Marvel Studios Updates

The whole bit about doing "Elektra 2" a la Sin City sounds so vague and directionless.

At best, it means they want to be more faithful to Frank Miller's work. Which just sounds insulting. I mean, what now that Robert Rodriguez did a Frank Miller movie right and you finally decide to try to be faithful to his work this time around?

But at worst, it just sounds like he doesn't have a treatment concept in mind and is just throwing velcro balls at a wall.

CNN said:
On Thursday, tens of thousands of comic enthusiasts began descending on San Diego for the annual Comic-Con convention, where movie adaptations are among the hottest topics. But with so many cartoon superstars like Batman, Superman, the Hulk and the Fantastic Four already gone Hollywood, who's left?

"Ha ha!" laughs Marvel Studios chief Avi Arad. "You know we have 5,000 characters?"

Next up for Marvel is "Ghost Rider," in summer 2006, with Nicolas Cage as a possessed motorcycle rider hellbent on justice.

"For the hardcore group, 'Ghost Rider' is probably the most anticipated one," Arad says. "I think once the world gets to meet him, it will extend this community."

In various stages of development, Arad says, are movies for Thor (the hammer-welding Nordic hero), the Silver Surfer (who rides a flying surfboard), Captain America (the most patriotic hero, fashioned during WWII) and Namor the Sub-Mariner (one of the oldest superheroes -- think a more cranky Aquaman).

Also in the pipeline is Iron Man (who's protected by a suit of armor, to be directed by Nick Cassavetes), Doctor Strange (a sorcerer of the mystic arts), Nick Fury (a James Bond-like spy) and Black Panther (the first black comic book character, although he was beaten to the big screen by "Spawn").

It doesn't end with movies, either.

Stan Lee, who created so many Marvel heroes, has formed his own company, Pow! Entertainment. Aside from films, Pow! is currently creating an "urban superhero" for Vibe magazine, developing the animated show "Hef's Superbunnies" for MTV (which he says "will finally reveal the true secret of Hugh Hefner's existence") and has a reality TV show in the works that will be titled something like "So You Want to be a Superhero?"

Will comics remain popular long enough for all of these projects to flourish?

"The whole trick is taking a story that has a fantasy angle of some sort, but doing it as realistically as possible," says the 82-year-old Lee. "Saying, what if a fellow really could shoot a web and crawl on the walls? What would his day-to-day existence be?"

I really can't wait for Ghost Rider to come out.

Last edited:
From SHH!:

A scooper for ComingSoon.net caught up with Jennifer Garner on the set of her new film, "Catch and Release," and she talked a bit about possible sequels to both Elektra and Daredevil:

"I haven't heard much yet but I know Rob (Bowman) wants another Elektra but isn't sure Marvel is willing for a sequel, but there is a vague story that may be used in the future."

As for Daredevil 2, "Ben says it's in the early stages, but not much on that either."

Hit the link above for the full report.

icemastertron said:
As for Daredevil 2, "Ben says it's in the early stages, but not much on that either."[/B][/I]
Didn't Affleck already express disinterest in doing a Daredevil sequel, citing the costume as a complaint, and saying that he'd only do it again if Kevin Smith directed? Not that he couldn't change his mind...

ourchair said:
Didn't Affleck already express disinterest in doing a Daredevil sequel, citing the costume as a complaint, and saying that he'd only do it again if Kevin Smith directed? Not that he couldn't change his mind...

Yeah - my first thought when I read that too. Hopefully it wasn't a contract ploy on his part, because his girl just ruined it for him.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Ugh... they're gonna want to do it together and be real cute and it's gonna suck.
The Ben-Lo relationship fell apart, didn't it? I think that makes your fear of Ben Affleck and J-Lo doing Daredevil a non-possibility.

From SHH!:

Variety reports that FX has boughts rights to the network window for 12 titles from 20th Century Fox, including Fantastic Four and Elektra:

FX has engineered one of the biggest theatrical-movie deals in its 11-year history, shelling out about $75 million to buy the network window to 12 titles from 20th Century Fox, including "Mr. & Mrs. Smith," "Fantastic Four" and "Robots."

The other titles in the 20th bundle, some of which will get to FX in 2008, after their exclusive pay TV run on HBO, are "Kingdom of Heaven," "Fever Pitch," "Hide & Seek," "Elektra," "Taxi," "Sideways," "Paparazzi," "Flight of the Phoenix" and "Fat Albert."

As part of the deal, Twentieth TV reserves the right to sell any of the pictures in a window to a broadcast network. Twentieth would carve the window out in the second or third year of FX's five-year window. The most likely titles to stir the
interest of a broadcast network are "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" and "Fantastic Four."

icemastertron said:
The other titles in the 20th bundle, some of which will get to FX in 2008, after their exclusive pay TV run on HBO, are "Kingdom of Heaven," "Fever Pitch," "Hide & Seek," "Elektra," "Taxi," "Sideways," "Paparazzi," "Flight of the Phoenix" and "Fat Albert."
Who in hell would PAY for Flight of the Phoenix on pay per view?

ourchair said:
Who in hell would PAY for Flight of the Phoenix on pay per view?

Or Fat Albert?!?!

Marvel Moves Forward with Paramount Deal
Source: The Hollywood Reporter September 5, 2005

The Hollywood Reporter says that Marvel, now called Marvel Entertainment, will announce Tuesday its name change and will divulge that superheroes Captain America, the Avengers, Nick Fury, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Cloak & Dagger, Dr. Strange, Hawkeye, Power Pack and Shang-Chi will be made into movies:

Paramount Pictures, under a deal announced in April shortly after Brad Grey took the helm of the studio, will distribute and market the films, the first of which will be released in 2008 or possibly sooner.

