Millar talks Ultimate Fantastic Four sales

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
From his Millarworld site:

"Also, our final FF arc-- Frihgtful (sic)-- is doing 120K-plus an issue and the first part is already sold out. Weird to see UFF as the best selling Ultimates book (by a 20K margin even over Ultimates) so very good news indeed. Some people seemed shocked to see Ultimates at number 20 in the charts, btw, but fear not-- It's still selling the same 105K it usually sells. All that happened is that DC and Marvel really upped their game in the last year or so and now a number that always put you in the top 3 just scrapes the top 20. Huge promotion on the new books as our run on Ultimates winds down. We haven't lost any readers and still sell bucket-loads, it's just that everything ELSE is now selling like crazy at the same time. I remember when we first started Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men only two or three books topped 100K. Now 400K is the new ceiling and 20 titles in the charts are clearing 100K. It's very heartening to see how much the industry has recovered in five years. And, of course, my Civil War book is still numero uno by a huge margin so I can afford to be quite Christ-like and relaxed about it all.

MM
"

Ice said:
From his Millarworld site:

"Also, our final FF arc-- Frihgtful-- is doing 120K-plus an issue and the first part is already sold out. Weird to see UFF as the best selling Ultimates book (by a 20K margin even over Ultimates) so very good news indeed. Some people seemed shocked to see Ultimates at number 20 in the charts, btw, but fear not-- It's still selling the same 105K it usually sells. All that happened is that DC and Marvel really upped their game in the last year or so and now a number that always put you in the top 3 just scrapes the top 20. Huge promotion on the new books as our run on Ultimates winds down. We haven't lost any readers and still sell bucket-loads, it's just that everything ELSE is now selling like crazy at the same time. I remember when we first started Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men only two or three books topped 100K. Now 400K is the new ceiling and 20 titles in the charts are clearing 100K. It's very heartening to see how much the industry has recovered in five years. And, of course, my Civil War book is still numero uno by a huge margin so I can afford to be quite Christ-like and relaxed about it all.

MM
"
Millar just doesn't do a good job as coming across as humble in my opinion.

...huh. can't say i expected UFF to be the highest Ultiamtes title. I woder if Carey can keep that steam up?

Ice said:
What do you mean?
I couldn't point to a line, but the way he talks about his own titles makes him sound like he hold himself in very high esteem.

MaxwellSmart said:
I couldn't point to a line, but the way he talks about his own titles makes him sound like he hold himself in very high esteem.
Well if I had books selling high numbers, I'd be damn proud and talk like that, just like almost anyone would.

Ice said:
Well if I had books selling high numbers, I'd be damn proud and talk like that, just like almost anyone would.
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it. I was just commenting that he doesn't speak very humbly about his success.

TheManWithoutFear said:
:sure:

What you've never bragged before?
I'm not saying it's makes him a bad person or anything. I just enjoy commenting on how everyone's still human and susceptible to pride. That and I'm holding a bit of a grudge against him for the delays on Ultimates.

God knows I've bragged about things that were less deserving than writing a top selling comic book.

MaxwellSmart said:
Millar just doesn't do a good job as coming across as humble in my opinion.

Sure, Millar did a little bragging, but he does have the right since a lot of his books are on the top. But from the way he phrases it, he is actually happy that the comic book industry is doing so remarkably well that his Ultimates 2 book which is still selling for over 100k, ended up only in 20th place since a lot of others are doing a hell of a lot better.

Last edited:
cmdrjanjalani said:
But from the way he phrases it, he is actually happy that the comic book industry is doing so remarkably well that his Ultimates 2 book which is still selling for over 100k, ended up only in 20th place since a lot of others are doing a hell of a lot better.

I agree.

Can anyone verify the numbers Millar is using? Have comic books really quadrupled their sales in the last 5 years?

Ultimate MJ said:
Can anyone verify the numbers Millar is using? Have comic books really quadrupled their sales in the last 5 years?
Hey, this has been a big five years for comics, what with all the comics that have been adapted to the big screen.

Ultimate MJ said:

He didn't say that. How do you infer this? From the 100K to 400K as the new "ceiling" for a best selling book comment? That doesn't mean a quadrupling of comics as a whole.

BTW, anyone knows which title sold about 400 000 copies? For may, Civil War sold 260 000 which is indeed very impressive compared to sales 5 years ago but is still far from the 400k mark. I think he was just exagerrating.

Last edited:
Ultimate MJ said:
Millar got them from Marvel. They're real.

E.Vi.L. said:
BTW, anyone knows which title sold about 400 000 copies? For may, Civil War sold 260 000 which is indeed very impressive compared to sales 5 years ago but is still far from the 400k mark. I think he was just exagerrating.
There's this:
Ice said:
Millar on numbers:

Mark Millar said:
Great time at a friend's place in the countryside for the last week (more on this later), but had an email from Marvel marketing with some cracking sales info on the first three issues. MCW issue one is now pushing towards 400K and should surpass this with the next printing. Issue 2 is pushing 300K and orders-- initial bloody orders-- for issue three are ALREADY almost 340K. Bear in mind that re-order activity on these books is huge and I have another big surprise in this issue and it's not unrealistic to suspect that this issue might just pass the 400K mark too. I'm bloody delighted so thanks very much. Lovely news to come back to.

I'm stunned to see FF as the best selling Ultimate title!!! Everytime i go to the comic book stores is see the comics just sitting there collecting dust.

vader said:
I'm stunned to see FF as the best selling Ultimate title!!! Everytime i go to the comic book stores is see the comics just sitting there collecting dust.

Same here. My shop emails the ship lists every Friday which include his order numbers. Few books come anywhere near Ultimates 2 in order numbers.

Regarding the 400,000 thing - looks like Millar is counting his chickens before they hatch. Don't get me wrong, these days any comic sells that many issues that's a great thing, but the fact is it hasn't. Will it? Probably. But it hasn't yet.

E said:
Regarding the 400,000 thing - looks like Millar is counting his chickens before they hatch. Don't get me wrong, these days any comic sells that many issues that's a great thing, but the fact is it hasn't. Will it? Probably. But it hasn't yet.
He said that there is books going to pass it, not that they have already.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
He didn't say that. How do you infer this? From the 100K to 400K as the new "ceiling" for a best selling book comment? That doesn't mean a quadrupling of comics as a whole.

Mmmm.. I think you described why inferred this better than I could. Well done.

Latest posts

Back