Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

I'm about to watch Moon Knight for the first time. I'm currently placing it in 2024 due to the moon phases lining up. Does this forum agree more with '24 or '25 for this series?
IIRC its 2025 because there was some shared assumption that 'needed' to be close to Thor 4 because of the God theme. The movie never once referenced Moon Knight. Just like the other stuff never reference the Earth's sky spinning.

Oh there's an island sized Celestial sticking out of the middle of the Pacific Ocean?
Just another day in the Marvel Universe.

I'm about to watch Moon Knight for the first time. I'm currently placing it in 2024 due to the moon phases lining up. Does this forum agree more with '24 or '25 for this series?
I personally go with 2025. There's nothing in the show that flat out says it's 2024 and I prefer to not contradict the Disney + timeline unless absolutely necessary (Shang-Chi featuring the Qingming Festival, Eternals saying Thanos snap happened "5 Years Ago"). I think while the creator may have wanted to use the moon phases, even they said the placement could change, and I think as far as Marvel Studios is concerned, the show is Spring 2025. I'm also of the belief that unless otherwise stated (like the Disney + MoM placement) 2022 productions are set in 2025. BEJT on the Marvel wiki timeline also feels like a 2025 placement makes more sense.

For my personal timeline I'm going with 2024 as I do my best to go off of what's presented within the series to place projects and I find that the lunar phases is the best evidence there. That being said a 2025 placement is totally justifiable so go with whatever you feel makes the most sense.

IIRC its 2025 because there was some shared assumption that 'needed' to be close to Thor 4 because of the God theme. The movie never once referenced Moon Knight. Just like the other stuff never reference the Earth's sky spinning.

Oh there's an island sized Celestial sticking out of the middle of the Pacific Ocean?
Just another day in the Marvel Universe.
Lol fr tho it's 2024 cause if the lunar phases hinting at the series originally being planned to take place there. It's 2025 cause the series was originally going to be connecting to Love and Thunder. Neither seem fully realized and aren't great for placing solely based on them, that being said I go with 2024 as unlike the unused Love and Thunder connections the lunar phases are still presented and remain consistent throughout the series both in episode and during credits

I firmly believe in a late April to mid may 2025 timeframe from small timeline details in the series like the museum banner and unless it contradicts the Disney+ timeline like Shang-chi, Eternals and Thor the dark world does I usually use it as a good starting point to map out how long a series or film goes for and if it overlaps with anything else (ATM I'm expecting a big overlap between moon knight and Thor love and thunder because MK happens late April to around mid may 2025 and T:LaT happens Early May 2025 but because we don't know when moon knight begins we can only guess where the overlap is)

Marvel Studios Has Hired an Official MCU Timeline Keeper (Exclusive)

Wouldn't be surprised if the Disney+ timeline is based on this. Another reason I believe it should be followed as much as possible. I am starting to think that like Moon Knight, Eternals had a specific time frame it was set hence the "5 Years Ago" and GRC Welcome Back banner, however after the movie got delayed. Marvel Studios pushed it further into the timeline and they believe the movie to be around Fall 2024.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Disney+ timeline is based on this. Another reason I believe it should be followed as much as possible. I am starting to think that like Moon Knight, Eternals had a specific time frame it was set hence the "5 Years Ago" and GRC Welcome Back banner, however after the movie got delayed. Marvel Studios pushed it further into the timeline and they believe the movie to be around Fall 2024.
Shoulda hired us ‍♀️

They can be as "official" as they want, but that Disney+ timeline is still wrong, lol.

I'm not sure if there is an exact date when Thor left Earth, but he wasn't around in 2016. So he would have to have left by then. The only date that works IMO is 2024. Which would also lead you to MK being in 2024 too with the moon phases and
there only being 5 gods dealing with everything in the show instead of the 9 established in the Ennead.

They can be as "official" as they want, but that Disney+ timeline is still wrong, lol.
I may not agree with everything on it, but I feel like it's the closest thing to official we got and it is most likely a representation of how Marvel Studios sees the timeline, even if the evidence in certain properties contradicts it. Like I've said I believe it can and should be followed as long as there isn't any contradiction. To me, the "moon phases" aren't on the same level as Eternals referring to "5 Years Ago" and Shang-Chi featuring the Qingming Festival. Moon phases aren't considered in any other MCU property and there are plenty of examples where the moon doesn't match our world. Even if the original intent was for Moon Knight to be set in 2024, it's clear Marvel Studios doesn't see it that way now.

