Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

All of these alternate universe theories to justify is stupid. It is getting on my nerves. No meant to offend anyone, but we don't have to look for excuses.

However, trying to use my head-canon xD (I know this may sound a bit hypocrite) but read my comments in here: https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/f/p/3300297438920833236

It is all still connected. We have to understand that Marvel TV is no longer best friend with Marvel Studios and they did not authorize them to reference the Snap. Despite being in the same universe, the Snap is a plot that should affect Runaways and the other shows in a big way, but when all your characters will not have effect on that storyline... You cannot just disappear half of your cast or 80% of it. That is now how storytelling works in any media.

We should appreciate the MCU how it is, and if so, be thankful that now Feige is fixing this "hole" between the TV series and now letting them be part of the major storyline and let's hope they will bring the characters introduced in the MCU by Marvel Television.

All of these alternate universe theories to justify is stupid. It is getting on my nerves. No meant to offend anyone, but we don't have to look for excuses.

However, trying to use my head-canon xD (I know this may sound a bit hypocrite) but read my comments in here: https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/f/p/3300297438920833236

It is all still connected. We have to understand that Marvel TV is no longer best friend with Marvel Studios and they did not authorize them to reference the Snap. Despite being in the same universe, the Snap is a plot that should affect Runaways and the other shows in a big way, but when all your characters will not have effect on that storyline... You cannot just disappear half of your cast or 80% of it. That is now how storytelling works in any media.

We should appreciate the MCU how it is, and if so, be thankful that now Feige is fixing this "hole" between the TV series and now letting them be part of the major storyline and let's hope they will bring the characters introduced in the MCU by Marvel Television.
At least it's only half a season. I just wish that in episode 6 they could have had an off hand comment by one character that another brushed away, with everyone looking very sad for a brief shot.

@A13G10

So what you're saying is that
the future Runaways found a way to time travel directly; similar to Cable and David Haller. But instead of doing it through the Quantum Realm which creates branches, this didn't?

Marvelus
SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN SEASON 3 OF RUNAWAYS - SORRY BEJT

Seeing Episode 6 carefully, there is wiggle room to be post Snap though (unlike JJ Season 3), this is the speculation type that will remain off pages - of course - but a little fun to speculate, right?
In Episode 6, up to minute 8, when they go out to find out what has happened this is like Late August 2018, 3 months after the Snap. Apparently the Wizard phones made by Morgan le Fay kind of confirms they control people, they are like a distraction, nice way to get distracted after half population is dead, right? They are all distracted and do not have to mention anything to the Runaways.
Aside from all the thing of Jonah and the Gibborim, Leslie Dean says in minute 11 to Karolian that RECENT events have shown her that in the Universe there is a lot of stuff they do not understand and there is nothing wrong in seeking answers for them. The guy Max who falls in love with Gert says that the phones are for all people in Los Angeles, especially kids who are homeless or parentsless, maybe the Snap?
Why didn't the Runaways and some PRIDE members disappear while trapped in the Dark Dimension? Well, there is this theory that Thanos needed the 6 stones because each of them had a purpose in wiping out the Universe, there is no time in the Dark Dimension, thus that might have just protected them.
---------
I think there is enough wiggle room, but that is just me. Also, you can't just disappear half of your cast due to a plot that will not affect at all your storyline and they will not be part of that storyline (SNAP). It is kind of tricky.

I would rather just headcanon some time travel/alternate dimension type excuse to explain why we haven't seen the snap. These seasons were obviously made with the intention of being pre-snap even if evidence within the shows say otherwise. I personally can't accept that what we're seeing is a post-snap world. Especially given that only a few months have passed by the time the 6 month time jump happens in Runaways. Even if you want to go for the "phone is distracting people" theory, LA itself still seems normal and even people without the phones seem perfectly fine. I think it's more forced to just act like the snap happened off-screen with no confirmation or any proof that it has in fact happened. But to each their own.
It's a shame that Marvel Studios and Marvel Television were so divided that they couldn't even be on the same page in maintaining continuity.

I am not bothered by it. We just have to accept the MCU the way it is. We just cannot force it. Also, as I said Marvel TV has it hard. As their characters will not be involved in the reversal of the Snap. It is tricky and complicated.

