Mike Carey & Jae Lee to precede Millar & Land on Ultimate Fantastic Four for 2 issues

E

Excelsior Club
Former "Sentry" and "Fantastic Four 1234" artist Jae Lee has revealed in an interview with Dynamic Forces that he will be providing art on a Mike Carey ("Ultimate Elektra")-penned arc in Ultimate Fantastic Four.

DF: What's your next big project?

JAE LEE: I'll be drawing a stand alone issue of Hulk #82 written by Peter David. It's a dark and moody tale of tragic love for the Hulk. I'm also doing a story arc on Ultimate Fantastic Four with Mike Carey from Vertigo fame. And then, I'll be starting up a new series for Marvel that I can't talk about yet. Let's just say I've worked on this series before. A long, long time ago.

The interview an be read at http://www.dynamicforces.com/htmlfiles/interviews18.html

Mark Millar revealed in a related thread at Millarworld that Carey/Lee would indeed author issues 19 and 20...

Yeah, the way the schedule worked out Greg would be finishing Endsong and need to have his first FF in about three weeks later. He can do eleven books a year, but if we buy him a couple of months it means we don't even have the RISK of a fill-in for the twelve issue run.

"Mike Carey and Jae will graciously help us out by doing a two-parter (issues 19 and 20) and I've asked Mike to include a two page sequence at the end that neatly seques into my opening arc. I'm really, really, really excited about this run. I've written the first two issues already and I don't want to write anything else. I'm really enjoying myself that much (much more than I even expected). You'll see what I mean, but Cross-Over is going to be HUGE."

Millar's post is found at http://www.millarworld.net/index.php?showtopic=45544

Hmm....this is veeeeeeery interesting. I'm guessing that Mike Carey is writing the UFF after Millar's leave, correct?

TheManWithoutFear said:
Could the series that he can't talk about be based around the Sentry?

Possibly, but I wouldn't think so. Marvel is very good about keeping that Jenkins's baby.

icemastertron said:
Hmm....this is veeeeeeery interesting. I'm guessing that Mike Carey is writing the UFF after Millar's leave, correct?

Could be before. Someone posted at Millarworld that Land could be slowed by Phoenix Endsong, so Carey/Lee could be brought in to keep the seat warm, so to speak.

Absolutely... If it was just one arc, I think that this could work. I'm hoping that he covers the Atlantean issues before Millar comes in with a wrecking ball! ;)

From Millarworld:

19-20: [W] Mike Carey, [A] Jae Lee
21-32: [W] Mark Millar, [A] Greg Land

Land can only do, like, 11 books a year...so giving him an extra month means there's no risk of a fill-in. This is from Millar's...uh...keyboard, so it seems legit.

Freeway420 said:
From Millarworld:

19-20: [W] Mike Carey, [A] Jae Lee
21-32: [W] Mark Millar, [A] Greg Land

Land can only do, like, 11 books a year...so giving him an extra month means there's no risk of a fill-in. This is from Millar's...uh...keyboard, so it seems legit.
Thanks for the info man! :D

Yep, posted as I was updating the original post. Check that for more info. Thanks Freeway!

Yeah, I checked out some of the cover images of the some of the X-Men stuff he did in the 90's... Not too shaby...

Goodwill said:
This seems better... Now, where can I find some art by this Jae Lee cat?

As Ice said, he drew the Sentry issues (#1-5 and Sentry: Void, but not the one-shot teamup issues). I also mentioned in the first post that he drew Fantastic Four 1234 written by Grant Morrison. Both minis have been collected in trade and both should still be in print and relatively easy to find.

Interesting. I'm not really a fan of Lee's FF but I'll live...

If he draws thing the way he did on Hulk/Thing: Hard Knocks, I'm going to puke... Other than that, I'm looking forward to this...

I'm wondering if they are still going to use Land's cover for #19.

Hey, man, welcome!

Just be glad that they trimmed down the number of titles and the mini-series that were coming out at that time... Now, we've got good stuff in four titles that all seem to gell together nicely.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Latest posts

Back