Millar & Land to take over Ultimate Fantastic Four starting with #19

E

Excelsior Club
Newsarama is reporting that Marvel says the report of Mark Millar and Greg Land moving to Thor this summer is not true, and the team will instead be taking over Ultimate Fantastic Four, starting with issue #19 and following Warren Ellis.

"It's a little frustrating because there's only so many hours in the day and so many fingers on my hand. I was in New York the week before last and Joe and Dan just asked me if I'd jump onto Ultimate FF. They knew I hadn't really been involved much with the book before and had been itching to get my hands on the characters. I'd plotted the first six issues, but plotting really means writing a page and a half per issue and letting the scripwriter do all the hard work and it's just completely different from the way I'd write the book if someone had given it to me solo. So this was intriguing because I really do like the FF and am just kind of 'mildly into' Thor.

"Joe and Dan also played the guilt card massively in the sense that Brian and I really do feel like the Mummy and Daddy - he's the Mummy - of the Ultimate line and there was just nobody lined up to replace Warren the month before a bloody FF movie was coming out. The top-selling FF book didn't have a creative team while Ultimate Spider-Man had Bendis and [Mark] Bagley, Ultimates has me and [Bryan] Hitch and Ultimate X-Men has Brian K. Vaughan and Stuart Immonen. Joe and Dan said how cool it would be if Greg and I committed to Ultimate FF and we kept the Ultimate line to just four books for a long time. No more minis. No more Ultimate Fing Fang Foom or whatever. The books have maintained a lock on the top ten for four entire years now and it's pretty remarkable. It's the most successful Marvel or DC imprint of the last decade and all these factors were swimming around my head as I looked at my Thor pitch and realized that it could wait another year or whatever if it meant retaining the purity of the Ultimate line..."

Read the report/interview in it's entirety at http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24004

I think I just had an orgasm.

As good as Ellis is, the UU is realy Bendis and Millars baby. Who else can address those continiuty problems? I wait with baited breath.

As for Land, I've only ever seen his cover work, but it is exceptional.

I think I just had another one.

Well, I'm impressed. Millar does have something for the Fantastic Four and the rest of the Ultimate Universe. It'll be refreshing reading him again on a title that isn't the Ultimates and I really can't wait... Do we know how long he'll be on the title? Unfortunately, I don't think for too long, but, hey Millar is writing the Ultimate Fantastic Four!

Also, Millar DID confirm Vaughan and Immomen's run... We really need to check on Wizard's validity, don't we? That, too, is GREAT news.

He's gotta have something to do, since his run on Marvel Knights: Spider-Man is coming to an end...this should be interesting...

To be fair ive really liked warren ellis run on UFF and im sad to see him go, I love Millars work though, wonder where he`s gonna take UFF.

This is just the most awesome news besides hearing about the reunion special for AoA. I love Greg Lands art! Glad he's going to have a take in the UU! :D

I know people are going to say "what the feck has that got to do with this thread", but is anyone reading 616 Wolverine at the moment?

longshotjimlee said:
I know people are going to say "what the feck has that got to do with this thread", but is anyone reading 616 Wolverine at the moment?

I read the first 2 Millar issues, couldn't get into it, and dropped it.

I can see where you might be going with this....go on....

LS, are you saying that he can't write the FF to save his life? Because that's what I've heard people say because of the issues that they were in of Wolverine...

I hope Millar goes back to the F4 as celebrities idea. I've been waiting for that to develop.

Well, I believe, if anyone to bring the FF to the public's attention, it would be Millar. Also, wouldn't you like to see him have a team-up issue with the Torch and Spidey? It'd be the first time another writer actually did something with USM but Torch wanted to have a chance to hang out with him so why not?

Goodwill said:
Also, wouldn't you like to see him have a team-up issue with the Torch and Spidey? It'd be the first time another writer actually did something with USM but Torch wanted to have a chance to hang out with him so why not?

No. It's good for Ult. Spider-Man but Spidey in the UFF book would be out of place.

I would be interested in a modern take of the first Amazing Spidey issue where he breaks into FF's headquarters and wants to join with them for money.

Well, that could definitely be an idea! Right now, Millar seems big on the team-up stories so it is a possibility!

The only thing I'm a little apprehensive about is lack of anything happening. Not that he is bad at writing that way - Ultimates was great even when they were just sitting around. But we've already had 13+ issues of not much happening. I'd like to see them just explode on the NYC scene and on TV shows, etc. Millar also did this well in Ultimates, and I think it would translate well to UFF without being a redundant read.

Well, maybe that's what the team is lacking right now... They are pretty stale, I will admit, with just this science stuff. Why not have both the public persona and the science stuff? I agree that Millar would do an excellent job with this sort of thing, I only hope he doesn't turn this book into a political one. The last thing we need is a political science bore book.

icemastertron said:
This is just the most awesome news besides hearing about the reunion special for AoA. I love Greg Lands art! Glad he's going to have a take in the UU! :D

TELL 'EM STEVE-DAVE"

Well, he's doing the X-Men: The End covers, he will do the Phoenix: Endsong mini series, he does the cover for the Gambit series....that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Latest posts

Back