Marvel Cinematic Universe News, Rumors, and Discussion

First look at Asa Butterfield as Peter Parker:

11377205_10153220714996858_6092624445983777026_n.jpg

Ant-Man has been running around trying to help in every marvel movie, but he is stuck in Ant mode so no one can see him.

So... how do other small things breathe? Does he shrink to microscopic?

I get the idea that when you shrink, the air in your lungs might pop your lungs as they get smaller (kind of like with scuba diving) but other than that, I don't really get what they're saying. Also, the trailer clearly showed him controlling the ants, so the helmet must do that too.

So... how do other small things breathe? Does he shrink to microscopic?

I get the idea that when you shrink, the air in your lungs might pop your lungs as they get smaller (kind of like with scuba diving) but other than that, I don't really get what they're saying. Also, the trailer clearly showed him controlling the ants, so the helmet must do that too.

The idea is smaller life forms are evolutionarily built to already absorb oxygen molecules that are comparatively bigger (size-wise) than a human's lungs.

You're right about the lungs popping if filled with air while he's shrinking, but I'm assuming that even once he shrank, were to take his helmet off and try to breathe while small, he wouldn't be able to, as the oxygen/nitrogen molecules would be too large for the capillaries/lung cilia to absorb them, I assume.

It's sort of like, scientifically speaking, if there were a real life Giant Man, he'd pass out after a few minutes due to oxygen deprivation because he wouldn't be able to absorb enough oxygen to support his size. The oxygen levels are too low for such larger life forms (but back in the days of dinosaurs and dragonflies the size of flamingos, large life forms like that were possible due to the higher oxygen levels in the air during those time periods). Even with the increased surface area of his lungs, it likely wouldn't be capable of oxygenating his body enough with the present levels of oxygen in the air.

yeah, I guess that makes sense. Smaller life forms don't have human lungs, but when he shrinks, he'll still have human lungs, just smaller. Gotcha.

yeah, I guess that makes sense. Smaller life forms don't have human lungs, but when he shrinks, he'll still have human lungs, just smaller. Gotcha.

Put simply, yup. It may not hold up to actual science, though, as I don't think his shrinking to the size of an ant would preclude his human lungs from absorbing oxygen molecules. It's not like he's shrinking to the size of an atom or molecule itself. I don't know.

I can accept it as a soft sci-fi approach.

Also, some audition videos for Daredevil Season 2 leaked online, with two actresses reading for presumably Elektra. With the Melvin Potter plot threads suggested by Season 1's ending, and the rumors of possibly also seeing Bullseye this season, in addition to the amazing quality of Season 1, well... I'm excited.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually bugs of the small variety absorb air throughout their abdomens, I forget what the structure is called, but they don't need as near as much air as mammals and birds do.

I akin it to diving. When you dive to a certain depth, you need to come up slowly, or the pressure of the nitrogen in your blood will give you a case of the bends, which is just as bad as it sounds.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/marvel-agents-of-shield-spinoff-dead-abc-1201422761/

It's probably for the best, what with Marvel TV already producing four shows at once, but man, I had started to get my hopes up.

We know. They announced it three weeks ago. ;)

Actually bugs of the small variety absorb air throughout their abdomens, I forget what the structure is called, but they don't need as near as much air as mammals and birds do.

Presumably because of their much smaller body sizes, right (thus requiring much less in nutrients and oxygen compared to a human, dog, or even small mammal like a rat)?

I akin it to diving. When you dive to a certain depth, you need to come up slowly, or the pressure of the nitrogen in your blood will give you a case of the bends, which is just as bad as it sounds.

But shrinking doesn't affect the pressure of the air around you like diving does (water around you in that case), does it?

Have to say I'm kinda glad. I really wasn't looking forward to a Bobbi/Hunter show. I like the characters as part of AoS, but I just don't care enough about them to be interested in a spinoff.

It would've been the definition of repetitive to create an additional show focusing on SHIELD agents (but only two so without the possible benefits of an ensemble cast). I suppose they'd have their own additional cast members, but again, that would've literally created a show almost exactly like the existing AoS.

I'd much rather they focus on shows that adapt known Marvel super hero characters (like the Netflix shows are doing). I realize those require a larger budget and less episodes to pull off the special effects required, but I'm ok with that.

Also, some audition videos for Daredevil Season 2 leaked online, with two actresses reading for presumably Elektra. With the Melvin Potter plot threads suggested by Season 1's ending, and the rumors of possibly also seeing Bullseye this season, in addition to the amazing quality of Season 1, well... I'm excited.

Cool.

I don't see what the payoff is for that.

The payoff? I don't know, confirming Star Lord possesses the DNA of an Elder of the universe seems pretty interesting and important (it also explains how he survived in the open vacuum of space without a helmet on). I would assume they used the first movie to introduce the Collector character (or expand on him a tad after his intro in the Thor-TDW mid credit scene), and in the second film, which Collector will be in, they can build on that before revealing it towards the end.

I guess I don't see any real difference between the Collector or some other being (Elder/Celestial/???) being his father. I'm not saying I think it's the case, only that I trust in Gunn to make it at least interesting and fun, with a degree of tongue in cheek humor.

The mystery aspect of who Star Lord's father is also prevents developing any real emotional impact or attachment for the audience before that reveal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back