Mark Bagley looks back on Ultimate Spider-Man run with CBR

E

Excelsior Club
Over the years a number of artists have received acclaim for their rendering of Spider-Man; artists like Steve Ditko, John Romita Sr. and Jr. , Todd McFarlane, and for the past ten years. Mark Bagley. Bagley drew Spider-Man's adventures for almost five years before taking the art chores on Marvel Comics flagship title of their Ultimate line, "Ultimate Spider-Man" which launched in 2000.

To this day Bagley's collaboration with writer Brian Michael Bendis on "Ultimate Spider-Man" continues and with issue #103 (which hit stores on December 20 th ) the duo broke the record for the longest continual run by a creative team in Marvel history. But all good things must come to an end and Bagley recently announced he was leaving "Ultimate Spider-Man" with issue #110. CBR News spoke with Bagley for a look back at his time on the book.

Click here
for the story...

He's a good man. Easily my favorite artist in the business right now.

The art for #104 looks real good, by the way.

I agree, he's not the most talented in the world, but he's definitely one of the best. Consistent and strong, I've liked his stuff since New Warriors and now that he's set the record I think he's cemented his reputation.

Personally, I used to just feel "meh" about Bagley's art, but I saw so much of it that I'm really sick of it.

In one of the panels in 102, Tarantula has seven arms. I wish I were kidding.

On the other hand, I once amused myself by comparing the spider-bite scene in the first issue with the rehash of it in Hobgoblin. Peter looked pretty bad in the first issue, presumably because Bagley wasn't used to drawing him, but he looks hot in the newer style with glasses.

I used to like him quite a lot, especially when certain colourists were colouring his work, they gave his art a very dark and soothing feel. Legacy was a good one.

But he's been on for far too long. When you see an artist on one title for a multiple number of years, it gets boring. We've seen it before. We need something new.

I hope Immonen can change USM, but since Bendis is probably still doing the same thing, I doubt it.

But yeah, Bagley is quite good. But it's old now. He needs to do something new.

I like Bagleys art !!

I'm only halfway through "warriors" at the moment but I think that Bagley has been consistent in his high quality throughout the series and I'll miss his art when he goes !!

It won't be Ultimate Spider-man without him but I'll adjust !!

I like Bagleys art !!

I'm only halfway through "warriors" at the moment but I think that Bagley has been consistent in his high quality throughout the series and I'll miss his art when he goes !!

It won't be Ultimate Spider-man without him but I'll adjust !!

Stop awhile you're ahead.

ach come on it can't get that bad !!

Bagley has defined Ultimate Spider-man !!

And thats only because I detest Bendis for his continuity errors !!

Its a great comic series I've loved it !!

ach come on it can't get that bad !!

Bagley has defined Ultimate Spider-man !!

And thats only because I detest Bendis for his continuity errors !!

Its a great comic series I've loved it !!

No.

It can get that bad.

However, unlike other people on this board, I still enjoy the series even though I acknowledge it has had some truly awful plot twists. Just lower your standards and focus on the good stuff.

I always focus on the good stuff and thats why I say that Bagley has been great for Ultimate Spider-man !!

I'm sure other artists will take on the series perfectly but Bagley to me has been suited to this title !!

I liked Bagley on the title and he did define the run. Wait until Deadpool. Then the Clone Saga makes me want to die a painful death.

Though he will never admit it to his true feelings about it, I bet Bagley is glad he will be off USM. The guy at first never even wanted to draw USM because he was on Amazing for so long. He was offered USM 4 times before he took the job, which I wouldnt be surprised if at the end it was given to him with no choice or something. But hey, I'd get tired of drawing one character for like 4-5 years, too. Now imagine drawing him still, for another 7. I wouldnt be surprised if he never wanted to draw Spider-Man ever again.

Though he will never admit it to his true feelings about it, I bet Bagley is glad he will be off USM.

I totally agree. He's not a terribly excitable person anyway, but when you read him talk about it there is so little enthusiasm, it's like he is bored with it.

Though he will never admit it to his true feelings about it, I bet Bagley is glad he will be off USM. The guy at first never even wanted to draw USM because he was on Amazing for so long. He was offered USM 4 times before he took the job, which I wouldnt be surprised if at the end it was given to him with no choice or something. But hey, I'd get tired of drawing one character for like 4-5 years, too. Now imagine drawing him still, for another 7. I wouldnt be surprised if he never wanted to draw Spider-Man ever again.

I once had a chance to meet a guy who works in the industry. The guy said that Bagley was always being told by Bendis to draw a "kids exiting the school scene" and how things like that could be frustrating. He just mentioned that in passing, though, not "Bagley hates Bendis" or anything like that.

I totally agree. He's not a terribly excitable person anyway, but when you read him talk about it there is so little enthusiasm, it's like he is bored with it.
After almost 12 years drawing the same character over and over, who wouldn't be?

I once had a chance to meet a guy who works in the industry. The guy said that Bagley was always being told by Bendis to draw a "kids exiting the school scene" and how things like that could be frustrating. He just mentioned that in passing, though, not "Bagley hates Bendis" or anything like that.
Not surprising, really.

The art on this book hasn't been fantastic since Thibert left.

Still good though.
I agree.

I'm not Bagley's biggest fan, but I think he's far better than people give him credit for and I think the art has taken a turn for the worse ever since the coloring and the inker changed.

Latest posts

Back