Mind MGMT discussion (spoilers)

E

Excelsior Club
Anyone read this? #1 came out last week. I saw a few comic pros raving about it on Twitter and decided to check it out.

It's really unique. There's a lot going on but it never feels like it's too much, even though the reader is getting story thrown at him from every angle.

Here's an excerpt from the CBR review of #1:

Matt Kindt's story begins with a violent scene of two people fighting one another, but as one dies, someone steps in to try to kill the victor, and so on. We don't yet have an explanation for what is happening, but I'm sure the title is our best hint. Following the opening scenes we see a plane full of travelers, pilots, and flight attendants who have lost their memories in an instant. And next is a struggling (once best selling) writer that cannot manage to write her second book as she watches a news report on the two year anniversary of "The Amnesia Flight." The writer, Meru, is strangely compelled by this story, but a phone call with her agent reveals there is a great deal more here we don't yet understand. By the end of the book Meru is in Mexico and on the run with an injured CIA agent after his partner has been murdered. It's quite the story already.

In the letters page the author Matt Kindt (he's going to be co-writing Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE starting with issue 10) talks about how this is an attempt to get people reading monthlies again, and that there are tons of secrets scattered throughout the book relating to the story.

The art is unique, too...it's watercolors, and the layouts are tight...no 2 panel pages like in a lot of modern comics.

I really liked it. I like books that force me to re-read to pick up on things, like this obviously will.

#s 2 & 3 were a little harder to follow and my interest in this was starting to wane but #4 was excellent, showing the Mind MGMT training process, specifically as it related to Lyme.

Henry's backstory in #5 was great. Really tragic and amazing story.

Fox Picks Up Comic Book 'Mind MGMT' for Ridley Scott to Produce (Exclusive)

Twentieth Century Fox has picked up the movie rights to Mind MGMT, a Dark Horse comic book by indie darling Matt Kindt.

Ridley Scott is producing via his Fox-based Scott Free banner, along with Dark Horse Entertainment's Mike Richardson and Keith Goldberg.
Kindt is the writer and artist behind several acclaimed graphic novels and webcomics. Mind MGMT, launched last year, is his first ongoing series.
PHOTOS: The Making of 'The Dark Knight Rises'

The book centers on a government agency consisting of psychic spies and their greatest asset, Henry Lime. After he suffers a breakdown and loses control of his abilities, causing the populace of a town to kill one another, he goes on the run. Several years later, a true-crime author named Meru, who was part of a flight where everyone mysteriously developed amnesia, is saved by Lime and begins to investigate the agency, uncovering her own secret connection to it.

A search for a writer to adapt is under way.

I read the first issue of this. I don't know if I'm smart enough to really "get" it. I've never had that feeling before.

I read the first issue of this. I don't know if I'm smart enough to really "get" it. I've never had that feeling before.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm guessing it will read better all at once so sometimes soon I'll be trying that.

I decided to start-re-reading this. I buy it monthly and am caught up but thought I should re-read from the beginning.

I had forgotten how good the first book is. The twist is great and really well done.

This is one of the best books out there.

Latest posts

Back