Marvel Super Hero Squad show

I would like to point out that Batman:tB&tB is a serious show presented as a silly one.

It's played entirely with a straight face it's not like Batman's going for slap-stick jokes left and right

Hell the art style is the only thing that makes it silly and the occasional banter with a silly team-up (Plastic Man, Joker), the series just takes it's premise's from outlandish silver-age stories

My son has a few of the toys and would love this.

Okay, we get it, we're stupid because we like it, and we're wrong because we don't agree with you.

Now can we get back on topic please?

I didn't say anything like that, at all. It's completely my opinion, and it's on the show, not you guys. I clearly pointed out that it's what "I think" and how it feels "to me". My opinion. On stories. Not you. And you do this all the time. You make up insults to your intelligence, or gender, or philosophies, attribute them to people who said nothing like that, and then bash those people.

But yes, I'll continue this in the right thread. Done here.

Sorry if posted but :

9030header_banner9061199.jpg

:lol: ^

Watch an EXCLUSIVE music video of the Marvel animated show that had Comic-Con talking!

No idea if this will be the theme song but it has footage :

http://marvel.com/news/moviestories.9030.The_Super_Hero_Squad_Show_Wows_~apos~Em

Honestly. I just don't like it. I saw episode I liked ""Game Over for Owlman!" (i think) the one with batman teaming with the red hood (joker) I thought that pretty clever.

But overall I don't like the animation. I don't like the voices. I don't enjoy the plot. Now if you like it that's cool dude. I just don't enjoy it. It's not what I want from a batman cartoon.

But yes, I don't want that style for this cartoon.

But... Moley! It's so much fun! It's like puff-pastry for the brain! :D

I saw an episode today, "Inside the Outsiders" which opened with Batman and Green Arrow in a death trap engineered by Catwoman. And Batman totally flirts with her, and then Green Arrow calls him on it, and then the major story is the Psycho-Pirate who Batman beats up while smiling and thinking happy thoughts.

I love my kooky Batman. :)

I pick up the BRAVE AND THE BOLD comic because it is fun and cool and the letters page is awesome.

Elizabeth Wolfgang said:
Dear Batman and Hawkgirl,
Batman, who do you team up with the most? Have you ever teamed up with Fire or Ice?
Hawkgirl, do you have a Hawkship? Can you talk to hawks?

Unfortunately, the letter was answered by Johnny DC and not Batman or Hawkgirl, but I tracked them down asked them for their responses.

Batman said:
Hello Elizabeth.
I seem to team up most with Green Arrow and Blue Beetle. I'm always happy to team up with either of the two; Blue Beetle is a young superhero who needs guidance and helping him is a great honor for me. With Green Arrow, I'm safely in the hands of a skilled hero, and I know we'll always triumph over evil together. (Incidentally, don't tell him I said that.)
I have teamed up with Fire and Ice on several occasions. They're a wonderful duo and great people to look up to.
Thank you for your questions, Elizabeth!

Hawkgirl said:
Hiya Elizabeth!
I don't have a Hawkship. The closest is the spaceship I came from Thanagar in, but it's completely broken. But you know what? I totally should! Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to make one. Sometimes my wings get tired, and this would be a great way to get around in a hurry.
And yes, I can talk to hawks. They're wonderful, proud creatures, but they don't make good pets.
Thanks Elizabeth, I gotta build me a Hawkship now!

I love my kooky Batman.

No, cartoons are cartoons.How about you stop taking things so seriously?

I agree. When something is obviously not serious in the slightest, to discuss its merits as a serious form of entertainment makes no sense.

Tons of serious, hugely successful cartoons are aimed at kids. Like the entire Timmverse.

And THE POWER PUFF GIRLS! And THE SIMPSONS! And... man, if it wasn't so late I'd start up a marathon.

That doesn't mean every cartoon has to be like that, there are tons of cartoons that were very silly and fun like Animaniacs, that was good and kids liked it.

Not all cartoons have to be the same and not all cartoons have to go out of their way to appeal to fan boys.

I agree completely.

Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, while both aimed at Kids, had enough intelligent jokes in there to be viewed and loved by Adults.

Much like the Brave and the Bold does now a days, though most people can't get past the whole 'kid thing' of it.

For those of you who say it doesn't, look at the Bat Mite episode, then tell me it doesn't.

The thing is, that episode also explains to people like Planet-Man, and even Moley, that this cooky Batman is just as legitimate as Nolan's.

It has nothing to do with "aimed at kids/aimed at fanboys" or the amount of intelligence in the scripts to me.... B:TAS was serious and dark, and kids still ate it up. Anyone I know who loves Batman now was introduced to him by that show. Serious or silly, kids will like it if it's good. That's all that matters.

