Millar talks Ultimate Fantastic Four with ComiX-Fan

E

Excelsior Club
[imgl]http://ultimatecentral.com/images/news-millar.jpg[/imgl] ComiX-Fan has an interview up with upcoming Ultimate Fantastic Four writer Mark Millar, in which Millar talks a little about his upcoming run as well as how the team fits in with The Ultimates.

CXF: It's recently been announced you're returning to Ultimate Fantastic Four after handing the reins off to Warren Ellis. What are your plans for that title?

MM: Like I said, I want to make the book enormously idea-driven and packed tight with content. No story runs for more than three issues. This won't be a Junior Reader book in the same way that my Superman Adventures books were, but I really like writing material children can enjoy and my Superman Adventures books were very popular with adults too. Nobody actually BOUGHT my bloody stuff in those days, but the people who bought them really liked them and I was lucky enough to be nominated for a few Eisners and so on.

I'd really like to tap into that sense of fun and wonder that's really at the heart of the FF and do the kind of book that a kid can enjoy as much as all those people who buy Ultimates 2 every month. The first storyline is called Crossover and it's a meeting between our young Reed Richards and the denizens of a parallel universe he discovers featuring a Reed and Sue who tied the knot a few years back, have a couple of kids and have an Avengers where the Ultimate FF have The Ultimates. Sound familiar? After this, we have Tomb of Namor and the undersea pyramids of Atlantis and then we round off the year with two other three parters I can't talk about yet.

I'm writing the Namor story at the moment and they've given us an extra couple of issues head-start (courtesy of Mike Carey and Jae Lee) so the brilliant Greg Land can draw all twelve issues of our run without delays or interruptions. I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying this book. I'm really having a good time on everything at the moment, but this is such a change of pace for me that I just can't wait to get stared in the mornings.

CXF: Speaking of the Ultimate Universe, careful readers (read: obsessive compulsive fanboys, like yours truly) have noticed a small continuity glitch in the titles. Early in your first volume of The Ultimates as the team is forming, you make mention of the Fantastic Four. But in the first story arc of Ultimate Fantastic Four during their first adventure, the Ultimates are mentioned. So...which came first? Is this the first Ultimate time paradox? Is Kang involved somehow? Or should we all just relax and enjoy life?

MM: Just blame bloody Bendis for not reading Ultimates #2!!! Actually, he was laughing about this recently and asked me to cover this as soon as possible in Ultimate Fantastic Four and I have this little thing that covers it all in two panels in my first issue. I won't spoil and it's so tiny that only the eagle-eyed will even spot it.

Read the interview in its entirity - complete with lengthy discussion on Wolverine and Millarworld titles - at http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/showthread.php?t=32486

UltimateE said:
The first storyline is called Crossover and it's a meeting between our young Reed Richards and the denizens of a parallel universe he discovers featuring a Reed and Sue who tied the knot a few years back, have a couple of kids and have an Avengers where the Ultimate FF have The Ultimates. Sound familiar?
No. NO! NO!!! :panic:

icemastertron said:
I'm sorry, but if this is an 616/Ultimate Universe crossover I'm strongly against it.
I think that Ultimate and 616 should be held seperate and never meet.
It could be a really great story but the effect of it (Spider-man vs. Ultimate Spider-man, Avengers vs. the Ultimates) can be devastating for the series. (And yes, after this many fans will demand such arcs.)

Millar sounds like he really likes this FF stuff going on... Maybe this will convince him enough to do more after he's finished, only with a different artist. Who knows, but I hear nothing but good things out of this.

One thing that I do think is going to happen is, in Crossover, there's going to be a relationship formed between Fury and Reed. I do feel like Millar mentioned the Avengers and the Ultimates for a reason and, since we haven't seen them before, now's the time to see them.

Also, is Namor dead? Why's there a tomb?

Ultimate Warrior said:
I'm sorry, but if this is an 616/Ultimate Universe crossover I'm strongly against it.
I think that Ultimate and 616 should be held seperate and never meet.
It could be a really great story but the effect of it (Spider-man vs. Ultimate Spider-man, Avengers vs. the Ultimates) can be devastating for the series. (And yes, after this many fans will demand such arcs.)
No one it was a 616/UU crossover. Have you read the thread where this is talked about? Ya know that Millar likes to toy around with people like that. And so what if it is? It can still be a awesome arc, so you nevr know.

Quesada said that would never happen. It was in the FAQ section over at the Vaughan site. Someone asked him if he'd ever want to write something like and he replied, "I don't think Joe'd let me". I don't think you have anything to worry about... There's no 616/Ultimate collaberation! ;)

The Captain said:
its called crossover, it doesnt mean it is the 616 meeting the ultimate universe.....it just means what it said, a parallel version not necessarily being the 616 universe...
Yeah I know. It was just the first thing that popped up in my head. I might have expressed me thoughts too early, but better to express your fears than to keep them locked up :wink:

icemastertron said:
No one it was a 616/UU crossover. Have you read the thread where this is talked about? Ya know that Millar likes to toy around with people like that. And so what if it is? It can still be a awesome arc, so you nevr know.
Started reading it in the beginning but...

Goodwill said:
Quesada said that would never happen. It was in the FAQ section over at the Vaughan site. Someone asked him if he'd ever want to write something like and he replied, "I don't think Joe'd let me". I don't think you have anything to worry about... There's no 616/Ultimate collaberation! ;)
Thank you! :heart:

I really wish Millar would get "Hitchy" to do at least a 3-4 issue arc on Ultimate Fantastic Four. That'd be so sweet.

Goodwill said:
Also, is Namor dead? Why's there a tomb?

I don't know but I suspect it relates to the "Undersea pyramids of Atlantis". Pyramids are, after all, tombs.

Yeah, well, I'm just not seeing Namor being the undersea version of King Tut... I'd actually like to see him as a character, you know? I think that would be more interesting than having flatline characters.

Caduceus said:
I don't know but I suspect it relates to the "Undersea pyramids of Atlantis". Pyramids are, after all, tombs.

Please, please PLEASE, Mr. Millar - give us a new take on the homeless amnesiac. That sounds right up his alley as far as writing.

UltimateE said:
Please, please PLEASE, Mr. Millar - give us a new take on the homeless amnesiac. That sounds right up his alley as far as writing.
Gotta go with E on this one. It would make a cool story, and Millar can make it cooler.

Well, right now, I'm only hoping he's alive... I don't care if he's homeless or what, I just want to see him active.

Goodwill said:
Well, right now, I'm only hoping he's alive... I don't care if he's homeless or what, I just want to see him active.
Of course he'll be alive. I don't think they'd ultimize Namor by having him dead already (not that he'll die in the future, or whatever).

Latest posts

Back