Marvel chairman and CEO Avi Arad said he officially will begin attaching scriptwriters to all 10 projects beginning Wednesday and that, though he has a wish list, he's unsure which movie will be released first.

"No character before its time. The scripts will dictate which is first," Arad said, adding, "I cannot wait to tell Captain America's story. It's a doozy of a story."

In April, Marvel said it would budget each film in the range of $45 million-$180 million, though Arad since has narrowed that to $50 million-$165 million.

Source: SuperheroHype

Cloak and Dagger? Shang-Chi? :shock:

Independence...

From SHH!:

Marvel Enterprises, Inc. announced today the completion of a $525 million non-recourse debt facility which will finance Marvel's production of up to ten films based on characters from its famous stable of comic book characters, including Captain America, Nick Fury and The Avengers. Paramount, a unit of Viacom, Inc., will distribute the film slate, with the first theatrical release expected for summer 2008. This transforming arrangement gives Marvel complete creative control, the ability to build a film library and greater profit potential than it has received from films licensed to other studios. To reflect this major expansion of its Hollywood presence, Marvel will change its name to "Marvel Entertainment, Inc."

These film production activities, to be carried out by subsidiaries of Marvel Studios, Inc., will complement existing and future film projects licensed to other studios. Marvel has a strong track record of working closely on Marvel character-based films it has licensed to other studios, such as Sony Pictures, 20th Century Fox, New Line Cinema, Universal Studios, and Lions Gate Entertainment. In 2006, Marvel anticipates the release of Ghost Rider, X-Men III and Punisher II through Sony, Fox and Lions Gate, respectively.

The seven-year, $525 million facility was arranged by Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Inc. and consists of $465 million in revolving senior bank debt and $60 million in mezzanine debt. Both S&P and Moody's have given the senior bank debt an investment grade rating. In addition, Ambac Assurance Corporation has insured the senior debt, raising its rating to AAA. MVL Film Finance LLC, a special purpose, bankruptcy-remote subsidiary of Marvel, will be the borrower under the facility. That subsidiary has pledged the theatrical film rights to the ten characters included in the film slate as collateral for the borrowings. The borrowings are non-recourse to Marvel Enterprises, Inc. and its other affiliates.

Avi Arad, Chairman and CEO of Marvel Studios, commented: "The film slate financing enables us to evolve our entertainment operations into film production, an area where we have experienced past success with our partners and which offers significant profit potential for our company. The characters involved are some of the most valuable in the Marvel Universe, and we are excited to launch them as consumer brands via feature film releases under our direction. We look forward to working with Brad Grey and the exceptional team he has put together at Paramount and are confident that this will be a successful venture for us both."

Read the rest at the link above.

The 10 Marvel properties in the arrangement are Captain America, The Avengers, Nick Fury, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Cloak & Dagger, Doctor Strange, Hawkeye, Power Pack and Shang-Chi. Each film is expected to have a budget of up to $165 million dollars and a rating no more restrictive than PG-13.

Those are the ones we should expect from the new deal Ice mentioned above.

I'm particularly excited about Ant Man, Black Panther and Hawkeye, I think they'd all make good movies. If they include the Wasp, and Hank's breakdown into Yellowjacket then I'd be one happy bunny. I can imagine setting the sequel with an appearence by Giant Man at the end.

Although I honestly can't understand how an Avengers movie would work... unless part of this new deal is that Marvel could effectively make crossovers of it's movies, because the last I heard on this, Iron Man and Thor are both owned by different studios, as was Captain America. And with Hawkeye and Ant Man getting solo movies, could they also fit into the Avengers movie?

I'm confused.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Although I honestly can't understand how an Avengers movie would work... unless part of this new deal is that Marvel could effectively make crossovers of it's movies, because the last I heard on this, Iron Man and Thor are both owned by different studios, as was Captain America. And with Hawkeye and Ant Man getting solo movies, could they also fit into the Avengers movie?

I'm confused.

I would so love to have continuity and crossovers in movies. It would be great.

As for who I'm looking forward to...

Captain America, Doctor Strange, Shang-Chi, Cloak & Dagger. Everyone else I feel too much like they're part of teams or stories to think they can hold their own movies together. Does anyone think some of these films will be aimed toward younger audiences? Ant-Man? Power Pack?

TheManWithoutFear said:
E, I think they meant that whoever the young black actor they get to play Cage , because of how good the movie is going to be, will bring the newbie up to Jamie Foxx status... I do wish it was 50 though I could so see him doing it.

Fallon is totally a rip-off of Adam Sandler.

Does anyone know is Hulk made more than Daredevil? I agree with them on not making a sequel to DD (their own damn fault) but I thought because Hulk cost so much that Daredevil made more than.
If Fiddy Cent was da' Cage-homey, he's be trippin' yo'. Cage is only so much gangastanator man, so yous' be trippin' yous' be dissin, yous be pissin' man, all overs yous' nizzle man. Fo shizzle'. Huh? You no understand da' gangstnator?! Im'a kick yous' ***, bistochzzle, shizzle wizzle nizzle foizzle.

Izzle.

Fuzzy Birds said:

I'm confused.
Marvel Enterprises my friend. Marvel Enterprises. Inc. It means they produce the movies sucka. So they can do whatever. Even have Cap rape a sheep. With Dr. Strange videotaping it. Reed downloads it, and passes it to Spidey.

Latest posts

Back