And as such, I don't like the idea of a "silly" Batman cartoon, because it's not the purpose of the character. I don't like the idea of a "serious" Animaniacs either.

BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD is more like the majority of Batman stories that THE DARK KNIGHT. The Timmverse probably had the best balance between the three-heads of Batman, but three-heads thar be, and none is more legitimate, nor more 'Batman' than the others. Mole's reaction of "It's not what I want from Batman" is a much fairer judgement of the cartoon than claiming that being 'silly' isn't the purpose of the character. It totally is, and has been for decades.

Personally I would like either 1 of 2 styles either a) Tiny Toons style or b) Teen Titans Style. Possibly a mixture of the two.

Tiny Titans! Teen Toons! Tiny Teen! Toon Titans! Teeny Tootans! My mind goes ga-ga at the thought.

Did anyone watch the music video?

I did. It was okay. I want to see the show. I hope it's fun.

Last edited:
Loved that video Venom thank you. :lol::lol::lol: Hulk to grey/original hulk = awesome

Last edited:
Looks fun. My son liked the preview.

BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD is more like the majority of Batman stories that THE DARK KNIGHT. The Timmverse probably had the best balance between the three-heads of Batman, but three-heads thar be, and none is more legitimate, nor more 'Batman' than the others. Mole's reaction of "It's not what I want from Batman" is a much fairer judgement of the cartoon than claiming that being 'silly' isn't the purpose of the character. It totally is, and has been for decades.

I thought we were supposed to do this in the other thread?

What it comes down to for me is that Kane and Finger who designed him and laid out the entire universe they still use for him intended for him to be a dark, somber man haunted by his parents murders who hunts criminals through terrifying measures with often grisly results. The silly stuff came about as a result of executive meddling. The men who made him intended him for other things. Through sheer volume the silly stuff may be a prominent part of Batman in general by now, but that's not the same thing as it being his purpose.

My reaction to the show is essentially the same as Mole's, i.e. it's not what I want from a Batman show. I just also feel a bit cheated by that since what I do want happens to be the version which should, in my opinion, have priority.

There are other times where the version of a character or story I like isn't what it was made for but is stuff others have come up with and added, often to the horror of the author. But I still admit to the original version being the purpose in those cases and feel for the author and the people who preferred it, because it's like they've been cheated too.

Edit: And as I said in the Brave and the Bold thread, I haven't seen the Bat-Mite episode and eventually would like to. Who knows, maybe it would somehow persuade me otherwise on this thing.

Last edited:
I thought we were supposed to do this in the other thread?

Rules apply not to I.

What it comes down to for me is that Kane and Finger who designed him and laid out the entire universe they still use for him intended for him to be a dark, somber man haunted by his parents murders who hunts criminals through terrifying measures with often grisly results. The silly stuff came about as a result of executive meddling. The men who made him intended him for other things. Through sheer volume the silly stuff may be a prominent part of Batman in general by now, but that's not the same thing as it being his purpose.

Bob Kane wanted Batman to look like this:

2256.jpg

The costume is meant to be bright red.

Bill Finger then invented everything else. And no matter how 'gritty' Batman was originally, he still fought men dressed up as clowns.

The idea that Batman's kooky sci-fi aspect isn't his purpose is as bizarre as saying that Frank Miller's take on Daredevi "doesn't count" because originally, Daredevil was meant to be a regular circus-themed crimefighter.

If the kooky sci-fi stuff wasn't a totally acceptable part of his character make-up, it would never have lasted. The reason it exists is because Batman is supposed to exist in the DC universe. Without that larger continuity, it doesn't work. As soon as DC wanted Batman and Superman to team up, Batman had to sci-fi it up, and he did so quite well, because Superman couldn't go towards Batman. As such, Batman's versatility for genre kicked in and we get all manner of Batmen because the concept is so easily altered. This isn't true for Superman or Spider-Man, neither of whom, despite a myriad of attempts, can't step away from their core elements. (Superman is more capable of it than Spidey.)

This isn't to say one character is better or worse than the other, but simply the idea of an inherent purpose in the character becomes less and less true the more the character is reinvented.

You don't have to like or want to like BRAVE AND THE BOLD, or the "Squaddies", but the idea that it's not the character's purpose is a contemptuous attitude.

Last edited:
Bass said:
Rules apply not to I.

Oh, right.

Anyway, saying it's not the character's purpose is not the same thing as saying it "doesn't count". I'm not saying that.

It's just a reason I feel like I've been cheated out of stories about the version I like, because it's what the people who made him wanted(yes, I know Finger was just as integral a contributer to Batman, you'll notice I already mentioned him, but Bob Kane agreed with his contributions, unlike the wacky, light-hearted attitude).

