman that's been worth anything has been her as the warrior of the League and I don't see this working without them just making it another rendition of Xena and having her fight a bunch of Greek Myths.

A break down of the Wonder Woman pilot script.

I think I threw up a little in my mouth.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02...ilot-script-dissected-without-major-spoilers/

When it comes to the characters, they have this to say:

There's a Myndi Mayer, herein portrayed as Diana's BFF.

There's a scene with comics character Etta Candy, a role that's pretty much written like a job offer to Melissa McCarthy.

Long ago, government man Steve Trevor crashed onto Wonder Woman's island and brought her back to New York, but now they've split up. She still loves him, though, and it's obvious that their relationship is going to be a focus.

Diana might not have an invisible jet (if she did, I didn't see it) but she has a whole rainbow's worth of over coloured aircraft.

She has the lasso, and those bracelets with which she deflects bullets.

Her nemesis is Veronica Cale, who in this continuity is an evil scientist and rival businesswoman with a secret, nefarious plan that you'll probably guess ahead of time.

In describing who it is that Wonder Woman is, which will define the tone of the show, they say:

Identifies with ET the Extra Terrestrial when his movie comes on TV.

Really loves planes. Like really.

Pines for Steve like Carrie for Big.

Wants to belong and be "among" people, not just "with" them.

Sings along to the radio in multiple scenes – but nothing with a hairbrush in front of the mirror just yet.

Doesn't like being "marketed, commercialized, merchandised", though she is – there's a joke about Wonder Woman tie-in dolls having their costumes redesigned that seems to reference the recent makeover for the comics.

When she's Diana Prince she's a mousey Miley Stewart, when she's Diana Themiscyra she's the Hanna Montana of businesswomen, and when she's Wonder Woman she's Wonder Woman – which is precisely twice in the whole episode.

Is a capitalist.

Puts on her PJs for an ice-cream filled sleepover with best friend Myndi.

Last edited:
She seems like a good choice but I still have no interest in this.

Maybe the script will get a major rewrite.

I don't know. It sounds like it doesn't necessarily have to be bad, just not something I'd like to see.

Maybe the script will get a major rewrite.

I don't know. It sounds like it doesn't necessarily have to be bad, just not something I'd like to see.

I don't doubt the idea of Wonder Woman can make a great show, but everything I've heard about it just sounds too awful to be true

I'm still excited for this. I have faith it'll be rewritten or reworked well. I'm still hoping it's like Lois & Clark. That had comedy , more focus on the secret identity ect.. It should be fun. Besides it can't be worse than Smallville.

I'm still excited for this. I have faith it'll be rewritten or reworked well. I'm still hoping it's like Lois & Clark. That had comedy , more focus on the secret identity ect.. It should be fun. Besides it can't be worse than Smallville.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA0KvjrsA0o"]Flash Gordon[/URL]? The Phantom? Nightman?!

Of course it can be worse than Smallville. Far worse.

Although yeah, when I heard about this initially, I did hope it would be along the lines of Lois & Clark. Unfortunately that had a rather excellent pilot and this show doesn't seem to have that at all.

Last edited:
Knowing that the Pilot is going to be lackluster, hopefully they pick up on some of the rampant pre-air criticism and make something special starting with episode #2.

I'm just hoping that the success of this series will spawn a ludicrous spin-off pilot.

I mean I thank Smallville everyday for making the Aquaman pilot possible. That's reward in itself.

Latest posts

Back