I'll stick with this forum. I think we think far more critically than Disney personally.
Of course I take input here, but if I personally don't see anything wrong with where Disney + places something (like Moon Knight) I'll follow it.

Of course I take input here, but if I personally don't see anything wrong with where Disney + places something (like Moon Knight) I'll follow it.
See I'm satisfied with the Moon Phases placing it in 24 until further info contradicts this.

See I'm satisfied with the Moon Phases placing it in 24 until further info contradicts this.
I just feel like 2024, especially that portion of it is already crowded (Shang-Chi, TF&TWS, FFH). Personally, Moon Knight fits better where Disney + has placed it. I just can't go with the moon phases, even if it was the original intent. Especially since the MCU is already full of days not matching their moon phases. Plus I prefer to not contradict Disney + as much as possible. I think it's clear Marvel wants the show in 2025, the same way I believe they want MoM in 2024. Hawkeye is pretty set in the timeline, and I think it says something putting content directly before and after it.

I just feel like 2024, especially that portion of it is already crowded (Shang-Chi, TF&TWS, FFH). Personally, Moon Knight fits better where Disney + has placed it. I just can't go with the moon phases, even if it was the original intent. Especially since the MCU is already full of days not matching their moon phases. Plus I prefer to not contradict Disney + as much as possible. I think it's clear Marvel wants the show in 2025, the same way I believe they want MoM in 2024. Hawkeye is pretty set in the timeline, and I think it says something putting content directly before and after it.
The problem I see with your responses to the moon phases is that they were meant to be seen. They are very prominent in the credits and in the show. No other Marvel project has had an emphasis on the moon like Moon Knight has. It just makes too much sense to use the moon as a placement tool. And it's not like it's close. The moon phases are PERFECTLY in line with the in-show time Passage of late spring 2024. Which lines up with the banner on the library. Literally perfectly.
So it's not just a wild theory that the moon lines up perfectly, it has in-show evidence to support it.

I also notice that you keep using crowdedness as a rebuttle as well. I think that using that as an excuse to not place things is the MOST inconsistent evidence. Things happen. Important things. And a lot of times at the same time as other important things. I really don't think that being crowded is ever a valid reason not to place something somewhere. I'd much prefer an accurate, evidence based timeline than a clean, pretty one

The problem I see with your responses to the moon phases is that they were meant to be seen. They are very prominent in the credits and in the show. No other Marvel project has had an emphasis on the moon like Moon Knight has. It just makes too much sense to use the moon as a placement tool. And it's not like it's close. The moon phases are PERFECTLY in line with the in-show time Passage of late spring 2024. Which lines up with the banner on the library. Literally perfectly.
So it's not just a wild theory that the moon lines up perfectly, it has in-show evidence to support it.

I also notice that you keep using crowdedness as a rebuttle as well. I think that using that as an excuse to not place things is the MOST inconsistent evidence. Things happen. Important things. And a lot of times at the same time as other important things. I really don't think that being crowded is ever a valid reason not to place something somewhere. I'd much prefer an accurate, evidence based timeline than a clean, pretty one
Agree to disagree. BEJT from the wiki timeline does a great job explaining why a 2025 placement fits here: https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fan...e_Discussion_II:_Part_7_(July-September_2022) (towards the bottom).

And I'm not saying the show didn't use the phases or that they went in wanting it to be set in 2024. I'm saying that was later ignored. Diab even said "We had a date. We had a year. But the Marvel show is so complex. I am just not going to say [anything] because it doesn't matter now." Hopefully, not that we're out of COVID delays, the movies and shows aren't as vague on their placements.

Last edited:
We'll know very soon, but I'd be willing to bet you that D+ will put Thor LAT right before Moon Knight, which IMO doesn't work in 2025. Like I said, Thor was off world by April 2016, or by the time Civil War was going on. So that means the 8 years ago sentence has to land his departure before that date. If we put the film in say July 2025, that would put that sentence at December 2016...when he was already off world. So putting the film in July 2024 would put that sentence in December 2015 which actually works for what was going on.

And as much as I like to read about the filmmakers saying this happens here or there, I will take what is in the final product as priority because that's what they agreed to show us at the end of the day. Like Dallas, I'll change my tune if future projects contradict things or re-establish their place in the timeline, but simply 'because its there' on D+ is not good enough for me especially when there are STILL errors already on there. AOS alone would make their Phase 2 section incorrect. So either they don't consider AOS canon, or its wrong, and if its wrong, then other things CAN be wrong too.

