Marvel Cinematic Universe News, Rumors, and Discussion

I just watched some stuff over at IGN and they outlined some of the details of the deal between Marvel & Sony

Marvel pays Sony $0 to use Spider-Man.
Sony gets $0 from Spider-Man's appearances in MCU movies.
Marvel gets $0 from Spider-Man's solo and spin-off movies.
Sony gets final say on casting for Spider-Man.
Kevin Feige is a contributing producer on the next Spider-Man movie but doesn't get the final say on anything and gets $0 compensation for his work on the film.
Marvel gets 100% of merchandizing profit from Spider-Man.

That seems like a pretty simple deal and really, a better deal for Sony than for Marvel. Marvel didn't need Spider-Man back, but they wanted him, Sony needed Marvel's help. So Marvel agreed to help Sony and include Spider-Man in their MCU basically for the merchandizing profits and the excitement of having Spidey back. I doubt the Avengers movies will make MORE money just because of Spider-Man (but maybe I'm wrong).

It's a deal that definitely works well for both studios. It can't be estimated at how much more money those films would bring in now that they're all one, cohesive universe, but Spidey's inclusion in the Avengers films will certainly bump their take up some... how much we don't know. And it'll most definitely bump the future Spidey films' box office up some as well, but again it's impossible to know by how much.

However, just the overall interest and anticipation alone shows its a decision that will almost definitely pay off financially, as well as creatively.

Hopefully Sony is smart and actually listen to Feige and utilize his input. He knows what he's doing, he's proven that. It only makes sense to follow his lead.

It does make me wonder what's holding up the deal with Fox. I know DoFP was more financially and critically successful than ASM2 was, and I'm sure that plays a big role. But what would be stopping Fox from making a similar deal with Marvel for X-Men and FF? Pride? Spite? They wouldn't lose money on the deal, would they? Make X-Men: Apocalypse as a final chapter in the story they've put together and then start working on a deal with Marvel. Do your Deadpool, Gambit, and Wolverine spin-offs, and then when there hasn't been a team X-Men movie for a while, do one as part of the MCU with the original 5 and Prof X and build from there. If FF is successful, fold it into the MCU, if it isn't wait a bit and reboot it again as part of the MCU. Why not? Hugh Jackman can't play Wolverine forever.

It basically is pride and spite, motivated by money. I mean, given this deal which costs Sony and Marvel Studios nothing and likely only stands to increase the interest in the films and their respective box office takes, it seems like a no-brainer for Fox to consider such a deal. But there's a lot of bad blood between Fox and Marvel, mainly due to Fox refusing to give up the rights to Silver Surfer and Galactus around 2012. That was when the rights to Daredevil ran out and Marvel pitched a deal to them that would let them keep Daredevil if Fox relinquished the rights to Silver Surfer and Galactus (indicating Marvel Studios had plans for those characters in some capacity for their future films, perhaps even as a part of Infinity War). Fox refused (keep in mind Fox still would've retained rights to the FF and X-Men film properties), and apparently feelings were hurt as a result... namely Ike Perlmutter's (Marvel's dominant shareholder), who is the driving force behind Marvel no longer publishing FF comics, and literally no more merchandise for X-Men and FF (which is shooting themselves in the foot since Marvel own the merchandise rights, but I guess it's a "cut off your nose to spite your face" thing).

It really is pretty interesting, in that salacious behind the scenes drama type of thing, much like the rights battle over Miracleman was throughout the 1990s and 2000s... a battle Marvel ultimately won.

You said Marvel gets no money off the Spider-Man film they're making. I don't believe that is the case.

Nope, Cap is correct. Sony will finance and distribute the new Spider-Man reboot film (and it'll be part of the MCU continuity), but Marvel doesn't share in the profits.

Marvel does still benefit nicely though since they get 100% of any related merchandise to that Spidey film.

Sony benefits by being able to essentially ride the MCU's coattail by integrating Spidey into the extremely popular MCU franchise.

It's actually a very revolutionary type of studio deal, and one which actually rests heavily on forward thinking (something Hollywood execs aren't really known for).

And the studios recognized that forgoing haggling and bickering and overcomplicated profit sharing deals wasn't necessary, as bringing Spidey into the MCU universe benefits both studios' bottom lines and most definitely pleases the fans.

Nope, Cap is correct. Sony will finance and distribute the new Spider-Man reboot film (and it'll be part of the MCU continuity), but Marvel doesn't share in the profits.

