Marvel Heroes Strategy Board Game

Insult 24 one more time and you'll find a fork coming out of your eye.

It's ok Jack...the bad man didn't mean it...

24 sucks. At least, it does after the 12th episode of season 1. Then it gets stupid because it continues. BLARGG! BLARGG I SAY!

24 sucks. At least, it does after the 12th episode of season 1. Then it gets stupid because it continues. BLARGG! BLARGG I SAY!

*covers ears*

LALALALA 24 IS AWESOME LALALALA

Seriously though...50-some dollars? Ugghhh...I'm going to have to begin working overtime. As an incredibly masculine Librarians' assistant.

its back up to 40 quid on play.com but a month or two ago it was a mere 15 quid

I admit seasons 1-3 has its bad episodes period where its mainly just filler, but 4 and up, pure gold

*covers ears*

LALALALA 24 IS AWESOME LALALALA

Seriously though...50-some dollars? Ugghhh...I'm going to have to begin working overtime. As an incredibly masculine Librarians' assistant.
This sounds like an excellent plot for a romance novel.
WHAMINDEED.jpg

I just got back from playing the game four player.

Ugh.

No, that's not the games fault. The other three players pissed me off.

One player didn't pay attention when I explained the rules, then halfway blamed me for him not paying attention - then left early.

The other two complained as much as they played, and it degraded to this:
"This game sucks." "Don't worry. I'll finish it next turn."

It's worth point out that one of them was winning for the first couple of turns (while I was in bottom place) and the other went on to win the game (I ended up second) - and I was the first person to get 'ganged up' on, and yet - they complained and whined a lot. Very aggravating.

Regardless, the game is pretty cool. Four player does three cool things - firstly, Villains are a LOT more frightening and powerful, because players have more resources with which to make villains win. Secondly, the Story track is a lot more relevant since someone will always be getting victory points from it. Thirdly, because there are 6 headlines and four players, the player going first is essentially getting first choice of headline. This means you have to make sure that you can get to your headline before anyone else. It ups the forward thinking of the game.

What I noticed about the four teams is this:

Marvel Knights - these guys have crappy stats and each character is excellent at one type of headline. If you are the first player, this is the best team to have. It means you will, without doubt, win a headline this turn and suffer no penalties. However, to be first player, you have to have the fewest victories. And if you're scoring victories then you won't be first player. Basically, if you're not first player, you have to be really paying attention to know which hero to use this turn, if you're going first, you're set for the turn.

X-Men - the team up of a ready Phoenix and a supporting Wolverine seems somewhat incredible. It seems to work really well. Magneto can't really do much when Phoenix is troubleshooting it seems. I honestly don't know what Storm or Cyclops are like; I haven't got a hold on how this team plays at all just yet.

Fantastic Four - these guys seem to have the best abilities, and those abilities seem to work really well when combined. Their abilities are amazing. There stats less so. With them, as far as I can tell, making sure you're drawing resource cards a lot is important, because you need them to use their powers.

Avengers - the most solid team with the biggest guys, they're strong and they're powerful, but they're not good at any one thing. They're just the safest bet for a team. These guys have two level three characters (all the others have one each) meaning they will almost always have a level three character ready on the boad.

As for the four team nemeses- it seems that masterminds can beat level 1 and 2 heroes quite easily, but a level 3 hero is tough, and it requires a good lead villain to played before hand to soften up the hero.

I want to play it again without people complaining, but I doubt that'll happen any time soon. I think it's quite cool, but I'm not sure about the longevity or depth of strategy. Playing it twice, and once with the group as I described above didn't make it that much fun.

But I'd still like to think it's cool. :)

I hate when people do that Bass, complain while playing a game. The worst is when they blantantly ignore you while you are playing the game, and not care.

Latest posts

Back