We debate these things here because, we love doing it, but also because it's free of their oversight especially when we can point to things and say this or that is correct they are wrong.

As for the crowded 2024...look at the slate coming up in Phase 5/6. Phase 5 is just over 1 year long and it has TWELVE projects in it. Phase 6 is barely there, but you can bet it'll be just as big too. Everything going forward is going to be crowded. There's just too many things going on. I'd much prefer that to having barely anything happening in some of the past years.

We'll know very soon, but I'd be willing to bet you that D+ will put Thor LAT right before Moon Knight, which IMO doesn't work in 2025. Like I said, Thor was off world by April 2016, or by the time Civil War was going on. So that means the 8 years ago sentence has to land his departure before that date. If we put the film in say July 2025, that would put that sentence at December 2016...when he was already off world. So putting the film in July 2024 would put that sentence in December 2015 which actually works for what was going on.

And as much as I like to read about the filmmakers saying this happens here or there, I will take what is in the final product as priority because that's what they agreed to show us at the end of the day. Like Dallas, I'll change my tune if future projects contradict things or re-establish their place in the timeline, but simply 'because its there' on D+ is not good enough for me especially when there are STILL errors already on there. AOS alone would make their Phase 2 section incorrect. So either they don't consider AOS canon, or its wrong, and if its wrong, then other things CAN be wrong too.

We debate these things here because, we love doing it, but also because it's free of their oversight especially when we can point to things and say this or that is correct they are wrong.

As for the crowded 2024...look at the slate coming up in Phase 5/6. Phase 5 is just over 1 year long and it has TWELVE projects in it. Phase 6 is barely there, but you can bet it'll be just as big too. Everything going forward is going to be crowded. There's just too many things going on. I'd much prefer that to having barely anything happening in some of the past years.
Marvel Television isn't included in their Phases because even if they're canon, they aren't an official part of the Phases. We'll see about Love & Thunder, they may still put it in 2024. But I feel like the movie implied that Thor came back and forth between Age of Ultron and his and Jane's breakup (he could still be off-world during Civil War). As long as the 8 Years, 7 Months, and 6 Days are before Ragnarok in November 2017, I think a 2025 placement could be worked around if necessary.

And while Phase 5 may be just over a year long, that doesn't mean it will be in universe. If the Disney + timeline placed Moon Knight around those events in 2024, I'd accept it. But, as is I personally feel like 2025 works better. Like I said agree to disagree.

Marvel Television isn't included in their Phases because even if they're canon, they aren't an official part of the Phases. We'll see about Love & Thunder, they may still put it in 2024. But I feel like the movie implied that Thor came back and forth between Age of Ultron and his and Jane's breakup (he could still be off-world during Civil War). As long as the 8 Years, 7 Months, and 6 Days are before Ragnarok in November 2017, I think a 2025 placement could be worked around if necessary.

And while Phase 5 may be just over a year long, that doesn't mean it will be in universe. If the Disney + timeline placed Moon Knight around those events in 2024, I'd accept it. But, as is I personally feel like 2025 works better. Like I said agree to disagree.
Ok sorry, but I'm going to move on from this debate. We're supposed to be nailing things down here, and this debate is going in circles. I just finished rewatching Phase 4 and I disagree with both you and D+. But, 'you' seem to want D+ to be right except when 'you' also think that it isn't. You are championing this direction on this particular topic and I'm yielding. I have nothing else to add here.

Ok sorry, but I'm going to move on from this debate. We're supposed to be nailing things down here, and this debate is going in circles. I just finished rewatching Phase 4 and I disagree with both you and D+. But, 'you' seem to want D+ to be right except when 'you' also think that it isn't. You are championing this direction on this particular topic and I'm yielding. I have nothing else to add here.
I'm not meaning to come off in a derogatory way. Just stating my opinion on the subject and where I personally come from. Like I said, hopefully as COVID delays are in the past, the timeline isn't as vague and placements are more clear. And when it comes to Disney+ I believe it should be followed unless there's concrete evidence that says otherwise (for example, right now there isn't anything that contradicts where they've placed She-Hulk). If you don't feel that way, it's perfectly fine. Like I said, agree to disagree.

Latest posts

Back