What I like about the alternate timeline theory is that it works within some of the stated rules of the MCU: you time travel, you create an alternate timeline. Both Runaways and Agents of SHIELD have involved time travel, and these are the only shows that have shown futures without any fallout from the snap at all. So assuming that they are in alternate timelines is a much simpler assumption than trying to bend over backwards to explain why no one has been affected by the snap. It also reflects the reality that the Marvel Studios stuff does not and probably will never acknowledge either of these shows going forward, and the plotlines of these shows were developed completely independently from Endgame forward.

If they decide to use these characters again (acknowledging their previous seasons), they would only present them. Ignoring wether they created an alternate timeline (because they did not). And that is pretty much an assumption, and like ProBot said, they would have acknowledged it.

The time travel in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S5 kind of confirms the Endgame one, they are within a loop, and the multiverse theory plays when Coulson decides to give Quake the serum. Afterwards a new timeline is created, which is the MCU timeline. The MCU reality has always been the new timeline, where Earth getting destroyed never happened. Otherwise, canonically, the MCU reality would be heading into the destructionnof Earth at some point... There is no other way around. No alternate timelines for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Or, the return of the agents from the future resulted in the main MCU timeline where the Snap happened, and the emergence if the duplicate Coulson in the past was what created the alternate timeline we see in Season 6, where the Snap clearly hasn't happened yet.

Both scenarios are pretty much headcanon anyway, because the official position seems to be to just release the remainder of the TV shows quietly and let people forget they were ever affiliated with the MCU. Everything pre-Disney+ will be treated like the theme park rides, not having any bearing on the continuity of the MCU.

Last edited:
I am sorry but the entire "let people quitely forget they were tied to MCU" is pretty much conspiracy theory and totally stupid (no offense). Jeez, they are MCU. They are not in alternate timelines. Don't try to break your head over that.

Or, the return of the agents from the future resulted in the main MCU timeline where the Snap happened, and the emergence if the duplicate Coulson in the past was what created the alternate timeline we see in Season 6, where the Snap clearly hasn't happened yet.

Both scenarios are pretty much headcanon anyway, because the official position seems to be to just release the remainder of the TV shows quietly and let people forget they were ever affiliated with the MCU. Everything pre-Disney+ will be treated like the theme park rides, not having any bearing on the continuity of the MCU.
Why make such an effort to connect them, then?

I am sorry but the entire "let people quitely forget they were tied to MCU" is pretty much conspiracy theory and totally stupid (no offense). Jeez, they are MCU. They are not in alternate timelines. Don't try to break your head over that.

Believe me, I was on pretty much the same page as you for a long time. But the disconnect between the TV shows and the films has simply become too large to ignore for me. For awhile I also thought that it was simply the differences in production between TV and films that was keeping the shows from dealing with the snap, but we've had multiple seasons come out since then. They could have either A. acknowledged the Snap and dealt with the fallout onscreen (as AoS did with the Hydra reveal in its first season; it is not impossible) or B. maintained the idea that all the shows were pre-snap (implausible in terms of the shows timelines but a reasonable enough explanation from a real-world production standpoint.) But they didn't actually do either one of those. Instead we've seen storylines for two years now that were clearly developed independently from the universe-shaking fallout of Infinity Wars.

This, plus the cancellation of all the existing shows, plus the closure of Marvel TV, plus the fact that the TV shows receive much less, if any coverage compared to the movies and Disney+ series, plus the fact that the TV shows aren't even listed under the MCU on Disney+, is a pretty strong indication that the TV shows are now just a tangental remnant of the larger MCU. This wasn't the case in 2016, but it's pretty clear to me in 2019.

Why make such an effort to connect them, then?

That's my point; there used to be an effort to connect the TV shows to the MCU; it got pretty distant toward the end but it was there. Now the only effort being made is with the shows referencing each other, which is too little too late given that they're all cancelled and segregated away from the rest of the MCU.

These shows have always been written as a parallel storyline to the MCU. Again, it is not that easy as you think... Why would you disappear half of your cast for a shaking universe event when your characters will not intervene in that storyline? It is a suicide from a narrative point of view. Just like that... It is not that easy. And I am glad they are not doing that just for the sake of all it's connected. You gotta love the MCU with all their pros and cons.

And let's be honest, for Disney+ only the shows made for that streaming service and overall the Marvel Studios production will fall under the MCU tag line. Because that is what they are trying to sell.

