Marvel Encyclopedias.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Wasn't there a thread on this? Nothing comes up on the search feature.

Anyways, it seems like a good time if any for updates. When were the last one published, anyone know? I don't own any. A friend from class is reading up on the X-Men one again and looking through it, it just seems like an update would help.

And yes, I know that's why there's handbooks about. But those are only up to like 48 pages, limiting the bios.

I'm pretty sure they're not publishing these anymore. I don't think I've even heard of one coming out since they started the handbooks.

Unless you're talking about those DK Ultimate Guide things, in which case I have no idea.

they realeased an updated xmen one just after x3 came out and also some time last year a new "marvel encyclopedia" came out which has extensive knowledge on some really really minor characters and little or no knowledge on some more important characters. i forget the examples. i picked this one up as i will sometimes just buy marvel stuff anyway but it was kinda cool. my friends who dont know much about marvel got more of a kick out of it than me

Last edited:
There was a new one after X3? I'll have to look that up. Thanks.

yeah it was the third edition. it was just an update of version 2 so im guessing the only new thing they added was information on x-men:the last stand. so if you have a previous edition you should probably stick with it. i have the second edition and i noticed the third edition had the same cover except for a tag on the front cover which said something like "new third edition updated with information on x3"
the only thing i hate about these encylopedis is there size/shape. they just dont fit too well on a standard bookcase that you might keep your tpb`s on

Totally. I've got all the new Handooks since they started them in 2004. I have a bunch of the old ones too, but I'm not really interested in twenty year old information.

I'm interested in the whole history. It's why I'd like to have the encyclopedias that have much more information, or at least, can have more information than the handbooks.

I'm interested in the whole history. It's why I'd like to have the encyclopedias that have much more information, or at least, can have more information than the handbooks.
I've got to note that many people have been disappointed with the bios in the encyclopedias. Mostly that characters they consider key aren't give sufficient bios and too much space is taken up with pics and large text.

By that logic, why bother owning anything since you can get it online. :?

I want to own the books. I don't care that I can get the info online. It's not the same as when you actually own the material.

I'm not going that far, but i do get everything online. Wikipedia has a pretty detailed marvel encyclopedia.

really, why bother owning anything if you can get it online? save mother earth and materials. 8)

Because it's not the same. Like I said, I rather actually own the material and have it on my hands.

It is your hands...It's in the fingertips of your keyboard. The click of the mouse and BAM!, I got that sunnavagun Captain Marvel on my desktop. Wow, he just came back and it was explained really ****ty. JK. i know what you mean.

For those who can't afford it, use Wikipedia.

I'm not going that far, but i do get everything online. Wikipedia has a pretty detailed marvel encyclopedia.

really, why bother owning anything if you can get it online? save mother earth and materials. 8)

Because it's not the same. Like I said, I rather actually own the material and have it on my hands.

I use to have a Marvel Encyclopaedia/Guide (it got damaged). I'm with Ice I would rather own the book as even if the info is online the Encyclopaedia I had , Had more detailed pictures that were perfectly placed to help expand the info.

plus I would rather have the book so I can just sit down one day open it up and read about a random thing I would never read about otherwise and I'm sounding like a geek again so I'll stop :lol:

plus I would rather have the book so I can just sit down one day open it up and read about a random thing I would never read about otherwise and I'm sounding like a geek again so I'll stop :lol:
Nah, don't worry about that. Sometimes I like to do the same.

I used to read the Handbooks every month when they came out, but I'm so far behind now. Still buy every single one though. I'll even get the Darek Tower and Anita Blake ones.

I have the DC Encyclopedia and it is totally awesome, although their character selection is bizarre, particulalrly in regards to the Legion, and their write-ups are way too short.

I wish they'd bring back Who's Who already.

One of the reasons why I look into these things is because I honestly would like to become a Marvel Historian. Know all about the company and the comics and all.

Latest posts

Back