The costumes, be it Batsuit or clownsuit, are not what I care about, nor do they have any bearing on the darkness of the work to me. The costume he wears in TBATB is essentially the same one from BTAS or the O'Neill/Adams comics.

Nor do I have a problem with the more sci-fi aspects to the character, because they stories could still use them and be just as dark and somber if they wanted to. It's the attitude I'm on about. That's the way I feel.

Anyway, saying it's not the character's purpose is not the same thing as saying it "doesn't count". I'm not saying that.

It is completely the same. By dismissing BRAVE AND THE BOLD and its ilk as "not Batman's purpose" is to say, "it's not really Batman". Therefore, it doesn't count as Batman. And it's balderdash.

It's just a reason I feel like I've been cheated out of stories about the version I like, because it's what the people who made him wanted(yes, I know Finger was just as integral a contributer to Batman, you'll notice I already mentioned him, but Bob Kane agreed with his contributions, unlike the wacky, light-hearted attitude).

What about those of us who like THIS version and have been cheated out of it for 40 ****ing years? Not since Adam West's show has Batman been this frivolous and light-hearted. Burton's BATMAN and the Dini/Timm BATMAN had aspects of it (particularly Dini/Timm who balanced all three Batmen archetypes effortlessly) but pretty much every reboot of Batman has tried to make him 'dark', and I was damn sick of it because it was all crap. You can say "It's Batman's purpose" but its bull****, because for the last 20+ years, Batman's "purpose" has been to rip-off Rorschach as much as possible.

With the exception of Burton's two Batman movies and the animated series, for twenty gorram years there was almost no good Batman stories anywhere. Even THE KILLING JOKE was poor. All trying to be 'serious', and they were all crap. It took until 2005 to get something halfway decent, and then we got THE DARK KNIGHT three years later. But this BRAVE AND THE BOLD is actually fun. It has no pretense above its station, and enjoys what it is, unlike the pathetic attempts by artists to try to redo Rorschach in a bat costume and talk about his psychotic nature.

He's a children's character, dammit. He always has been and always will be. And the idea he can be "more" is just insulting. As if that wasn't enough. It was enough for Indiana Jones, the cast of STAR WARS, THE SIMPSONS and every Pixar movie. It's good enough for Batman.

It is completely the same. By dismissing BRAVE AND THE BOLD and its ilk as "not Batman's purpose" is to say, "it's not really Batman". Therefore, it doesn't count as Batman. And it's balderdash.

No, it's not the same to me, at least as not-the-same as any incredibly vague, arbirtrary, individual value system can be. "Count as Batman"? Count where?

What about those of us who like THIS version and have been cheated out of it for 40 ****ing years?

I'm not arguing for you guys, because I don't like the same version as you?

Not since Adam West's show has Batman been this frivolous and light-hearted. Burton's BATMAN and the Dini/Timm BATMAN had aspects of it (particularly Dini/Timm who balanced all three Batmen archetypes effortlessly) but pretty much every reboot of Batman has tried to make him 'dark', and I was damn sick of it because it was all crap. You can say "It's Batman's purpose" but its bull****, because for the last 20+ years, Batman's "purpose" has been to rip-off Rorschach as much as possible.

With the exception of Burton's two Batman movies and the animated series, for twenty gorram years there was almost no good Batman stories anywhere. Even THE KILLING JOKE was poor. All trying to be 'serious', and they were all crap. It took until 2005 to get something halfway decent, and then we got THE DARK KNIGHT three years later. But this BRAVE AND THE BOLD is actually fun. It has no pretense above its station, and enjoys what it is, unlike the pathetic attempts by artists to try to redo Rorschach in a bat costume and talk about his psychotic nature.

He's a children's character, dammit. He always has been and always will be. And the idea he can be "more" is just insulting. As if that wasn't enough. It was enough for Indiana Jones, the cast of STAR WARS, THE SIMPSONS and every Pixar movie. It's good enough for Batman.

For me, it's not enough. This is JUST INSULTING? I think that's way more of a "contemptuous attitude" to have than me not thinking the light-hearted Batman is as true to what I think is his core character.

Nevermind declaring all those stories to be poor or pathetic or crap or whatever. If you don't like them, fine, but putting it that way seems like trolling to me.

Last edited:
The show debuted yesterday apparently, anyone see it?

Here it is on Youtube

I don't like it as much as The Brave and the Bold, but I did laugh at Hulk, and Redwing's scouting mission. It seems like they took some animation shortcuts too, but kids will probably like it, and I'll give it a few more episodes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back