If you want to get off the boat that is fine. But they are MCU no matter what, even if they haven't addressed the Snap yet. I am okay with it. It is not the end of the world. I just love how Runaways expanded their own little corner of the MCU, and if you wonder why Marvel TV stopped referencing every single time MCU films events that is because Marvel Studios did not give them permission to say those references and because one of the main criticsm during AoS S1 was that they were always mentioning the MCU events and only survived by sticking to it. These shows are standalone storylines set in the wider MCU, the Disney+ TV shows are just movies in a tv show format. Two different concepts.

I still believe the shows are canon. However, there has to be some excuse as to why seasons that should be set post-snap aren't. I don't want to have to go with an alternate universe/ time travel messed things up type of headcanon. But, I personally can't accept that it's simply post-snap when it's obvious seasons like A.o.S. S6, JJS3, and RS3 were made with the intention of being pre-snap. Even if it blatantly ignores evidence from both the shows and movies. The fact that Runaways contradicts itself shows how much thought was put in on maintaining any sort of continuity.

All else fails, they could just George Lucas it up and alter/refilm parts later on to make it fit better. :p

But unlikely still.

I still believe the shows are canon. However, there has to be some excuse as to why seasons that should be set post-snap aren't. I don't want to have to go with an alternate universe/ time travel messed things up type of headcanon. But, I personally can't accept that it's simply post-snap when it's obvious seasons like A.o.S. S6, JJS3, and RS3 were made with the intention of being pre-snap. Even if it blatantly ignores evidence from both the shows and movies. The fact that Runaways contradicts itself shows how much thought was put in on maintaining any sort of continuity.
It is just no simple. They had to focus on schedulling and that kind of stuff. And they are trying to play along the "pre-Snap" all the moment they want. Lets be glad the Netflix shows and the rest got cancelled.

It is just no simple. They had to focus on schedulling and that kind of stuff. And they are trying to play along the "pre-Snap" all the moment they want. Lets be glad the Netflix shows and the rest got cancelled.
I get why things are the way they are, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an issue. Especially when you're trying to make everything fit in where it's supposed to in the MCU timeline.
All else fails, they could just George Lucas it up and alter/refilm parts later on to make it fit better. :p

But unlikely still.
I doubt Marvel Studios would do this with their own productions, let alone the stuff they had no involvement in.

Well. I am sure Feige will use the characters at some point. Some will continue with their actors and others not, but the rumors around DD and JJ confirm that there will be no reboot.

Believe me, I was on pretty much the same page as you for a long time. But the disconnect between the TV shows and the films has simply become too large to ignore for me. For awhile I also thought that it was simply the differences in production between TV and films that was keeping the shows from dealing with the snap, but we've had multiple seasons come out since then. They could have either A. acknowledged the Snap and dealt with the fallout onscreen (as AoS did with the Hydra reveal in its first season; it is not impossible) or B. maintained the idea that all the shows were pre-snap (implausible in terms of the shows timelines but a reasonable enough explanation from a real-world production standpoint.) But they didn't actually do either one of those. Instead we've seen storylines for two years now that were clearly developed independently from the universe-shaking fallout of Infinity Wars.

This, plus the cancellation of all the existing shows, plus the closure of Marvel TV, plus the fact that the TV shows receive much less, if any coverage compared to the movies and Disney+ series, plus the fact that the TV shows aren't even listed under the MCU on Disney+, is a pretty strong indication that the TV shows are now just a tangental remnant of the larger MCU. This wasn't the case in 2016, but it's pretty clear to me in 2019.

That's my point; there used to be an effort to connect the TV shows to the MCU; it got pretty distant toward the end but it was there. Now the only effort being made is with the shows referencing each other, which is too little too late given that they're all cancelled and segregated away from the rest of the MCU.
Agents of S.H.I.E.LD. is different, since it's integral to the plot. The snap would confuse casual viewers.

Well. I am sure Feige will use the characters at some point. Some will continue with their actors and others not, but the rumors around DD and JJ confirm that there will be no reboot.
I'm choosing not to get my hopes up. In the off chance, Marvel Studios does anything with previous Marvel Television material (Agent Carter excluded) I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Agents of S.H.I.E.LD. is different, since it's integral to the plot. The snap would confuse casual viewers.

I don't think there are that many SHIELD fans who wouldn't at least be familiar with the snap.

Latest posts

Back