Marvel does still benefit nicely though since they get 100% of any related merchandise to that Spidey film.

Sony benefits by being able to essentially ride the MCU's coattail by integrating Spidey into the extremely popular MCU franchise.

It's actually a very revolutionary type of studio deal, and one which actually rests heavily on forward thinking (something Hollywood execs aren't really known for).

And the studios recognized that forgoing haggling and bickering and overcomplicated profit sharing deals wasn't necessary, as bringing Spidey into the MCU universe benefits both studios' bottom lines and most definitely pleases the fans.

This. Especially the last sentence.

Proj. said something that definitely needs to happen, now that it can happen.

SPIDER-MAN VS HULK!!!

We got a fan-pleasing Hulk vs Thor (short yeah, but we still got it), so now it must happen with them two!!

Proj. said something that definitely needs to happen, now that it can happen.

SPIDER-MAN VS HULK!!!

We got a fan-pleasing Hulk vs Thor (short yeah, but we still got it), so now it must happen with them two!!

I feel like if Hulk hit Spidey like he hit Thor, he would be a quadriplegic for the rest of his life.

I'm just thinking about how absolutely massive the MCU has become/is becoming.

What's impressive to me is that they are doing a good job with integration. They're being careful about it and even though it's expansive they aren't overdoing it.

Unfortunately the same held true for the Ultimate line at one point.

What's impressive to me is that they are doing a good job with integration. They're being careful about it and even though it's expansive they aren't overdoing it.

Unfortunately the same held true for the Ultimate line at one point.

See, that's my one fear regarding the MCU. Since its inception it's had Feige as its guiding hand, and he's done a fantastic job overall. I truly am not looking forward to the day he retires and hands the reins to someone else.

The latest Axel-In-Charge revealed that Marvel's Ant-Man - Scott Lang: Small Time Infinite Comic is to be released on March 3rd.

Figured it would be canon (since Pilgrim wrote it), but it's good to have confirmation.

It's so nice we now have what seems to be a single writer for the comics. Three comics every film too whether it be an adaptation or a Prelude. I wonder if this is how they'll be doing origin stories now since they won't be in the films.

It's so nice we now have what seems to be a single writer for the comics. Three comics every film too whether it be an adaptation or a Prelude. I wonder if this is how they'll be doing origin stories now since they won't be in the films.

Yeah, a single writer in charge of them all will certainly at least make keeping track of the continuity and canon comics easier.

So the upcoming return episode of AoS's synopsis got me thinking:

After discovering an alien city with ties to his resurrection, Coulson and his team destroyed it before the forces of Hydra could claim its secrets, eliminating the villainous Whitehall (Reed Diamond) in the process. But new threats to the world have arisen, including Skye's father, Cal (Kyle McLachlan), who now seeks retribution against Coulson for stealing his revenge against Whitehall; a disturbing alliance between former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Ward (Brett Dalton) and Agent 33; the enigmatic Raina (Ruth Negga), who struggles with her transformation into something inhuman by the alien Obelisk and seeks vengeance; and Skye (Chloe Bennet), who developed mysterious new powers from the Obelisk but whose lack of experience with her new abilities may threaten the safety of those she loves.

Meanwhile, Bobbi (Adrianne Palicki) and Mack (Henry Simmons) begin the next phase of a plan which seems to have grave repercussions for Coulson and his team, who are unaware that there's another mysterious force moving against them. And as Hunter (Nick Blood) is forced to make the biggest choice of his life, Coulson will find his mission threatened by this shocking endgame. In the midseason premiere, "Epidemic," Coulson's team must deal with the consequences of their war with Hydra as shocking revelations threaten to tear them apart, and Hydra makes a dangerous move that may involve a traitor in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s midst.

Wonder what that's about? Especially in regards to Captain America - Civil War. Could that "mysterious force" possibly be Maria Hill? Could this be a long term set-up for repercussions in Civil War? Could Skye/Daisy's and Coulson's Inhuman influence (and powers in Daisy's case) cause Hill to wonder if Coulson can be trusted to run SHIELD? I could definitely see that causing tension and even outright conflict. Maybe not, but it'll be interesting to see how and what effect Civil War has on the show. Civil War would also be a good choice to reveal to Cap that Coulson is alive, and utilize Coulson, Daisy/Skye and the loyal members of his team (May) to support Cap (not big roles, just an appearance by Coulson, a few lines to explain to Cap how he's alive, maybe humorously), and essentially just cameos for the others, as the film will undoubtedly be quite crowded already with Cap, his supporting cast, Tony Stark, presumably Black Panther and Spidey, etc.

