Marvel planning 'Guardians of the Galaxy' pic

My favorite thing about the preview was that it didn't give away anything.

This. It was exciting and funny and I really want to see it without knowing anything more about it than I did before I watched the trailer.

That's good trailer-making, folks.

This. It was exciting and funny and I really want to see it without knowing anything more about it than I did before I watched the trailer.

That's good trailer-making, folks.

Now if they can just keep it up over the next 1-3 more trailers that will be released before the movie opens.

It was exactly what I was expecting. I think it was great. If you went into it expecting Academy Award level drama or angst, you're barking up the wrong tree. It's a shallow (in a good way), simple, fun, and humorous movie. It's got an anthropomorphic raccoon and tree alien as main characters, after all. Lighten up, Cap. ;)

Hey, I've read all of DnA's Guardians, and I love them. I love that it's off the wall and absurd space adventure. I wasn't expecting drama or angst. And yeah, I am looking forward to the movie. But that trailer just did nothing for me.

What did you like about it? Was it funny? Why? Because Star Lord wants his walkman back? Because he did the middle finger crank joke that people used to do when I was in grade 7? Because the Nova Corps called them a-holes? I don't get it.

The second half of the trailer was better. I'm looking forward to Rocket and Groot. Seeing them in action was cool.

But all I can think is that if I didn't already like the Guardians and if I wasn't totally on board for whatever the Marvel Universe throws at me, I wouldn't be excited for this movie based on that trailer.

Last edited:
Hey, I've read all of DnA's Guardians, and I love them. I love that it's off the wall and absurd space adventure. I wasn't expecting drama or angst. And yeah, I am looking forward to the movie. But that trailer just did nothing for me. What did you like about it? Was it funny? Why? Because Star Lord wants his walkman back? Because he did the middle finger crank joke that people used to do when I was in grade 7? Because the Nova Corps called them a-holes? I don't get it. The second half of the trailer was better. I'm looking forward to Rocket and Groot. Seeing them in action was cool. But all I can think is that if I didn't already like the Guardians and if I wasn't totally on board for whatever the Marvel Universe throws at me, I wouldn't be excited for this movie based on that trailer.

The a-holes line was funny. And I doubt they used the best instances of humor this movie has in the first trailer.

And the immature and shallow humor seems to be a perfect fit for the franchise. That, combined with the great action, special effects, and make-up make me think it'll be quite a bit of fun. And the "police line up" scene giving break downs/introductions on the Guardians was good. It just looks like fun.

Ok so I just watched IGN's breakdown of the trailer and they pointed out some stuff I didn't notice.

Apparently Peter Quill has a translation device implanted so he can understand all the alien languages, hence everyone seeming to speak English in space.

They also point out a lot of 80's references (since Quill left Earth as a child in the 80's): the Walkman (obvious) which acts as his last connection to the life he left behind on Earth and why he's so defensive when the alien guard starts touching it; the name of his ship, the Milano, likely named after Alyssa Milano; and even the middle finger gag that Cap Canuck found questionable (there is a certain logic to him using dated Earth jokes and references like that).

I also like that they're giving Quill a sort of Indiana Jones/Han Solo vibe, everything from his stealing artifacts to his roguish behavior.

Apparently we'll see a better look at Ronan in the next trailer (though he makes a quick appearance in this one choking Drax...and he's got the hammer).

They also point out a lot of 80's references (since Quill left Earth as a child in the 80's): the Walkman (obvious) which acts as his last connection to the life he left behind on Earth and why he's so defensive when the alien guard starts touching it; the name of his ship, the Milano, likely named after Alyssa Milano; and even the middle finger gag that Cap Canuck found questionable (there is a certain logic to him using dated Earth jokes and references like that).

haha, I found the walkman questionable too. "Why is he listening to 70s pop on a walkman!?!"

okay, fine. That all makes more sense.

I'm on my phone but there's a new featurette on Marvel's YouTube channel. Bradley Cooper has Rocket nailed

Did anyone else notice the yellow smokey stuff coming off the "in 3-D and imax" and the "8-1-14"

Maybe I'm stretching, but that might be a hit to the reality gem, which is yellow.

gotgposter-f896e.jpg

Seriously, I've never read a single issue and the extent of my knowledge on these guys is how Rocket Raccoon is presented in ULTIMATE MARVEL Vs CAPCOM....and the trailer tells me nothing about this....

......and yet I can't get the trailer outta my head and stop feeling like I HAVE to see this movie.

"You're welcome"

That's awesome.

Did anyone else notice the yellow smokey stuff coming off the "in 3-D and imax" and the "8-1-14" Maybe I'm stretching, but that might be a hit to the reality gem, which is yellow.

Could be. I'd be surprised if one of the gems doesn't serve as the McGuffin of this movie.

We've had two so far, the Tesseract and the one in Thor - The Dark World. This could be the third.

I'd expect the rest to be introduced in Phase 3, leading up to the big throw down with Thanos in Avengers 3 over them and the Gauntlet. In fact if the rumors are true about Thor 3 involving Ragnarok, it'd be great if there was a scene showing Thanos' agents storming Asgard during Ragnarok to ensure they obtain the Gauntlet before everything goes to ****.

Really am looking forward to seeing how they portray the Infinity Gauntlet with all the stones, what it's capable of, how they defeat Thanos once he has it, etc.

Seriously, I've never read a single issue and the extent of my knowledge on these guys is how Rocket Raccoon is presented in ULTIMATE MARVEL Vs CAPCOM....and the trailer tells me nothing about this....

......and yet I can't get the trailer outta my head and stop feeling like I HAVE to see this movie.

Same here. I read the original GotG, and I'm familiar with some of the characters in this incarnation of the group but I have never read a comic with Rocket, Star Lord, Groot or this version of Drax before. I am kind of excited about going into this movie without the baggage of comic continuity that I bring to every other comic movie.

And I can't get the trailer, or Hooked on a Feeling for that matter, out of my head either. I can't wait to see it.

Latest posts

Back