Marvel DCXVI

saintpetesam

I like history. I like comic book superheroes. Naturally, I like comic book superheroes against a historical backdrop. (Yeah, I loved me some Marvel 1601 even though I don't read mainstream Marvel.) In another thread, I mentioned my appreciation of ancient Rome, particularly the late Republican period (~144 BCE to ~23 BCE). Anyone up for a "what if" where our favorites appeared in the world of ancient Rome? I can see Spider-man (Aranea-Homo Spectaculum, maybe?) battling Medicus Octobracchium across the Palatine hill. Meanwhile, patrician playboy Antonius Infecundis (sorry, that's the closest I can come to a translation of "stark") is secretly Invictus Homo Ferrarius, a member of the Exsequi. With a cry of "Exsequi Congreror!"...

OK, I really need more sleep.

THat'd be good...like those epic arena fights in Planet Hulk. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to do more mini's like 1602..also parents would buy them for their kids since they're give the impression of being slightly educational...like a Marvel 1066 or something. You're the one who knows about ancient rome..but you could put in famous battles and stuff..like replace Achilles with Arachnid (spidey) ..or some other superhero

Personally, I would like to see a Greek myth Marvel heroes background. even something along the lines of ninja scroll. i think that would be cool.

I love latin. One of my favorite subjects.

Anyways, instead of homo, hominis, I'd use Vir, Viri, as that has the "hero" connotation. :wink:

I like your choice of period. So would our heroes witness the death of Caesar, the fall of the Republic, and the rise of Augustus? I'm just wondering if your choice had anything to do with the change.

"Et tu, Hulk?"

I like your choice of period. So would our heroes witness the death of Caesar, the fall of the Republic, and the rise of Augustus? I'm just wondering if your choice had anything to do with the change.

"Et tu, Hulk?"

HULK DEMOLIRI!

Of course, we'd have to have the heroes witness the fall of the Republic. Heck, I'd have them be involved in it, whether they wanted to be or not, and whether or not they even mean to be.

I also had the idea but further back in history around 500 BC
where many of the x-men are gauls,(exept xavier and magneto their greeks from massalia[modern marseille]) many of the not mutant 616 heroes and villians
are greek, etruskan or roman

a spontanious idea I had : the whole MU setting in the NY of the old ages :
allow me to intrduce: MARVEL BABYLON(or does sound marvel mesopotamia better)better

DCXVI? Isn't that the Roman numeral for 666? Oh, wait....that's DCLXVI....so....then what does DCXVI stand for?

Oh, I see. Never mind. 616. Gotcha.

Last edited:
This would be a great "What If" miniseries. If it were co-written by CB Cebulski and Matt Fraction. Interior art by Salvador Larocca and covers by Mark Dju-err-err...whoever the guy doing the covers for DD and Thunderbolts is.

I would of course want they tyrannical emperor to be Norman Osborn, along with his wimp of a son, Harry. All while having Fisk be his advisor (yet secretly plotting to overthrow him).

Any of you guys read Exiles back when it was good (I'm talking the first couple of years only)? I think somewhere around issue 7 or 8 there was a story arc that involved the Exiles getting stuck in a universe where Skrulls had taken over hundreds of years ago, and now force the newly emerging mutants and otherwise powered individuals to fight in gladitorial arenas. It was an excellent little arc, with some nicely reimagined characters.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back