Luther Manning in the UU

http://www.blacksuperhero.com/exhibithtml/detail.cfm?id=336

Deathlok
(a.k.a. Deathlok the Demolisher)
First Appearance: Marvel Comics Presents #62 ()
Publisher:Marvel Comics

Michael Collins was the second character to wear the monicker of Deathlok. Unlike his predecessor he was of African-American descent. This Deathlok began as a pacifist working for a cybernetics corporation whose brain was transplanted into a robotic killing machine against his will. Although his brain was intended to only serve as a medium for the robot's programming, he was able to assert his will over it and had a short superheroic career.

UltimateE said:

Wow, that was a shot in the dark. I just totally pulled that out of my ***, I had no idea that was the actual name of the second Deathlok. For that matter I didn't even know there was a second one.

Also strange, from the bio it said the first Deathlok wasn't of African-American descent, yet his name was Luther Manning. The second was of African-American descent and was named Michael Collins, a decidedly Irish surname (and first name for that matter, though Michael is a common enough name). Maybe I'm stereotyping but it just sounds like it should have been the other way around. But then again, what the hell do I know?

DIrishB said:
Also strange, from the bio it said the first Deathlok wasn't of African-American descent, yet his name was Luther Manning. The second was of African-American descent and was named Michael Collins, a decidedly Irish surname (and first name for that matter, though Michael is a common enough name). Maybe I'm stereotyping but it just sounds like it should have been the other way around. But then again, what the hell do I know?

Yeah, I agree.

And there's no way that was coincidence. I'm not calling you a liar, just saying it had to be subconscious. ;)

UltimateE said:
Yeah, I agree.

And there's no way that was coincidence. I'm not calling you a liar, just saying it had to be subconscious. ;)

I'm telling you, I had no idea. I didn't even know anything about the character besides him being a zombie cyborg, never mind his (or their) real name(s). I only mentioned Michael Collins because he's a personal hero, it was totally random. I suppose its possible I had heard it somewhere before, so maybe it was a subconcious connection, but I honestly had no idea.

Wait, just went back and looked, and now I realize what happened. Doc Comic (who obviously knew about the two separate Deathlok's) mentioned it could have been Michael Collins instead of Manning, and commented on that. So it wasn't a subconcious thing, just a misunderstanding of what Doc was saying. So credit goes to Doc for the mention.

Ah-ha. Mystery solved.

I vaguely remembered the name from some OLD Marvel trading card things. Those cards from the early 90's (I think) which featured characters and power ratings...

Anyway...

UltimateE said:
Ah-ha. Mystery solved.

I vaguely remembered the name from some OLD Marvel trading card things. Those cards from the early 90's (I think) which featured characters and power ratings...

Anyway...

Anyway, I wonder if he was just a throw-away character in the title. That seems to be the case, but it would be interesting to see more of the character, assuming they take the right approach. Though at this point, with the aliens, Gah Lak Tus, some of the more hokey characters we've gotten in some of the titles, the Ultimate line is beginning to evolve into something much closer to 616 than it was when it started, so maybe that wouldn't prevent the character from making a return at some point.

Latest posts

Back