Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

-beardoms-

Ok. So it hasn't been released yet in the UK, but ive been watching some videos and got some ideas for a sequel.
Also iv'e been playing Arkham Asylum and well, i would like a fusion of the two.

I would change the angle of the camera to the same kind of third person angle that Arkham asylum features and when you switch form one character to another you just move over to the same angle on the new character.

The game would feature ten different locations, all locations fully free roam, each location would be smaller than Arkham asylum map, but not to small. So we would have some locations in buildings some outside.

At the beginning of the game you pick the side you want to be on, good or evil. Then you pick command centre you want to be your teams base of operations depening on the side you chose. So it could be Avengers Mansion/Tower, Xavier's School, Baxter Building or something like Doom's Lair, Fisk Tower etc etc. Each base would be fully free roam as well.

When you pick your base and side you pick your team. Now at the beginning you can only pick players that are either good or evil depending on what side you chose. However throughout the game your team's get to merge and you get to mix villians with heroes.

I would base the story on something like Dark Reign, but would not follow the exact story. So don't worry guys, the plot would be different.

Thats what i would do. I just think the game could be just as good with the same camera angle as Arkham Asylum and the same sized maps, but ten of them.

Ok. So it hasn't been released yet in the UK, but ive been watching some videos and got some ideas for a sequel.
Also iv'e been playing Arkham Asylum and well, i would like a fusion of the two.

I would change the angle of the camera to the same kind of third person angle that Arkham asylum features and when you switch form one character to another you just move over to the same angle on the new character.

The game would feature ten different locations, all locations fully free roam, each location would be smaller than Arkham asylum map, but not to small. So we would have some locations in buildings some outside.

At the beginning of the game you pick the side you want to be on, good or evil. Then you pick command centre you want to be your teams base of operations depening on the side you chose. So it could be Avengers Mansion/Tower, Xavier's School, Baxter Building or something like Doom's Lair, Fisk Tower etc etc. Each base would be fully free roam as well.

When you pick your base and side you pick your team. Now at the beginning you can only pick players that are either good or evil depending on what side you chose. However throughout the game your team's get to merge and you get to mix villians with heroes.

I would base the story on something like Dark Reign, but would not follow the exact story. So don't worry guys, the plot would be different.

Thats what i would do. I just think the game could be just as good with the same camera angle as Arkham Asylum and the same sized maps, but ten of them.

I thinks that's a bit of a tall order, specially camera angles, the whole concept is that you work as a team so over heard is best, you also have to take into account multiplayers

Hm. Interesting, but it sounds like an entirely new game. I'd settle on less expansive updates for a sequel.

1) More action, less RPG
RPG's are fine, but the focus on this series is supposed to be multiplayer, and when you're playing games with other people, you don't want to be regularly monkeying with menus to update your characters. Move to a mission based structure. You can still have the standard of say, a half dozen major environments, but split them up into smaller maps with tighter objectives. I think the strongest aspect of the first game actually came from the hologram side missions, where the action was more arcadey and frenetic, facing swarms after swarms of enemies and trying to rack up huge kill counts for massive points. I felt this style of gameplay would have made a better fit for a multiplayer game than the dungeon crawling that consisted the main campaign mode. Add in a points and combo system. Even cooperative multiplayer should be competitive, and it blows my mind that a traditional RPG like Final Fantasy XII can have a combo system while a more action oriented game like this completely leaves that out. Hand in hand with this is the idea of...

2) A skill based experience system
If you move to a mission based structure, then you can add in end-level scoring. The same way the hologram side mission component of MUA 1 had a bronze/silver/gold scoring system, but in the main game it just came to grinding your way to high levels. Incorporate something like this into the mission system. Provide mission scores based on kill count, health lost, speed, and completed objectives, and have these form the basis for character and team upgrades. Instead of levels, it would be relatively easy to incorporate a point buy system that utilizes a skill tree for everything from new powers to stat upgrades. The increase of power levels seemed pretty incremental in the first game. If you use points to buy into stat upgrades, that will make each new point sunk into speed, strength, or whatever that much more apparent in actual gameplay, and the desire to gain gold medals or A-ranks or whatever on each mission with each character/team will increase replay value.

3) Superheroes who feel like superheroes
It shouldn't take you 32 punches to take down a mook. Marvel heroes should be able to rip their way right through hordes of HYDRA/AIM/Doombots/whatever. Focus less on polishing up character models. With the camera perspective and the beat-em-'up style, these are less important aspects anyway. Focus more on fitting a lot of models on screen. Give the players a lot of enemies to rip through at any given time. This will play into the focus on arcade style and kill count and make the gameplay that more frenetic and difficult. If we're going to draw from recent events, I'd suggest either a Marvel Zombies or Secret Invasion pastiche. This would allow a rationale behind a wide range of enemy types in larger numbers.

4) Make teams matter.
The small little stat boosts afforded to the "classic teams" in the first game were stupid. The idea of creating your own team is fun, but less so when you're just limited to making a single team. Include a stable of teams and the ability to make more than one team of your own and swap through them. Have a number of pre-established teams on the roster, with their own individual growth trees and special bonuses. The Fantastic Four, for instance, would start as the classic four but allow the option to open up other classic FFers to the roster, as well as team bonuses that actually fit the team, so the FF doesn't develop in the same way that the Avengers might. This gives players an incentive to play as combinations of characters they otherwise might not, and it opens up the strategic option of choosing a team based on the nature of the mission. Given the change to a mission-based structure, I'd take out the option to swap out characters on the fly. Too often that ability just made things too easy n the first game. You could possibly put in the option of having team reserve members immediately come in to replace fallen heroes, which would increase the value of opening up reserve slots. I'd have the first 15-20% of missions require specific teams to be used, as a means to develop a rational and meaningful plot, and also to incorporate characters that players would otherwise just overlook. Afterwords, you could obviously replay the mission with any team or combination of characters. The last 80-85% of the game would open up and utilize player created teams with occasional team-specific missions still peppered throughout, possibly as side missions.

5) Less interchangable characters
Brief changes in dialogue based on who's on the team isn't enough. The opportunity is there for a truly epic story, but as long as the plot is generic enough to just fit in any group of disparate characters, it's going to be bland and have no real emotional meaning. I know the ability to play as whoever you want is key, but it would be nice to have more missions that require one or two specific characters, so you can have actual character and story conflict. It would also be nice to see the "side missions" from the original game actually looped into the main game. "Wolverine's trying to break out of Weapon X. Get 30,000 points" is fine, but is it really so hard to put a little window dressing on top and slip it into the actual setting?

6) Rocket Raccoon
Please?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back