Marvel showcases Ultimate Iron Man #1 cover by Bryan Hitch

E

Excelsior Club
[IMGL]http://ultimatecentral.com/images/news-ultim1cov.jpg[/IMGL] Marvel.com has posted a new image of the Ultimate Iron Man #1 cover penciled by Bryan Hitch, shown here, as well as a press release which reads:

MARVEL TAPS SCI-FI LEGEND ORSON SCOTT CARD TO PEN "ULTIMATE IRON MAN," THE NEWEST ADDITION TO MARVEL'S BEST-SELLING ULTIMATE UNIVERSE

New Series to Recreate the Fabled Iron Man Character; Book One to Launch in March 2005 with Focus on His Parents and Super Hero Beginnings

Iron Man, the crusading super hero first introduced by Marvel in The Avengers series, will receive his own book in the Marvel "Ultimate" universe this January as Marvel Comics launches Ultimate Iron Man.

The series, which recreates the history of the super hero and his alter ego Tony Stark, will be written by Orson Scott Card, the best-selling science fiction writer best known for his books, "Ender's Game" and "Speaker of the Dead," which each received the Hugo and Nebula awards for best science fiction.

Launched by Marvel in 2000, the Ultimate line re-introduces several of Marvel's most popular characters in 21st-century settings. Featuring hyper-realistic computer graphics, the Ultimate books allow a new generation of readers to grow up with their favorite Marvel superheroes.

Ultimate Iron Man will mark Scott Card's first comic book writing effort. The initial storyline will center on Tony Stark's childhood and how his parents' experiments with re-creating and rebuilding human skin/armor led to the death of his mother. This tragic event will provide the foundation for Scott Card to then delve into how Tony Stark will develop as a man and super hero.

The series will be illustrated by Andy Kubert (1602 and Wolverine: Origin).

"I'm an enormous fan of Orson's writing, and our assistant editor Nick Lowe has made it his personal mission to get Mr. Card to write Iron Man," said Joe Quesada, Editor in Chief of Marvel Comics. "Iron Man is a strong and much-beloved character in the Marvel Universe. I know that Orson's new exploration and defining of him as a super hero will delight traditional comic fans and definitely appeal to a whole new audience of fans drawn to the science fiction element in his storytelling."

Also shown is a sketch of the suit.

The press release can be viewed at http://marvel.com/publishing/stories/showstory.htm?id=12 as well as a larger version of the cover image.

The cover is okay, but the sketch of, the first, maybe, Iron Man armor is awesome. Cant wait for this to come out.

I like the cover. Looks to me like Mr Stark has to confront his inner demons. If his identity, now after being known as Iron Man, is really the man or the machine... but what do I know. :roll:
You shouldn't judge the book by its cover, the story might not be connected to the cover. But it would be nice if it was. :wink:

Of course Stark's going to encounter some inner demons. In fact, that's probably the purpose of the series, since they've chosen Card to write it. If this series is anything like Ender's Game, Stark will go through a deep psychological journey, stomping on people along the way, and running away from his past.

I like to cover too.

The psychological journey (it is a focus of Card's writing) will probably the centre of the book but one of the things about Card is that he manages to balance the internal character developement and the external action very well. So if you don't like psychological journeys, i wouldn't let that (speculation on our part too) put you off.

Aeroth said:
Of course Stark's going to encounter some inner demons. In fact, that's probably the purpose of the series, since they've chosen Card to write it. If this series is anything like Ender's Game, Stark will go through a deep psychological journey, stomping on people along the way, and running away from his past.

:lol:

Latest posts

Back