But the film will almost certainly have some level of "big throw down", and Cap will likely have Falcon, maybe Black Widow (assuming Scarlett stars in the film), Bucky/Winter Soldier, perhaps Nick Fury, Black Panther, and hopefully at least some of the AoS team (Coulson, Skye, May) versus Iron Man, War Machine, perhaps Maria Hill and maybe Spider-Man... and for sure a bunch of Iron Man drones. It would be crowded, but many of those characters would just be cameos: Fury, Black Panther, the AoS team, War Machine, Maria Hill, Spidey would all be small roles/cameos depending on the character and their importance to the plot... some would likely be more of a supporting role.

It would be the best way of bringing the AoS cast to the films in a small and perfectly serviceable way, and would make complete sense for the plot and characters (I doubt Coulson would sit on the sidelines with Cap in trouble and him and his team able to help... even if it means going up against Tony Stark and his allies).

Still at least a year away and necessitates AoS getting a third season, though with the improvements made in the first half of Season 2 and the hype around its return, I think that's pretty likely. Really glad they fixed the problems of Season 1 (mainly large swaths of uninteresting writing and characters no one really cares about because they were made up for the show and had no connection to the comics)... now they're pretty regularly introducing characters from the comics: Skye was revealed to be Quake/Daisy, Cal is Mr. Hyde, Creel/Absorbing Man showed up, Bobbi Morse/Mockingbird is a regular cast member now, Raina might be the Raina from the comics (who was a mutant I believe) but with the MCU twist that now has her as an Inhuman, etc. Critics certainly can't blame the show for having no "super powered" characters from the comics any longer, and the writing has improved quite a bit.

The show has definitely become worth watching, and it'll be interesting to see how they tie it into the upcoming films:

Avengers - Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Captain America - Civil War

...and so on. Most definitely will be interesting to see it Skye/Daisy, Coulson, Raina, and anyone else affected by the Kree blood will play roles in the eventual Inhumans film alongside the comics characters like Black Bolt, Medusa, etc.

But the film will almost certainly have some level of "big throw down", and Cap will likely have Falcon, maybe Black Widow (assuming Scarlett stars in the film), Bucky/Winter Soldier, perhaps Nick Fury, Black Panther, and hopefully at least some of the AoS team (Coulson, Skye, May) versus Iron Man, War Machine, perhaps Maria Hill and maybe Spider-Man... and for sure a bunch of Iron Man drones. It would be crowded, but many of those characters would just be cameos: Fury, Black Panther, the AoS team, War Machine, Maria Hill, Spidey would all be small roles/cameos depending on the character and their importance to the plot... some would likely be more of a supporting role.

Yes, Black Widow is confirmed for Civil War. The article also speculates on Hawkeye, but I don't what that's based on.

James Gunn's brilliant response to the flak thrown at superhero films at the Oscars (and in general) from the pretentious filmmaking crowd:

James Gunn said:
I didn't really find the Jack Black superhero jokes offensive, did you guys? It was, like, a joke. I'm not sure if you guys noticed, but the writing on the Oscars didn't seem to be all that well thought out.

As far as Dan Gilroy saying that attendees of the Independent Spirit Awards have survived against a "tsunami of superhero films" - well it seems a bit weird coming from a guy whose wife has acted in two Thor films - really, that seems like you've drowned horribly in that tsunami. But I know I just kind of make up stuff as I go along on these awards shows, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Whatever the case, the truth is, popular fare in any medium has always been snubbed by the self-appointed elite. I've already won more awards than I ever expected for Guardians. What bothers me slightly is that many people assume because you make big films that you put less love, care, and thought into them then people do who make independent films or who make what are considered more serious Hollywood films.

I've made B-movies, independent films, children's movies, horror films, and gigantic spectacles. I find there are plenty of people everywhere making movies for a buck or to feed their own vanity. And then there are people who do what they do because they love story-telling, they love cinema, and they want to add back to the world some of the same magic they've taken from the works of others. In all honesty, I do no find a strikingly different percentage of those with integrity and those without working within any of these fields of film.

If you think people who make superhero movies are dumb, come out and say we're dumb. But if you, as an independent filmmaker or a "serious" filmmaker, think you put more love into your characters than the Russo Brothers do Captain America, or Joss Whedon does the Hulk, or I do a talking raccoon, you are simply mistaken.

9df.gif

Latest posts

Back